The BORA | Page 40 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Forget about the rear. I did see once car that had one mounted on the cross rail over bell housing. That seemed to me like it would act more like a preheater. As I look at the photo of his installation it look to be on the far left (facing the vehicle) behind the bumper and ahead of the headlight bucket. You could do that.

Another choice is to use a laminar type oil-to-water cooler.

http://www.laminova.com/products/oil-coolers

I put one of these on my historic race car because of front end packaging issues that limited the size and placement on an air cooled unit.
    That could be located in the engine compartment but on an already overly taxed cooling system like the Bora's I'm not sure there's much point? That does eliminate the long oil lines require to get to the front which are a PITA for full oil changes. Maybe he has an electric oil pump to help with that? Once emptied it's better to fill it by not diverting all the oil from the engines oil pump to do so. A thermostat will help you prevent that. It will trickle fill the cooling system when the oil is cold. But the thermostat would need to be close to the engine's oil oil pump and not at the front of the car. An oil priming system could also help. I have one of those on my 84 Biturbo which does also have air oil cooler up front. That car also has factory liquid intercoolers, one for each side of the V6. Talk about hoses and PUMPS!

2. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Bob.
    I also looked at the water to oil cooler similar to the likes of the one's that Porsche have on the 911's but i also ruled that out however with the cooling system working more effectively now with the 12" fans and the auxiliary fan it could be something to revisit .
    It can be so easy to over complicate things and that is why i have tried to keep within the original system and improve on it where possible.
    Regards
    Greg

staatsof likes this.
  3. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    In the video below they say that: “564 Boras were produced in total. The existing number is said to be less than 200.”
    Less than 200? I find that hard to believe.
    Nevertheless, I think this is a beautiful Bora in the video.

71Satisfaction, ralt72 and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    It's a lovely video and it really does a good job of showing how beautiful the Bora is but I too think that there are more than 200 Boras still out there. I wonder just how many of the cars are left, drivable and not drivable?

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014

A really very tasteful video with suitable background music, but you shouldn't be distracted by it.
    If it is supposed to be the earliest Bora, why does it have the round pop-up headlights, the attached antenna on the right fender,
    that late steering wheel, a very strange gear knob ...
    Of course, these things could have been converted over the years.
    I'm not saying it can't be an early Bora, but I would be very interested in the real VIN of this car.

;)

71Satisfaction likes this.
  6. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    The unusual two bumps on each side of the rear bumper could be plugs for the mounting holes of the rubber bumperettes added to the '73 and '74 US cars.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's an artistic video ... not an informative one that highlights all great design aspects about the car. Very light weight. Nuff said

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  8. ANF289

ANF289 Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
    Early is indeed relative... clearly not a 71 or early 72 production date, but a very nice video!

9. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    A nice video of a restored Bora however the door mirrors and taillights have me a little puzzled. As Astonished 78 mentioned if this is a 71 model the headlight bucket should be squared off. I am so l delighted to see enthusiast restore these buffaloes cars

10. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Spell check.. Beautiful

11. christof schlicht

Mar 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    christof

I have been trying to find information about wrecked or destroyed Boras, but there is really not much!? ( Thank God!!!)
    These pictures are the only ones, I ever found from different sources:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Banable offense! ;)

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Bob,
    Could this be David Keeler’s old car? I don’t remember its vin but it was I believe an early car. I know Jacques bought the car which could explain it having parts from later cars.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's yellow. So was Stephen James car right? That one saw ocean water flooding in the early 2000s. It ended up in Texas with that guy who bought a lot of troubled Maseratis in eBay auctions.

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The yellow car video was shot in Japan.

The black and white head on crash comes from my book, the chassis number is mentioned.
    That is the evening accident Francois Migault, driver of the Thepenier Bora Group 4 was an innocent victim of near Sable in the Sarthe when a farmer pulled out without looking which killed the farmer's wife. Francois just had a knee broken. It was a Thepenier car on loan to him.

16. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Wow, the driver walked away from that crash with only a broken knee! That's incredible when you look at the damage. The Bora was no lightweight and it shows that is was superbly well designed for protection of people inside of it. Do you know if Giugiaro and Ital Design, designed it with a front crush zone incorporated? I still can't get over the fact that the driver walked away with less than severe injuries. Amazing!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Not a Bora, but the same structure. This happened last month in Dallas. I removed the picture of the owner. He wasn't hurt, but he looked pretty unhappy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The other car, a Peugeot 404 station wagon, was fairly light, 1070 kilos, even though he hit it at the front of its right side. François was overtaking another car but driving no more than 110kph when the farmer in the 404 emerged onto the road. He was 28 then, a professional racing driver, you know how to brace in the instant before the hit, trust me, I have been through that in racing a few times. He and his passenger wore seatbelts, far from obvious back then. His passenger just needed stitches to a knee, that is even more amazing.

The street Bora written off in this accident was AM117-428.

20. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Bora Carpet,

does anyone know if the carpet through the interior cabin, front boot, and engine cover is all the same? I’m replacing all carpet going with the correct Wilton wool but what I’m finding is there is possibly a difference in color texture in the boot and engine bay.
    I’m finding if cabin carpet is black, red, tan, etc the boot and engine bay is still a salt and pepper wool loop but I have also found in very few examples when black is the cabin color the boot and engine bay is black also.

can anyone help with this mystery

thank you

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This varied by model year. Mine is the last one and the carpet in engine bay matched that of the trunk a kind of speckled dark grey but the interior carpet is totally different in color and style with a rubber backing that dissolved when the LMH leaked from the connectors on the seat cylinder. I think there may be more than one style of that OEM trunk and engine cover carpeting but they're pretty close. Lots of guys redid the engine bay carpeting with something else non stock.

Good luck and ask MIE for a sample. Maybe even Fabio @ Maserati or some of the suppliers in Modena such as Candini.

308nut likes this.
  22. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    If I remember correctly the Bora went through USA crash testing program and passed on the first test. I vaguely remember that possibly the Ferrari Daytona or another Ferrari of that era needed several crash test to pass.

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    If you ever seen a Daytona during restoration you understand why, lots of fiberglass around the passenger compartment.

24. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    Hopefully someone has run into this issue before. I went to start the Bora the other day, no nothing, and when we tested the battery it showed 0.0 volts, a first, haven't seen a battery do that in 50+ years. But I wasn't sure how old the battery was, so I replaced it with a new one. Car starts fine, but voltmeter is a shade under 12, and the generator light comes on when the key is out ! Has anyone run into anything like this ? Voltage regulator, Rectifier, Alternator ? What is the best source for electrical bits ?

Attached Files:

25. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Do you have a copy of the wiring schematic? Follow the wire(s) at the Generator light and see where they connect, how it is triggered, and how it relates to the ignition wires or ground. I'd look for a weak or false ground at the voltmeter.. so expect pull the instrument panel forward and check things there, but look at schematic first.

Also check the fundamentals:
    - Fuses at the passenger footwell and fuses at the firewall.
    - Check the positive accessory wires at the battery cable terminal - the 'sugar cube connector' can often have faulty connectivity..

Let us know what you find..
    - Art