Mondial QV & 348 wheels?? | FerrariChat

Mondial QV & 348 wheels??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ENZ10 1, Aug 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ENZ10 1

ENZ10 1 Karting

Aug 22, 2006
    stoke on trent
    Full Name:
    john stephenson
    recent 1st time Ferrari owner, I have a 1985 Mondial QV, have bought a set of 348 alloys in 17", can anyone confirm the 348 original standard tyre fitment sizes front and rear for these wheels please and if I need spacers, ( what size) to fit them to my QV
    many thanks
    grreat site
    js

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Birdman has done this on my old car. Perhaps he'll chime in! Welcome!

-Peter

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Oh jeez, from the top of my head I think the fronts are 17/50/215, and the rears are 17/45/255 or maybe it's 265?

4. hackrider

hackrider Karting

Feb 9, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    83 QV Mondial, I have 348 wheels on mine. 3/4" spacer in rear none in front. 215/50 and 255/45.

These work out to within 1/4" larger in diameter than the TRX 240's that came standard on mine.

Dave

5. ENZ10 1

ENZ10 1 Karting

Aug 22, 2006
    stoke on trent
    Full Name:
    john stephenson
    Dave and guys , many thanks, will get the associated spacers and bolts I need to make it all work,, matter of interest in case anyone didnt know, while talking to Maranello and backed up by Graypauls Ferrari, guess how much ONE original wheel bolt is for a Mondial , inc QV models, bearing in mind most original bots are £20, non originals £9,,, ,, an outrageous £117.60 plus VAT each, thats approx £2,500 ( $4800 US) for the complete set, the guys at the parts department couldnt resist in telling me,. so have the main dealers sold any such bolts,, you bet they have,, who are these buyers???
    js

6. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Simple answer to this is.......the wheels just bolt straight on and you'll need as set of 348 bolts from Hill engineeringfor around £225

7. hackrider

hackrider Karting

Feb 9, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #7 hackrider, Aug 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I love dredging up old threads! I know this thread is 15 years old, but...
    --I have a set of 348 wheels to go on my '84 Mondial QV.
    --I understand from this thread (and several others) that the wheels "just bolt on", but that neither the stock Mondial bolts nor the stock 348 bolts will work. Instead, you need longer versions of the 348 bolts, specifically:
    --17mm hex head, M14x1.5 thread, ball seat, 58mm in front, 55mm in back.

But in this thread "hackrider" advocates putting a 3/4" spacer on the back so the wheels fit the wheel wells better. 3/4" is around 19mm. Spacers seem to be in mm, so a 20mm spacer (like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/202663090125) should do the trick, assuming that center flange size is ok....but then I'd need 75mm lug bolts? Those seem pretty extreme, though Hill Engineering actually has lengths up to 80mm. Anyone still active here with a Mondial with 348 wheels? Are you running spacers in back? I'd love to see pics of cars without spacers (hackrider, aka Dave, nicely provided a pic of the wheels with 3/4" spacers).

I see "58mm in front, 55mm in back" in several threads, which suggests most people are using the wheels without spacers?

Thanks!

ellum likes this.
  9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I have a set of 348 wheels I plan to put on one of my mondials. I think they look better with the 20mm spacers.

take your 348 wheels, take a piece of 3/4" thick wood, drill a hole in the wood to simulate the spacer. run one of the lugs you have on hand and see how much more length you need to go into the hub. Maybe save a little back and forth when ordering.

10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  11. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
  12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'm pretty sure yes without

13. snoutmeat

snoutmeat Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    My posting above erroneously says ball seat. They are cone seat. Cone seat. Cone seat! I wish the forum would let me edit the original post. Don't want to mislead anyone.

Also: I don't want to sound cheap, but at this time, Hill Engineering wants 11.50 (pounds, not dollars) per bolt, so 600 pounds/ $830 shipped for the set.

A company called Otis Inc LA, a US importer which mostly specializes in lug nuts and lug bolts from European manufacturers, has M14x1.5 thread, cone seat, 55mm for the backs (to not foul the parking brake), and 60mm for the fronts (2mm longer than needed, but no parking brake to get in the way, so longer should be no problem). Manufacturer is "RAD" from Germany, not a generic Chinese bolt of dubious quality from an anonymous factory. These are NOT CHROME and do not use a 22mm socket, but they are also 1/10 the price at $2 per bolt. With shipping, my total was $56. For now, these will be just fine for me, I think. If the 17mm non-chromed heads bug me, I can cap them with chrome lug bolt covers.

https://otisincla.com/product/rad-lug-bolt-14mmx1-5-60mm-shank-cone-seat-17mm-hex/

https://otisincla.com/product/rad-lug-bolt-14mmx1-5-55mm-shank-cone-seat-17mm-hex/