Best route into Manhattan (pothole!!!) | FerrariChat

Best route into Manhattan (pothole!!!)

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by phishgoldy, May 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Coming from CT, what is the best way to safety get my Lusso into Manhattan without absolutely destroying the tires and wheels? Seems to me there is no good way. The roads and construction are SO BAD!!!!! It’s incredible to me that NY considers this acceptable. Anyway, wish me luck.

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Don't go. Or have it flat bedded. That's what I've always done when I was asked to bring my exotics to an event in NYC.
    If you're going to Long Island then take the Bridgeport ferry.

tboniello and RPM217 like this.
  3. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Yeah I chickened out and didn’t drive in. I still remain astonished at how bad the roads are. Truly insane.

Graz likes this.
  4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The last time I tried it it was in my mint 84 Biturbo, no great risk there but it has a a very stiff track suspension setup so we wanted to get on 9 or 9a and head towards 287 as smoothly as possible. Were on our way to the Cars and Coffee in New Canaan and decided that was going to be quicker than going over the Tappan Zee. Nope ... we arrived late anyway.

But I missed the proper GD exit right after the bridge and the next thing I knew we were on Harlem streets @ 5:00 am in the morning.
    Potential Bonfire of The Vanities 2.0 ran through my mind.

I take my 99 Suburban into NYC and nothing else.

But there's someone on here who helps organize the Italian cars for Columbus day in NYC but I don't know how they get there. They do operate on the streets. Think Maserati 450S! Probably trailered.

5. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Live nearby and I once had this crazy notion that with all the taxes we pay in NY that the roads would be passable-stupd ass I know-
    If you must drive into Manhattan make sure some follows you with a new set of wheels and tires!

6. RJ66

RJ66 Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Robert Juneja
    Did you end up making the drive?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I drive my 720 spider everywhere with great caution. I will not let their laziness change what I do. I am a New Yorker.

Joe

gdl203, veelangs and rdefabri like this.
  8. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The best route from Connecticut is the Merritt,Hutch combo to the Bruckner and then Triboro bridge and FDR. It’s far from perfect but the I95 is a horror as the concrete slabs have sharp edged potholes which make mincemeat out of low profile tires and wheels and the heaved up expansion joints are like an equestrian riding a jumper with short stubby legs.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

greg328 likes this.
  9. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    I didn’t end up making the drive after all. Wimped out. There is construction (if you could call it that…) on the Bruckner to FDR interchange. It’s so bad. I did take a weird, snaking, route due to bad traffic and it wasn’t as bad as the normal drive. I have to go back and piece together what it was.