HP gains with 812 GTS Exhaust Swap? | FerrariChat

HP gains with 812 GTS Exhaust Swap?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Avia11, Jun 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Folks - for those of you who have swapped out the 812 GTS GPF exhaust for a non-GPF exhaust system, have you seen any performance gains? According to 2 Ferrari dealers, to overcome the decrease in HP the GPF caused, the 812 GTS has a tuned version of the 812 engine that makes more HP to keep the final HP number just below or at 800. Is this true? Has anyone noticed a difference after putting a non-GPF system on?

Apparently, the tuned version of 812 GPF engine makes 830 HP.

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I can tell u that kline cats +x pipe +box is around 20hp maybe 30. You don’t gain that much on a N/A engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    thanks. that's crazy. isn't the 812 VS 830 HP? So if you switch out the box, and you gain 20-30 HP, don't you now have a car that has the same HP as the 812 VS with a retractable hardtop? win, win, win, win?

4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I can tell you from my experience there is no real world, noticeable difference in performance. Which isn't surprising I guess, since we are talking about a c. 3 - 4% HP gain in a car that weighs around 1700kg.

wrs and Avia11 like this.
  5. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks!!

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yeah, I have had this experience on other cars. You get measurable improvement on the dyno but no measurable improvement in performance, i.e. 0-60 or quarter mile times and so on.

Soko, Il Co-Pilota and Avia11 like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    From an actual hp standpoint, the GPF rob less power than cats. It is less than 15 hp, and this is at peak power mind you, where the exhaust flows the most. As with anythjng restricting the exhaust, the lower you go in rpm, the smaller the loss. The GPF cars have smaller cats, hence less cat restriction. I had a talk with the local master tech about this, and the cars use the same ECU mapping. It's dealers trying to soften the GPF blow by saying what they say about power. When he was at the factory getting trained on the GTS there was a lot of talk about this. According to what they saw and could see, the difference between non-GPF cars and GPF cars were less than 5 hp. The non-GPF cars have more restrictive cats and the GPF cars have higher flowing cats but a GPF. This also fully adds up with Karl's experience of gaining nothing.

If there's anything to be gained, like with decatting, it makes for a bit faster flair.

And even gaining 20 hp from both a tune and exhaust, will be difficult to feel. We are talking 2.5% in an 800 hp car. Just, no!

What you often gain from z tune, and which matters a lot more than the power, is the change in response. Some engines become more crisp and lively, but that is about it.

The 812 has very good headers and an intake that matches. It is not easy to gain anything.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Tune are only really worthy on Turbo engines for Gains.
    I spent 2500 on the ff for a gain of 20hp that I barely felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. sc808

sc808 Rookie

Jul 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    s c
    hey karl! was hoping to ask your advice, i installed the kline exhaust system on my gts and tried the novitec obd module. i still get the check engine light coming on - is there anything you can suggest? i'm hoping i won't need to get the novitec exhaust as i moved over the x pipe and mufflers from my 812SF. is the OBD module plug and play? the mechanic here says it came with no instructions. thanks so much for you advice.

10. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi, I don’t think moving the Novitec exhaust will help. The only thing I can think of is you need the OBD module specifically designed for cars with GPF (like the GTS). If the module is for a non-GPF car, it could well cause check engine warnings

also, it’s strange you got a check engine light with only changing x pipe and mufflers. Normally that only happens if changing the cats - did you also do that?

11. sc808

sc808 Rookie

Jul 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    s c
    sorry, yes, i changed the cats recently when i got the novitec obd. i had the other components on the car already. initially i thought i could just move all components over from the SF but my mechanic said that the GTS had the GPFs, so i didn't switch out the cats. then, i was waiting for kline to produce the cats for the gts and then waited until now to get the obd from novitec. i assume i got the correct obd, but i saw your previous post that said there is an obd for gpf and another obd for non gpf cars. i can check to see which one i have, but i only see one type on the novitec site.
    if this doesn't work, i guess my only choice is to get a novitec system or try with just novitec cats.

12. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Yes, I would call Novitec. They should be able to tell you based on the serial number which module you have (GPF version or not).

The Novitec cats are expensive and I'm not sure would solve the issue.