Windshield "halo" after removing sticker | FerrariChat

Windshield "halo" after removing sticker

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by POLO35, Jun 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Hey guys I've got a 92 348 but regarding my Mercedes, a few years ago I stuck a small Ferrari badge on the rear windshield. Thought it looked pretty cool at the time. Well... I peeled it off the other day very carefully by hand, no razor blade...cleaned it real good with mineral spirits and now there is a Halo in the glass that I just can't seem to get out. Let me tell you I have tried everything..., compound Polish, goof off even buffing with a high speed buffer and a mild compound. Have even tried various solutions like CLR lime away rustaid et cetera just in case the Halo was like a hard water deposit... nothing will touch this. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Put on a new badge….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomberlin, EastMemphis and 350MH83 like this.
  3. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    any chance it could be that the rest of the glass is in fact in a poorer condition because it was not protected by the badge?

jjtjr and 19633500GT like this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You see it because you know it's there, I bet no else notices it!

5. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Try steel wool.
    Rub lightly.

6. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    0000 fine steel work will work. Trust me

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Does the rear window by chance have an aftermarket tinting film on the inside of the car ?

8. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    An excellent idea I'll try the steel wool I even thought about some 2000 grit wet sandpaper but I'm afraid to go there. There is tint but the Halo is definitely on the outside of the glass if you look at it at a correct angle in the light you can see it I'll try to take a photo but like one of the earlier posters said no one would probably ever notice it I'm probably just obsessing over it! I will report back for sure

9. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    You can have the glass polished. Or they make a glass polishing kit you can order online. Either way that would take care of the problem if it a surface issue. However if the sun has somehow faded either a tint or laminate in the glass, you might be SOL.

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Not the smartest idea.
    More often than not, any attempt to sand or polish chips, discoloration or scratches, etc from automotive glass creates "other" problems, which often are worse than the one being addressed.
    With aftermarket (inside) tint, the "halo"(?) could just be a reflection from (or on) the film which may have become discolored differently due to long term shade exposure provided by the decal.
    And even with just OEM tint, long term exposure with any decal, adhered either inside or outside of the glass, etc can cause discoloration of the OEM laminate film or even if the glass itself is manufactured from tinted liquids.

11. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Appreciate all of the suggestions. The steel wool did work! It was as if there was 5 years of hard water deposits around and under the sticker. There is however still a very, very slight Halo but appears to be from the tint which did not fade at the same rate as the surrounding tint as suggested by someone all is good!

Need4Spd likes this.