Lusso T - Exhaust | FerrariChat

Lusso T - Exhaust

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by shifter, Mar 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I remain in love with the everyday use ability of my T, and I drive it daily.

Planning on getting it tuned to unlock some more power and thinking about exhaust mods.

Anyone install aftermarket exhaust in the T (Capristo or IPE) and can comment on the sound - and your opinion - worth it or not? Likely I wouldn’t install AM cats being in Ca, but if easy to swap them once every 2 years I could handle if the benefit is significant.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

therryzsx likes this.
  2. SFFerrari

SFFerrari Karting

Jul 21, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LanceD
    LOVE my Capristo system on my 2012 FF! Finally unleashes the F1 sound from the V12. Highly recommend this mod.

3. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Would also be interested to hear about a T with an exhaust upgrade.

4. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Me too, guess I need to be a bit of a pioneer here. Capristo is significantly more expensive for the content ~$1000 more and doesn’t include an H-pipe. IPE for ~$5400 includes rear exhaust, H pipe, and hi-flow cats.

5. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Shameless bump. :rolleyes:

shifter likes this.
  6. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Did you pull the trigger?

7. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Pin the valves for now and then see.. my friend did that and its nice!

8. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That’s sound at the expense of HP and torque, not my thing.

9. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    No, not yet. I’m unsure that the investment in the exhaust will make a significant impact on how good it sounds to me.

In some ways it’s nice to dart around town without a wail letting everyone know an exotic is near, especially for a daily with my family in it.

10. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Did it on my Portofino and honestly it never felt slower..

11. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Maybe recalibrate the butt-o-meter :)

Seriously though, it does reduce back pressure at low RPM’s which results in reduced power (torque and HP). The impact varies by engine, more so on NA engines than FI I would think.

Even when in race mode, valves do open up sooner to give you more sound earlier in the revs, but the architecture of the system assumes you will be in a tighter RPM band and higher up (like on a race track).

There’s posted data on the impact, but if it feels the same to you and sounds better, then you made the right choice.

uhn2000 likes this.
  12. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    I hear ya. I'm thinking from the angle of just improving the note. Not making it louder. (I wouldn't want valve controls)

I'm thinking we should ask the portofino owners.

13. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Cruising around today...I enjoy the sound with the windows open. Is love to improve that almost "horn" turbo sound when the widows are closed.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Get the Capristo if you change exhaust. A bit more than an IPE, but much, much better quality.

Getcthe Capristo valve controller as well. Best of both worlds. Lets you open the exhaust when you want and not when you don't.

Now the T will never sound like the V12. What you get by installing the rear box and an x pike, is a bit more sound and a slightly more smoother tone from the X. Switching between a set of 200 cell cats should not be difficult. It's a bolt in thing that does not require welding or cutting.

From an overall sound perspective, the cats make the most significant difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks. Are you a T owner, or just speaking in generalities?

16. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I have heard this before and always wondered about it. If that were true (i.e. constantly open valves means reduced power) then wouldn't race cars have valves fitted? As far as I know, they have free flowing exhausts (i.e no valves, cats or any other sources of back pressure).

You may argue that race cars operate at high RPM where the difference is minimal, but they do also require max power at lower RPM too (e.g. coming out of a corner).... thoughts?

As an aside, I have an 812 GTS with valve control. I don't notice any difference in the power / speed whether the valves are in normal (factory) mode or set to stay fully open...,.

17. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Race cars are run at tighter RPM’s and up high, so the lack of back pressure at lower RPM’s isn’t a significant impact. Race cars aren’t often at low RPM, maybe low speed and low gear, but not low RPM - not with the right driver.

Street cars are different.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    V12 guy who has personally heard the T with various exhaust configurations.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JohnnyTT likes this.
  19. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, guess I had to pioneer it a bit, as I truly enjoy my T for a daily.

So thanks to a good deal from Mike @ Compass, a capristo exhaust has arrived.

First impression is… wow what a shame… it’s way too nice to be completely hidden. The weld quality is superb, and the valve design… uh, such mechanical beauty. On my F430, my Tubi (Ferrari sport exhaust) valves rattle and I had to add springs to quiet them. The capristo valve design and quality is on another level.

Going to install to tomorrow. Just have my phone, but will capture before and after sounds, hopefully. I may start early so the before is at risk.

No X-pipe. The cost, I just couldn’t get my head around it, and the car already has an OEM H-pipe. No controller.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Magnus Kanerfalk likes this.
  20. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wheel and tires off, inner wheel well out. Though it’s possible to do the job without removing the rear belly pan, life will be easier removing it. And I have a well trained 5 year old to do it.

Tools: 10mm socket (of course), And a T30. 22mm for the lugs.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ait_z28, Moopz and TomAZ like this.
  21. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Really interested to see the results! Good luck

22. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Note to self, remove the front screws on the belly pan before putting on quick jack, but still have enough room with it hanging down. At least getting it back up will be easier.

Pretty much just need to loosen all the hangers, wrangle and wrestle it in, and then tighten it down. I used a couple pieces of rubber block to hold the pipes even while tightening everything down.

And it really help to spray all the bolts and hangers with Krol or like lubricant. Makes it much easier to remove.

23. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #23 shifter, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    All done.

It made a nice improvement in the sound. Can actually hear the gurgles and pops. Sounds more aggressive without being overbearing for a GT car.

I also had a blast with my son today, that was the best part.

Conclusion: The exhaust is significantly better to me in pitch and db than stock. Relatively easy to install, and quality / fit up is great. It doesn’t sound like my F430, but it still sounds better than stock.

Uploading clips soon.

24. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
  25. dbosada

dbosada Rookie

Jun 17, 2021
    Austin
    Full Name:
    David Bosada
    I am looking for options. I am looking for a little more roar at low rpms. I dont want a remote control, just simple. Your approach seems what I am looking for. Do you have videos ? Was it worth it?