How is the AC in 458s or California Ts | FerrariChat

How is the AC in 458s or California Ts

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BilWilVegas, Jun 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BilWilVegas

BilWilVegas Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bill Wilson
    Seems like a silly question, I know . . . but I live in Las Vegas and it gets HOT here. I have an old (2011) Maserati Quattroporte, which I love, but the AC is weak at best and never gets the car cooled down sufficiently in the summer heat. I rarely drive the car in summer months because of this. I recently opened up some space in the garage and am considering adding a 458 or a California T.

Can anyone give me real world experience on the AC in either of these models? Do they do a great job of cooling the driver compartment?

Thanks in advance for any insights or feedback you can provide me.

Bill

2. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    Don’t know about the 458 or Cali T but the AC in my FF was ice cold even during the summer and I live in Vegas too

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I have a 2016 Cali T. It reached 83F here in Seattle area today and the A/C cools the cabin really well with no problem at all.

4. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I haven’t had it out in a hot summer day yet, but on a mid 80’s sunny spring day that melted food in the car my 458 seemed to keep up well.

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes

I cannot imagine the last time Ferrari had an inadequate AC system, maybe the early 90s? For a Lamborghini, it's easy....the AC in my '99 Diablo is a joke. Not a problem for me since I never put the top on anyway but it's still funny for a $300k+ car. But the pros still heavily outweigh the cons for that car.

6. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Driving a black 458 Italia coupe in CA and the a/c works.

7. mark_2

mark_2 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2017
    A few summers ago I drove a 2016 California T for five and a half hours on the highway with outdoor temperatures between 95 and 100 degrees. About 90 minutes of this trip was in very heavy stop and go traffic. Was very pleased to find that the air conditioning worked perfectly the entire time keeping the car very cool, and that the engine temperature stayed in a safe operating range without overheating.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I have a 458 and live at altitude in the mountains where the sun's UV rays are pretty intense and the cabin can really heat up.
    So far my only comment on the A/C would be that the fan switch settings are somewhat crudely stepped and that to get enough
    AC the fan needs to be on higher settings which can be get pretty loud. It does blow cold though.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had a 458 coupe and then a 458 spider in Vegas.

The 458 coupe was no problem. The 458 spider was only adequate with the top down. Part of the problem is the air vents can't point to your face so you don't get much direct airflow. Aside from that, its not an issue.

The 458 spider also has a little less airflow because the ducting is smaller than the coupe. I'm guessing its because they needed to beef up the windshield area which made the internal air ducts a bit smaller than the coupe.

Because I owned both, I could tell the difference. But top up it didn't matter.

Remember that the cabin of a 458 is a lot smaller with less glass area than a standard car. It cools faster and easier.

10. BilWilVegas

BilWilVegas Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bill Wilson
    Thank you all for these replies. Makes me feel a lot better about moving forward in this search.

Thanks!

Bill

ryalex likes this.
  11. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    The AC in my '15 Cali T is great. I just can't figure out what all the little symbols mean. :D

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    458 ac is pretty good ..m it's 111 degrees in phx right now. Lol.

It isn't Chevy truck meat locker cold but it's better than some cars and SUVs I've owned

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Texas Forever likes this.
  14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    One thing that can help for the hot climates is to have a clear film applied to your glass. Sure you can get tinted film. But if you don't like that look I believe 3M makes a film that will help w/ heat gain from direct sun. A fellow FL FChat member has done this to his BBi and claims it makes a big difference in the efficiency of the a/c. The Boxers have poorly designed a/c ducting. The 3 main vents are on the top of the dash. While they cool the windshield they don't do much for the driver. Something to consider in the hotter climes.

15. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    ryalex likes this.
  16. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    I just got back from driving in the 120 degree heat in Vegas and AC worked just fine. Now if only we could turn the sun down a few notches...

ryalex likes this.
  17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yep, I got pretty dark Xpel on the sides and top of the windshield, and a light level tint on the cabin window that faces the engine. Nothing on the engine cover itself. Third car in a row with them, always worth it.

About $600-650 for the nano ceramic, but they will definitely fix it if it bubbles or the edges aren't perfect.

18. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I drive my 458 Spider and our Cali T all summer in the North Texas heat. I drove the T yesterday afternoon and the temperature while driving was over 100 F and absolutely no issues with the AC. Somewhere on here I posted a picture last year when I rolled over 10K on my 458 Spider and I think the temp on the display was 110. I’ve not had any issues with the AC in either car.

19. jahdish

jahdish Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    tampa, fl
    Full Name:
    Paul Dziadosz
    I am in Tampa, Fl and this time of the year we are consistently low-mid 90's along with high humidity. I find the AC in my 458 to be more than adequate for the weather here. I would however love some air conditioned seats. Wishful thinking