Maranellos are disappearing | Page 86 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #2126 21ATS, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    You're assuming the £78K is trade/auction price. In which case I'd agree. The thing is, if it was trade/auction, why wasn't it bought by a trader?

The problem is for the good ones they're asking £115k - £125+ Which goes back to my previous post about them being able to ask whatever they want if it doesn't matter if it sells or not.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101268368032?include-delivery-option=on&make=FERRARI&model=550&radius=1501&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=tn86qj&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=relevance&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105263113198?include-delivery-option=on&make=FERRARI&model=550&radius=1501&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=tn86qj&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=relevance&page=1

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11548128

2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That hadn’t crossed my mind tbh. A private purchaser buying at auction knows they are taking a risk, no test drive, no comeback, no warranty, no 3 month statutory rights in the UK, no free coffee. All of that typically adds up to around a 15%-20% discount for auction vs the same car retail, which is where I got my number from.

Dealer asking prices may be some way above that, but anyhow that’s what a purchaser should be paying at a dealer. Especially if the coffee is good.

3. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    In normal circumstances I'd agree with you, but how many cars have we seen run across the block that have sold for retail or above retail? (If they are in fact real sales).

We're in a bizarre market situation where people seem to be more comfortable buying sat at home on a computer than from a real world dealer.

There is also another angle, many of these dealers are not actually dealers. They are "brokers" simply aranging a sale between two private buyers, no comeback, no warranty, no statutory rights etc etc.

What's a brokers margin worth? 15%-20%?

4. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1997-ferrari-550-maranello-3

Did anyone see how high it went in the end? About hour before it was still 53.5K. So basically as high as I expected it would go when sites premium is counted in. Not sure how much seller wants but I think it is unrealistic considering based on pictures what car is.

5. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Unsold - Reserve not met.

6. Roger_N

Roger_N Rookie

Mar 9, 2021
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Roger Nelson
  7. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I looks like the high bid was $130K, but the auction reserve was not met.

8. Roger_N

Roger_N Rookie

Mar 9, 2021
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Ah, I see that now.
    Sounds like the seller had quite a reserve on it. Would have thought $130k was about market for that at auction.

rhern213 likes this.
  9. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    I know but how high it got at the end? It was 53.5k one hour before end.

10. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Did you click on the link? It clearly says what the final bid was. And several posts above also said what the final bid was. $130k.

11. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
  12. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
  13. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #2138 21ATS, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Lovely looking 550 on Collecting Cars.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2000-ferrari-550-maranello-3

A quick look at the MOT history shows it's done 1,200 miles in the last 10 years and has a really patchy MOT history.

Looks like it's been in long term storage and had little use. It'll be interesting to see what the description is on this car when it hits the live auction.

I recognise it, I'm wondering if this was up for sale at Slades last year, it would tie in with their service of it. @jtremlett ?

14. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    No problem. I guess no one knows how high that Italian no sale vent in the end. Most likely it remained at 53.5k euros or very close to it. So that is base level value inside EU for LHD with some issues and no consumer protection.

15. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I would wonder what the customer base is for an Italian car listed for sale on a UK based on line Auction platform. Probably not the best marketing given the location of the car.

16. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    The leather toolkit case is particularly unpleasant…

17. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Yeah I noticed that too, definitely signs of water ingress/mould.

18. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Slades had it for sale July 2018 to June 2019, asking £129,950 then £119,950. Then again, briefly, in May last year asking £102,950.

Incidentally, original owner, Paul Jaconelli, shown on the warranty card pictured, is Romans International (and related to Joe Macari).

The toolkit has clearly got damp but it would be worth confirming whether it is kept in the car.

21ATS likes this.
  19. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Not best but indication how soft market is. IIRR same car has been previously for sale in Mobile.de or Autoscout24.com with much higher price, 90ke euros maybe. It did not sell back then and it did not sell now. Same cars are for sale by same sellers for years and do not move no matter if they ask 90 or 120k. Real market where not so perfect examples sell fairly quickly seem to be below 70k. I'm just wondering what sellers are waiting for. Especially those sellers who are running business where plan is to actually sell cars. Someone who will possibly pay 90k after 5 year wait or what?

20. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    This mirrors me experiences and feelings over the last 4 years.

Uncared for cars with asking prices more suited to delivery mile museum pieces.

21. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I noticed the original owner but had no idea he is related to Joe Macari.

Pie in the sky asking prices as usual for what looks like a relatively uncared for car, albeit with low miles.

22. pk328

pk328 Karting

Oct 16, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bidding on the blue Collecting Cars one has shot up to over £74,000 and there's still 6 days left in the auction. Perhaps the market has cottoned on to these wonderful cars.

Cossington likes this.
  23. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Yes- really interesting! Quite a patchy history and obviously seen very little use in recent years. I guess someone likes the colours and the FHP spec?

24. Cossington

Cossington Rookie

Oct 9, 2007
    Leicestershire UK
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I think the colour scheme with Daytona seats is particularly desirable. Also, low miles, but that is a classic double edged sword. As Crocodon says, above - hardly driven in 6 years and very patchy history with the current owner.
    Looks lovely, though

25. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #2150 21ATS, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    The same bidder has driven up every 550 I've been watching on CC this year.

"Sepand" has aggressively bid every one up from the moment they listed. Including the heavily accident damaged car that sold for a head scratching amount of money.

Just an observation, up to you what you make of it.