TopGear Roma vs DB11, Conti, TTS | FerrariChat

TopGear Roma vs DB11, Conti, TTS

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by California Dreams, Jun 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you agree with TopGear?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
  2. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
  3. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for providing the link. Interesting take on the Roma. I get the issue with the controls, everyone mentions that but the comments on the chassis are odd. I think what he calls nervous other might call engaging. I would expect throttle induced oversteer. The Roma's weakness is its rear tire width relative to torque, it needs a much larger rear contact patch.
    Interesting that Jeromy Clarkson raved about the Roma. Maybe Top Gear just wants to dislike it because Clarkson does. Placing the Bentley 2nd out of these 4 just doesn't make sense to me. Its a fine car but more focused on luxury that performance.

4. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I stopped caring what other people think a loong time ago.:mad:

rob5819 likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You cannot add a wider rear to the Roma without adding to the front. It already pushes way too much as is. Maybe SF90 wheels with 275/35R20 and 305/35R20 in the rear will work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Don't know about that. My test drives were not adequate to test the front end grip. I just noticed the rear end coming lose, couldn't push it hard enough to experience understeer. Never the less, the handling is not balanced as there is definitely an oversteer condition that appears first. The car would benefit from larger tires all the way around but just doing the rear would move towards a more balanced car.
    Do you know if the tires sizes your referenced would fit?

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The rears would, but honestly not sure about the fronts. Just checked the SF90 offset again, and I think a set of F8 wheels with 265 in the front might work better. That will still net you about 31mm extra tread in the front per tyre. One interesting thing about the K2 Michelins for the Porto and Roma is how narrow that front tread is for a 245 section tyre. It is 8.3". A non-OE MPS4S has a tread widt of 8.6". The 245 K1 for the Lusso is 8.7" and the Porsche N spec is 8.8". The tread of the 265 is 9.5" so loads of rubber will be added to the front. 20 minutes of negative camber would not hurt either.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’m happy to trust Ferrari’s engineers on tyre size.

9. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    can't comment on that but when I was driving roma i drove it at speeds above 300kmh. It is a great car but it doesn't change the fact that it was randomly spinning the wheels at any speed below 150kmh. that wasn't pleasant. obviously something is not taken care of properly.

i liked the car in general but there were also things i didn't like, and the top gear article spots many of them.