Would you buy a Ferrari that hasn’t been driven much? | FerrariChat

Would you buy a Ferrari that hasn’t been driven much?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jc1, Jun 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    I'm considering buying a 458 spider. According to the current owner, it has been driven less than 500 miles since 2017-2018. Still waiting to see service records and will most definitely have a PPI done too.

Would this concern you? Anything significant to lookout for?

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Aside from the tires being out of round and any issues with old fuel in the tank, it wouldn't bother me. I'd change all the filters and give the brakes a flush with new fluid. Pretty standard maintenance to bring it up to current day.

Rubber still degrades over time whether its used or not. So check the hoses, seals, etc. And just because the tires are "new" doesn't mean they don't need to be replaced.

You may have found a creampuff but there is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari. Pay me now or pay me later.

Boomhauer, Zanny1 and tbakowsky like this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Rubber degrades faster when it sits for long periods like this. And I'm not referring to tires, that is a different conversation.

It's probably OK though as the car itself is not very old.

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    A lot of us immediately think of the issues associated with a 40 year old Ferrari that has sat for 10.

I am no expert but I can’t imagine how anything has degraded much at all over a 3 or 4 year sit. Even modern gas tanks are a tightly sealed system so probably even the gas is okay.

It still pays to have an expert check it over though.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just fired up an old sl500 after sitting for almost 6 years. I took the fuel cap off and had a sniff..gas smelled ok..removed the plugs shot oil down the cylinders, rolled it over..put the plugs back in..and away she went..like.nothing ever happend.

Island Time likes this.
  6. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    500 miles in 4 years seems about average for a newer F-car. I wouldn't hesitate.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  7. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I like cars people haven’t messed with. For better or for worse, you know what you’re getting.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I hope this 125 miles a year thing isn't true....it's not like the regular production cars are collectible.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I may have exaggerated by calling it average, but it certainly isn't unusual. My observation is that production Ferraris tend to get used more as they age. The market puts such a large premium on low mileage cars that I think a lot of new car owners don't want to put the miles on them.

eskamobob1 and rossodino like this.
  10. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    To prove your point a friend of mine just bot a 2017 488 spider with 1500 miles on it that's not even 500 miles a year, saw it this morning looks like it just left the showroom.

11. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    I wouldn’t be afraid of a car that hasn’t been driven much especially if all the services have been done and the car has been started occasionally you should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    Thanks guys for the replies. Tires and brand new. I also spoke with Ferrari service and they didn’t seem to think it would be much of a problem on this model. Sending it to the local dealer for inspection.

13. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    If you do 500 a year the car is being used reasonably, and anything up to 3000 a year still makes the car used enough.
    More than that and you start to find its just a daily driver.

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I have owned 20 Ferraris over the last 40 years. Mostly V-12s because I like GTs. After much research and after driving a 458 for the first time I can say it's the best Ferrari that has been built....almost ever. Nearly bullet-proof my tech of 20+ years explained to me. Just bought one last month that I have not even seen in the flesh yet.

Don't worry about the miles. The 458 is not complicated and extremely reliable. Service it with a qualified tech, replace the tires and drive it!!

Thecadster likes this.