Electrician requested to judge my garage wiring outlet layout | FerrariChat

Electrician requested to judge my garage wiring outlet layout

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Du_Man, Jun 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Can someone check my electrical wiring sketch for correctness? I am restoring an old Speedaire 60 gal. compressor and will be adding a 250/125 outlet at the corner of my garage to power it. I have a 30 amp toggle switch that I want to add near my work-counter/fuse box to turn on/off the compressor. I have 10/3 4-wire. It's the red load wire that is questioning my layout in my mind....seems the 250v outlet would have 120v electricity from the red wire even though the switch is off. thank you!

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    You need a second wire run and circuit/breaker (20 amp) for the 110v outlet. No way Code wise you can tap a 30 amp receptacle for a 110 volt outlet..... Same thing goes for that switch you have in the diagram.

1) From the panel run a dedicated 30 amp circuit for the compressor.....wire gauge dependent on length.
    2) From the panel run a dedicated 15/20 amp circuit for the 110v outlet.
    3) The switch for the compressor circuit should be rated for 220v @30 amps.

3. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Thanks JD - for clarifying! I will revise my sketch. I thought I had read that one can use one of the hot loads to create a 120v outlet. This is the switch that I have, thinking this was appropriate for a 240v compressor.

Eaton 30-Amp Double Pole White Toggle Light Switch - 30A, 120/277V capacity

INRange likes this.
  4. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

The switch is fine since it is double pole and rated properly.

In regards to the 110 outlet......what is possible is not what is correct. If you add a connection to a compressor power.....effectively you are creating a 30 amp 110v outlet which probably has wire/outlet rated for 15 or 20 amps. It is what the Fire department calls "faulty wiring". ;)

NYC Fred likes this.
  5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I know this wasn't what you were asking, and I'm not saying what you are doing is bad, but just be aware that air compressor tanks do rust over time and can eventually fail (and fail quite explosively) because of that. I inherited an old compressor that worked great, but I ended up replacing it because I was concerned with the integrity of the tank. You can get them tested, but its probably more expensive and hassle than just getting a new one.

6. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I appreciate your attention to my questions. I'm better at electrical knowledge than I used to be but for some reason, it has been my weakness to understand and be skillful working on...kind of like gardening!

INRange likes this.
  7. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Hey Jag - I know exactly what you are saying. I probably spent more time than 99% of guys would do on an old compressor to make it right. I did inspect the inside of the tank....not bad and I thought still good for another run if I can keep moisture out of the tank. I did some electrolysis, Ospho-ing, and power-blasting to stop any surface rust. The little difference in money I am saving is being spent on adding a transmission cooler, filter, etc.......hacks to make the compressor stay drier inside the tank.

Jaguar36 likes this.