328 Performance Modification Recommendations | Page 4 | FerrariChat

328 Performance Modification Recommendations

Discussion in '308/328' started by elms, Jun 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elms

elms Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    DCS
    Already done, and it isn’t going to be messed with.

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    There is a supercharger kit out there, but you don't see much about them, although it is the obvious best way to bolt on more power. Not sure why they are not more popular, as it would likely be a reversible mod. Maybe just too expensive for most to bother with, but still, Ferrari people tend to have funds for fun, and are often mechanically inclined.

Anyone have a view why this type of mod is not more common?

Why not do a mild boost, get the 30 hp, I don't think you even need an intercooler at a low level of boost? Or maybe you do, and it leads to more complex mods that go beyond bolt ons.

3. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    How much money do you want to spend? Here is a dyno graph (through full exhaust ) of a 2V 308 that now has a 360 crank and 85 MM bore, so its a 2V 360... or my 368GTS as I call it

I would normally not have done this upgrade, but the motor needed work, as well as the trans, and some other stuff that could only really be done with the motor out, so i figured why not...

The car does get out of its own way now and will set you firmly back in the seat, unlike before. If that 2V motor was 4V motor, the max HP would be probably 20-30 HP higher, and further up the RPM range of course, though the HP/RPM curve below ~6K RPM wouldn't change much.

Doug
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

elms likes this.
  4. elms

elms Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    DCS
    Circa £10k in parts is what I have in mind.

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    That'll buy a supercharger! There are posts somewhere here re this one: https://928motorsports.com/parts/ferrarisupercharger308-328.php I almost bought it for my birthday two successive years back in 2013-14 but on both occasions the taxman intruded and informed me he needed the money I had allocated for the supercharger. My interest declined but I still sometimes think about it.

As I have stated in earlier posts, nothing else provides anywhere close to the power per dollar and the ease of achieving it compared to tearing the engine down.

elms likes this.
  6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Last I heard he stopped making the kit. Could be wrong, though.

A complete 'kit' is oddly a bit of a pain for the 308/328. Fair number of variations, little differences between chassis and yrs. Esp the mondial that shares the engine series.
    I found it easier to just build to spec. And I no longer offer it to run on CIS, sourcing the correct parts is very expensive now that Porsche values have skyrocketed. EFI is far better suited to the job and tuning is simple. But all that drives cost into the $20k ballpark... The head unit alone is $3k for the rotrex.

I honestly prefer a turbo for simplicity, but have yet to figure how to package it without the heat/thermal issues. Gut the trunk and your golden, otherwise it's that fight for space and not melting everything. I've toyed with the 'remote' turbo idea, no muffler, stuff turbo in it's place, but all the hose routing, etc... What a pain!

Intoxicating thrust under boost though, esp on the 3.5-4L variants..

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #82 Rifledriver, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Having owned and put a great many miles on cars with turbochargers, centrifugal superchargers and positive displacement superchargers my least favorite is the centrifugal. I could be talked into another turbo car if it was the right type and a 328 is not the right type. I'd never want another centrifugal mostly because of the bell curve power delivery. No useful help at lower rpm. Either centrifugal or PD they are cursed with a big parasitic cost and as great as PDs are if they run full time there is a big mileage penalty. Maybe not very important for this purpose.

The older I get the less I like an engine I need a lot of RPM to make it do anything and the less I like lack of response. Thats why I seem willing to pay the price of fuel mileage in my truck with a PD blower. I can spin the tires at will at 1500 RPM and my 328 with the stroke/bore with 11:1 will do a tire smoking U turn at 3000 rpm without involving the clutch. Torque and throttle response is where its at.

willrace and V4NG0 like this.
  8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I've had several turbo cars and although they were great power producers, they were all of the...floor the accelerator...rpm builds... wait...wait...wait...Holy Moly, here we go! Considerable lag. The only SC car I have ever driven was one with an aftermarket SC and it didn't have any of that lag. But I don't recall (and not sure I ever knew) what type of SC it was.

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Agree completely...
    Built a 3.5L with modified valve train, cams,etc for low/mid grunt, then added a centrifugal charger with 20psi. Intercooled.. from idle to 3.5k it was all engine, 3.5k and up it was like someone lit the afterburner... (I'll reserve the hand of god for the McLaren, that twin turbo V8 is a beast!)

And the best balanced power delivery goes to the 4L 328 NA. Smooth, low end tq that would pull from a dead stop in 4th without bogging.

And the nuttiest, another 4L but with 52mm ITB's, 348 heads, 4.5mm Ti valves, moldstar cuprate seats, dry sump.. etc.. pulling from memory, 200 ft/lb tq off idle, revs to 12k designed for 13k. Not street friendly... At all. Tire burning fun with every blip of the throttle. Pictured earlier in thread with the money dipped trumpet runners. A test development engine, 6 figure project, so I don't expect to be repeating that one.

