Fuel injector assembly 86 TR | FerrariChat

Fuel injector assembly 86 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Nick G48, Jun 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nick G48

Nick G48 Karting

Aug 18, 2016
    Clinton Township, Michigan 48316
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Have a question about fuel injector assembly. When assembling, o ring tears. Tried dry and also tried a little sil glide. See video for explanation.
    Thanks for any info

Attached Files:

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't recall having a lot of grief with that, but it was some years ago I last did it. Are you sure that you have the right cross-section o-ring? What is the ID of the o-ring when installed, and the OD of the injector nose? The "interference" should be fairly small.

3. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I dug back thru my notes, and have that 101030 o-ring (purchased from McCann) as:

ID (free state) = 9mm (or maybe a tad less)
    Cross-section (free state) = 1.7~1.75mm

4. Nick G48

Nick G48 Karting

Aug 18, 2016
    Full Name:
    Nick
    mine measure 9mm (ID), 12.5mm (OD). Cross section is 1.72mm
    Now I do not understand what the problem is. Mine measure the same as yours. If you look at my video, you can see that my o rings do not fit
    Is it possible that there are differences in early TRs?

5. Nick G48

Nick G48 Karting

Aug 18, 2016
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I also just measured the old O-Ring and it measures 9mm ID, 11.25 OD. Cross section measures 1.12.mm. This o-ring looks worn. My measurements may be off a little but I am close.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's normal for the old o-ring to be smushed (and set) into a more rectangular shape matching the groove. Haven't heard of any changes to the groove geometry. Only other thing that I can think of is a material difference where the stock o-ring is a softer material (so more easily deformed) and now the later o-ring is a harder material. You could try something like making a tapered pin about the same OD as the injector nose and inserting it to (gently) force the o-ring into the deflected shape, let it sit overnight, remove the tapered pin and see if you can then more easily insert the injector (with lube) without tearing it -- just a thought...

7. Nick G48

Nick G48 Karting

Aug 18, 2016
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks, I will give that a try.

8. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The last time I installed new o-rings (I think they were green in color) it took a good bit of force to get the o-ring started / rolled onto the end of the injector, seems like I used petroleum jelly for lubricant....after that your good to go.

turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  10. Nick G48

Nick G48 Karting

Aug 18, 2016
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I finally have a pretty good system to fit the O rings. I did check the size of O Ring and it checks good.
    I seated the O ring and then turned down an old injector by about .010 and put that through the O ring overnight. We used NAPA Sil-Glyde as a lubricant. After seating overnight we removed the injector and put in a new injector. Pushed slowly and it gradually went in place. I think we are good. Thanks for all the advice.

Veedub00 likes this.
  11. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James