PPI vs ‘Safety Inspection’ | FerrariChat

PPI vs ‘Safety Inspection’

Discussion in '612/599' started by LDP Tifoso, Jun 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LDP Tifoso

LDP Tifoso Rookie

Nov 22, 2020
    Chicago - No.Suburbs, ex-Pullman
    Full Name:
    Larry P
    Does anyone care to advise me on how to start an auction bid mildly comfortably (really just without overwhelming angst)?
    A differently nice looking 612 up on BaT now, not a Classiche model, not a lot of maintenance history, medium mileage, ... and I hope to add a bunch more. Maybe not top $$$$. Small, good, local repair shop said major service 2yrs, 1200mi ago was done fine w no issues, but nothing since. Likely some deferred maintenance; just don’t want big! surprises as soon as it changes hands.
    I’ve read the many posts/thread here that quite strongly advise a full PPI whenever there’s any question.
    Will the big-time local F-dealer’s $400 “Safety Inspection” tell me anything? beyond tire condition, etc? They won’t do “PPI” out of liability concerns. Gotta jump asap just to try arranging even that.
    Or do I really just need to prepare to pay my $90k to see what’s really behind Door No. 1 ??
    Great! having been on the sidelines here, now hoping to get into your club.
    Thanks to & for all.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    To quote Clint: “You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?” Well, do you, punk?' ”

Most folk prefer a level greater reassurance for their first Ferrari than that provided by an auction

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    The BEST money you will ever spend is on the cost of an inspection for a car you DO NOT buy!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Is there a reputable, experienced independent nearby that can do a proper PPI?

Jaguar36 likes this.
  5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just a guess, but the dealer may do close to a real PPI and note items beyond a safety issue. They just don't want to call it a PPI and have you come back at them if they miss something wrong with the car. Talk to the dealership and ask what they look at with a safety inspection.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Assuming the car is still within the age/mileage limits for Ferrari's New Power warranty, you could ask them do the inspection for that ... it would be, in theory, pretty comprehensive. If the car passes and you buy it, you could purchase the warranty as well.

The problem with BAT is you don't want to spend the $$$ on the inspection and then not win the car. Unless the seller will agree to let you out or re-negotiate on a bad report, but I believe at that point you will still owe the BAT premium, so it could be a very expensive PPI.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. LDP Tifoso

LDP Tifoso Rookie

Nov 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Larry P
    Thank you gents.
    You're right msark, vjd3, upfront PPI in an auction is just a 'loss/over-payment prevention' entry fee. I'd not hesitate to do it in a straight offer/sale.
    As for independents and the dealer vjd, nospin, - The good independent who did the major 2 yrs ago recalled no issues and spoke well of the multi-F owner. He's 2-wks out on availability. Mileage at 36k is beyond warranty and the local dealer (RonT) is 2000 miles from me/mine (Lk.Forest). RT says they wont comment on finish, interior, non-visibly-inspectable items.
    There's now a link on the Ferrari owners classified forum here. Glad to hear anyone's reaction.

8. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    And it may be that others are already sniffing around that car too - I know the car you're referring to. I'd use the "contact seller" tab on BaT and find out if a PPI has already been done by someone or is in the process. I'm not suggesting you forego doing one, just that you might be able to share that expense and hassle with another interested party and split the cost. You may still be competing or perhaps not after you see the report but it still cuts down on the costs and logistics when you're working with a compressed time frame.

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I think they will do the New Power warranty for 12 years and 56k miles ... not sure what year the car in question is.

10. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I follow BAT and I also own a 2007 612. Sorry, but I dont think it is a 90K car. Based on sales history on BAT it is probably an 80K car at best. It seems to be in average condition and it does have “higher” mileage. It clearly also has leather issues (clearly on the back parcel shelf and on the headliner) and likely on the dash (though hard to tell). That and the stickies are common problems that you just have to accept and deal with. From the description and the known repairs it sounds like a reasonable car and you probably would be safe up to 80K BUT you will never really know without a PPI. Ron Tonkin is a well known dealer and if you had a safety inspection and could talk to the mechanic that performed it, that would help, but still not bullet proof. Unless the color combination just screamed out to you and you had to have it, there are lot of reasonable alternatives that are likely safer and on which you could have a PPI performed.

11. LDP Tifoso

LDP Tifoso Rookie

Nov 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Larry P
    Thanks for the frank opinions Ron.
    I do see it the same way. Hopefully a nice driver car, with some nice options and a different, gentlemanly? look, and maybe ... (with mileage and ‘looks’ issues) not bid up to a higher level as are many lately.

12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    So Larry, it sold for $73K. Probably a fair price for what it was. Were you a bidder?

13. LDP Tifoso

LDP Tifoso Rookie

Nov 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Larry P
    Yes indeed I was. One of two, but finished in 'Second Place'.
    (My family home town in northern Italy is Tresche Conca, a 'suburb' of Asiago, pictured with my name)
    Watched the clock tick down with $74 on my screen, but couldn't hit <Enter> again. The surprising quiet of the whole thing (I've watched so/too many) kind of spooked me. We e-mailed earlier, but wasn't able to get back to the owner in time to ask/arrange even that 'Safety Check' with RT.
    I am glad the purchaser is an 'owner', not a re-seller, and I do hope it's all he hopes.
    ... and Thanks for the 'condolence' check-up here.

14. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Well good for you Larry. At the price it went for it was not a “steal” so you didn’t lose out $ wise. There are lots of nice 612s and they come up for sale fairly regularly on BAT. So I am sure that you will find what you are looking for at the right price. They are great cars to own (mine is a daily driver) and I am sure you will find one soon.