10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The rotrex unit in my experience is the best compromise. At a 10psi max, it adds power across the board, yeah it's lower at 3k but it's still enough to be noticed. The vortech units had lag like an 80's turbo Volvo.
    The CIS deadens throttle response compared to EFI.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #86 Rifledriver, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    I had one of the last Buick Grand Nationals. Smash the throttle from a stop and by the far end of the intersection it was spinning its tires. With the automatic and never having to spool down the turbo in the wet you could do a Dukes of Hazard style crab sideways straight up the street for a long ways. It is a car that appealed to my inner juvenile delinquent. A 328 with a turbo does not.

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FWIW, I found a link showing the before/after dyno graphs of the 928 supercharger that was fitted to a Ferrari Chat owners 308. Pics also. scroll down below the kit description:
    https://928motorsports.com/parts/ferrarisupercharger308-328.php

Someone here was selling a kit a while back due to some sort of fitting issues that I cant remember. I'm sure it's long gone but who knows?

I checked with 928 and they can still put the kit together though they have none actually made up/in stock.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Still got to get it to 5000 before it is a big change and I sure would not be doing 8000 as a practice with Ferrari rods. It is a big change on top.

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Oh God, yeah factory rods won't tolerate that. Pauter or Carrillo, and update the gudgeon pin dia.

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    It would be interesting to get some info from the member who had that unit installed some years ago...

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I think you've missed the point I was making completely!

The US spec cars were rated at @ 260bhp - Only @ 10 bhp down on a Euro car, and as I understand it, had slightly lower gearing to pull back the difference in performance (stands by to be corrected on that one)

Unlike early 2 valve per cylinder 308 GTB/GTS US injection cars, 328's were not really strangled that much.

Taking into account age,and wear and tear, you are not going to notice any performance difference between a US-spec 328, and a Euro spec 328 (any claimed difference will purely be a placebo effect - You'd notice the same difference by taking a dump before driving the car!)

If you want a decent amount of power increase out of a 328, then your choices are:

1) Turbo/supercharge it - £££££££'s/$$$$$$'s
    2) Fit it with nitrous - £££££££'s/$$$$$$'s
    3) Turbo/supercharge it and fit it with nitrous - £££££££'s/$$$$$$'s
    4) Fit a shed load of race parts in the motor - £££££££'s/$$$$$$'s
    5) Fit a GM LS motor in it - £££££££'s/$$$$$$'s (and sacrilege!)
    6) Fit a later Ferrari engine into it - £££££££'s/$$$$$$'s
    7) Fit a 288 GTO/F40 engine into it - £££££££'s/$$$$$$'s
    6) Convert it to aTesla style electric motor - £££££££'s/$$$$$$'s (and sacrilege!)

There's no real free/cheap power gains to be made with the 328.

At the end of the day, It's your car, and it's your money.

Some very (and by:"very", I mean: extremely!) knowledgeable people on here (far more knowledgeable than me!), have tried to advise you that you're barking up the wrong tree, and that there aren't any real power gains to be made from taking the US smog kit off the car (it won't hurt - It simply won't gain you what you think it will)

As the old adage goes: "Speed is just a question of money - How fast do you want to go?"

Rifledriver likes this.
  17. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Ever heard of 'Bang for the Buck?'

Bezos, Musk, Buffet all KNOW IT and APPLY IT.

That is WHY, They ARE ... Who They ARE.

Having 'The Money' to do Silly S***, doesn't IMPRESS ANYONE HERE. Your wallet is WAY TOO SMALL for that. Not in this Crowd.

The Smart Guys here are,

Just trying to SAVE YOU Money, that you can BETTER SPEND ... on Hookers and Blow.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Mike C here has a supercharger on his QV.

Its been on now for well over a decade.

moysiuan likes this.
  19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    14 maybe 15yrs... I don't remember, and I'm the one who did it! Getting old sucks!

I do remember the humidity and rain in summer though! Aaaaaand the fantastic BBQ..

moysiuan likes this.
  20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I didn't know that was your work!

21. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yeah, Mike called me up, we chatted, he wanted. Flew me out, we had loads of fun. He was one of the very early takers on the set up just after I finished mine. He's version 1.0 and it's still going strong as far as I know.

22. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    That was the 928 SC kit, right?

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    If you're asking me, no it was not. I developed my own 'kit' before Carl looked at a ferrari.

24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Oh, OK. The only kits I was aware of is the Forza Kit and the 928SC kit.

25. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    That's the only ones I know of as well....

Esp since I'm the Forza kit...:D:cool:

Forza R&D is me.. teamed up with Nick back in '08~'09.