Misfire. Any ideas?? | FerrariChat

Misfire. Any ideas??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 85MondialQV, Jun 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 85MondialQV

85MondialQV Karting

Feb 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Matt Drake
    I know I’m asking a lot of questions here but it’s all part of learning. Bought an 1985 Mondial QV from a warehouse where it sat for 2 years with 1/4 of fuel in it. Non ethanol fuel and seafoam in the tank and everything is coming around. I also put a fresh set of NGK iridiums in it. Runs better but I’ve had a slight misfire and it continues even when I get on it. Also kinda down on power. I tested each bank and there both firing. At idle when warmed up I don’t hear or feel a misfire. Where do I start? Are these looking like the original wires?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    CIS does not tolerate disuse well so that can always be trouble.

For the ignition:

1. Inspect all the extenders for pin holes/cracks -- the one in your photo does not look too good. On your model, I believe the extenders should just be a connector (i.e., should measure 0 Ohms resistance).

2. Measure the resistance from the metal contacts inside the dist caps to the terminals of the extender and the terminal that goes into the coil (the terminals inside the cap can be oxidized so you may need to clean a spot to connect well with your multimeter, or use a sharp pointed probe to "poke" thru the oxide layer for a good connection). Stock Ferrari ignition wires are about 700 Ohms/foot (so it's natural for the longer ones to have a slightly higher resistance). If any seem wacky, remove the pointed screw holding the wire into the cap, cut the wire about where the old hole is, reinsert and repierce with the pointed screw, then remeasure the resistance.

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Did you check the firing order ?

85MondialQV likes this.
  4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Dump out all of the old fuel.

+1 on checking spark plug wire resistance. This is a common fault. Also, the injectors could be clogged. You could clean them by soaking in carb cleaner. Or just replace them with the new brass ones.

85MondialQV likes this.
  5. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    If the wires are not the problem, the next step is to check the distribuor: rotor and internal contact points. Since this is an electroic ignition system, there is not much you can do other than to test if the coils and control boxes are functioning properly. The equipment to do this is not normally available to the home mechanic. A good Ferrari service shop or dealer would be able to check the elecronic ignition system for you. Get an estimate what this check will cost.

85MondialQV likes this.
  6. 85MondialQV

85MondialQV Karting

Feb 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Matt Drake
    I did clean the injectors on the front bank and replaced the o-rings. I still need to do the rear bank. I’ll try that this weekend and keep you all posted

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Spark plug gap should follow the manual guidelines. Too large a gap may deplete the coil at high rpm.

Once the plugs are sorted out, replace the ignition leads, then check the distributor and finaly the coil(?) .

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yes, those are the original plug extenders. Due for replacement. The wires are dist caps are expensive, so people don't replace them as often as they woud on a "regular" car. You can take the caps off, clean the contacts, and you can buy the centre carbon button separately from Ricambi, you don't need to buy a new cap unless its cracked or the contacts are badly worn inside. Wires probably are original, you can measure resistance as noted, or replace. Kingsborn has good prices for the wires and extenders.

The CIS injection unit has rubber o rings and diaphrams inside, they can leak with age, and that can be at the root of alot of problems that present like spark trouble. Rebuilt unit is the solution to rule it out. If it runs well at idle , that is good, as many fueling troubles affect start and idle.

Make sure you have no vacuum leaks in old hard hoses. Put some Marvel Mystery oil in the tank, the Seafoam is good bu MMO can help clean things out with a different chemistry.