NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 165 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rei24

rei24 Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Klaus
    GREAT NEWS, Tom! :)

hanspeterk. likes this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    jm2, SmokyDave and Rosey like this.
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #4103 F1tommy, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Latest June 2021 1/12th Hiro model clue shows Mira test track in England. Maybe a 1/12th Jaguar D-type?? I think the XJ13 flipped at Mira so maybe it could be that :)

4. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I think you called it right! My money is on the XJ13.

F1tommy likes this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Lusso123 and gt4me like this.
  7. scudetto1959

scudetto1959 Karting

May 4, 2012
    The pictures on this page prove again, that the aestethically most pleasing sports car designs were created in the 1960's...

GirchyGirchy, Rosey and F1tommy like this.
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The Hiro 1/12th Aston Martin DBR1's wheels are 16 inches to scale. Not sure if they ran other sizes but they did run 16 inch at some races. The tires are to small for sure. I think you could use the rears on the front and would have to find new bigger rears. Hiro has a big weakness, tires. They seem to mess them up alot.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Not sure if any of you noticed this(other than MB), but DBR1/2 retained it higher Lemans tail for Goodwood 1959 in September. They removed the rear wheel covers and brought the front wheel flares back to almost normal stock. That is the model I will make as it's IMO the best looking version of the DBR1.

10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Well that's good news for me. I'll order one of these kits and either use some tires I have if they fit, or have new tires made, which will be a lot more work, but I really want to have this model. It will sit alongside my old CMA Aston DBR/1 of the Nurburgring '58 winner.

JOEV and F1tommy like this.
  11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Tom, that's a great choice. Looking forward to seeing pics when you make this one.

F1tommy likes this.
  12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #4112 F1tommy, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Marshall, I remeasured the wheels with my normal micrometer and they are 37mm wich is to big. The idiots did it again, the wheels have to be replaced.

Lusso123 likes this.
  13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Looks like they made the 1/12th 250TR wheels the same size. I wonder if they will look ok, what do you think Marshall?

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Thanks Tom. I was still wondering about that a bit. Well there go my big plans! How is it that they continue to make such stupid rank amateur mistakes?! I don't want to have to deal with making all new wheels and tires for it. Maybe I'll just buy one for various parts like the engine and other bits. What a disappointment...again.:( This is the third MFH kit I would have grabbed if not for the big mistakes. Oh well....

15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    For a detailed model in this scale, I wouldn't use them. They are noticeably different with the spokes being set in (not at the edge of the rims). Sure the TR wheels would look good if the right size, but.... from a historical accuracy standpoint they wouldn't be acceptable.

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think 37mm is equal to around 17 inches in 1/12th, so an inch off on the 250TR and DBR1 wheels to scale. I know their tires are off alot, but the wheels to? This is really odd.

Another Profil 24 Aston Martin, the Aston Martin AMR1 Le Mans 1989 in 1/24th scale. I would really like to see a 212 in 1/24th scale also(or 1/12th if they wish :))

Image Unavailable, Please Login

gbondoni likes this.
  17. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    LOVE that XJ-13...but I bet Hiro would sell a lot more of them if he'd done it in 1/24...

F1tommy likes this.
  18. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    Speaking of which, did Hiro ever do a 312 PB in 1/24? Seems like I saw a buildup of one on a forum somewhere

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That is for sure. I like it but it never even raced. 1/24th scale would have been a smarter move. Hiro did make a 312PB in several versions in 1/43rd, 1/24th and 1/12th scales. They are all full detail.

20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Looks like Zero paints is out of Aston Martin DBR1 Sage for the rest of the century it seems :) Time to buy from the real car paint people. Could use a regular paint(with clear coat) rather than 2 part car paint, my one issue with Zero paints.

By the way I like 2 part for real cars much better, especially metallic paints. No running. Yes I also paint real cars for myself.

21. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    I've been screwing around with Gravity Colors paints lately...pretty trouble free, although the clear goes on as thick as molasses syrup; you have to shoot it judiciously. The colors shoot on as smooth as silk...

22. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    And Hiro needs to re-pop the PB's in 1/24...I bet they'd sell, too.....

23. Rich5ltr

Rich5ltr Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard Branch
    #4123 Rich5ltr, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Hi F1Tommy & Lussot23, I have just bought the DBR1/2 kit and I am looking forward to building it. I stumbled across this thread because I am looking for build threads...

Anyway, regarding the wheels, I do not think the wheels are too big, indeed according to Tommy's measurement they are spot on. Bear with me... I own a 1959 Aston Martin, admittedly not a DBR1 but it is of the era and runs on 16" wires with Avon Crossplys. I have just been out to the garage and, although the tyres are 6.00x16 the actual measurement across the very outside of the rim is just under 17.5", I've not investigated the tyres yet as the model was only delivered an hour ago!

p.s. There was some comment on the spoke arrangement but from what I can see they are again, spot on.

I intend to build it in 1959 Le Mans form so as the model is, however I am researching the correct colour. Aston Martin racing green has changed a lot over the years and the colour many of the cars are now in their current state is lighter than the '59 colour.

If there are any build threads I'd be interested in a link.

Thanks guys....

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Hi Richard,

I have only seen one DBR1 Hiro build on the Hiro facebook page. He just completed the motor and it looks stunning. As for the color that can be tricky I suppose but who really knows for sure. Aston Martin seems to have done everything to spec., especially with the race team wich always came to the tracks perfectly painted and detailed from the pictures I have seen.

Welcome to Ferrarichat. They keep expanding this site with, for example the best Maserati vintage section anywhere. So maybe Aston can be next. You must own a DB4? That is much more civilized than this DBR1 race car :)

There are some very smart people on this site from all over the world, especially with Italian cars. But most of us also love fine British and European along with a few American sports cars.

Your wheel measurements are most reassuring. I hope they did them the correct size. The tires I think from visual inspection have to be to low a profile, atleast the front ones are.

best

25. Rich5ltr

Rich5ltr Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard Branch
    F1tommy likes this.