What's this? | FerrariChat

What's this?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hnichols, Jun 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Probably a dumb question, but what's this electrical control panel (located behind the radiator, to the right of the fuse and relay panel) for? No mention of it in the owner's manual. Is it aftermarket? It does partially obstruct the removal of the spare tire.

Also, you can see that two of the connectors pulled off their screws (left hand side). Any ideas as to how (or whether) to reconnect them?

Finally, probably unrelated, I lost my side marker lights as well as the instrument panel lights. The 15A fuse looks fine. Any ideas how to track that one down? They were working not long ago.

Many thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  2. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Speaker system, audio crossover

paulchua likes this.
  3. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Ah, that makes sense. I'll have to check if the speakers are working.

So unrelated to the loss of my running lights.

paulchua likes this.
  4. Cantering1

Cantering1 Karting

Mar 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Miguel A Serrano
    Seems like ab after market radio amplifier for a subwoofer or speakers...

paulchua likes this.
  5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    What model mondial do you have ?
    If it is QV or 3.2, the side markers : you can connect the Blue/white wires directly by connecting those wires outside the fuseboard
    The connections inside that board are the same and doing nothing else there. Check also if the grounds on those lights are ok.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan likes this.
  6. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Many thanks for this. Would you mind expanding a bit of this for someone who is new to automotive electrics? Is the picture here the back of the fuse board? And where exactly are the blue/white wires? And, finally, where are the grounds to the side marker lights?
    The car is a 3.2 (1987). The fuse board was replaced several years ago, so I'd be disappointed if it's starting to fall apart.
    Many thanks!

7. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Picture of front side fuseboard.
    Blue/white wires :
    1.second wire from above vertical middle white plug with wires to be connected with first wire, left of right lower white plug. Wires red marker.
    2.first wire from above of right vertical white plug to be connected with second wire, left of right lower white plug. Wires yellow marker.
    On this picture ensemble those blue/white wires are missing. Thats for euro model. US model (and maybe other countrys) have those wires
    When your board was replaced maybe there is some modification made. So a good idea is to take some pictures and post them here.
    Ground of your markers : you have to open those markers and find out if ground is existing. Test with tester.

8. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I was looking at the fuse box today, gently wiggled some wires here and there, just to see if there was something obvious -- there wasn't -- and pulled out and snapped back in a couple of the white plugs to get a sense of how things worked. And then twisted the indicator stalk (position 1) and, lo and behold, the side lights and the license plate lights were working again. So it was back to normal. Then I tried the window washer, which didn't work before -- and still doesn't -- and after that I was back to having only front and rear lights, but no sides or plate lights.

Interestingly, when the side markers come on, the green indicator light on the dash that lights up is the regular headlight indicator (second from top on the left column under the left turn signal); when the side markers aren't working, the indicator for parking lights lights up (third from top on the right column), even when headlights are up.

So I don't think its the grounds for the individual lights. And I suspect that it's more than a matter of bypassing the fuseboard to activate the side markers, because also the license plate lights and also the fog lights are involved. And the window washer as well.

Looks like I'm going learn things about electrics that my German and Japanese cars didn't teach me :)

I'll take some pics of the fuseboard next time I'm with the car.

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    sounds like various ground issues to me...

10. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I think you're right. The challenge now is to locate the relevant ground sites. Probably at a level between the grounds for the individual lights and the ground straps bolted to the chassis. ...

I know it's been asked many times before, but does anyone know where I can get ahold of the wiring diagram for the US 3.2 ('87)? I'm hoping someone here might have a pdf. of the relevant lighting circuits. ...

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    It may be combination of individual grounds at the lights, which is easy to check and rectify, and some issues inside the fusebox (PCBs breaking down) plus fusebox plugs.
    The main grounds inside the car would be my last check. It's unlikely that something as come off on the firewall but possibly a flaky grounding on a light stack?

12. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I'm trying to proceed methodically as I learn about automotive electrical systems. So I'm starting with basic stuff: first checking all the fuses with a test light, and second, checking the relevant relays.

Fuses seem to be OK. On the other hand, I'm not sure I understand my results from probing the relay contacts -- hopefully some of you can help me!

On the external light relay (the "O" relay on my 3.2), the #30 contact lights up when the test light is connected to battery (-), so I have power on the load circuit. And the #87 lights when the test light is connected to battery (+), which tells me that the ground of the load circuit is good (right?).

On the control circuit things are not clear to me: both #85 and #86 contacts light when the test light is connected to battery (-) (#85 is a bit weaker). Shouldn't the test light illuminate only on the #85 contact (the positive feed for the control circuit)?

On the relay for flashing (relay "N"), I'm getting no result from the #30 pin (again, test light connected to battery (-) -- I should be, right? And there I have the same result on the control circuit as I do on the O relay, that is, both contacts light up when the test light is connected to battery (-).

If anybody can help me interpret these results I'd be very grateful!

13. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    This is the internal diagram for your fuseboard. Be aware its the back side view (mirror view) and split in 2 for more visibility.

Relais O : you have always current (even with key off) on 30 and 85. When 86 gives you current, there is something wrong. Or your board has issues, or there is current elsewhere coming to 85.
    Relais n : 30 has no direct current coming from battery. It is 87b that gets current from first fuse on the left, front side fuseboard (even with key off)