A/C dryer from Superformance help | FerrariChat

A/C dryer from Superformance help

Discussion in '308/328' started by Low Ride, Jun 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Low Ride

Low Ride Karting

Jan 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Guido Benvenuto
    Trying to figure this out and thought maybe someone had already run into this before. I recored my radiator, purchased a new AC condenser, dryer, and expansion valve from superformance. The condenser ended up being half inch taller than the original and worked that out by modifying the tabs on the radiator. Now, the issue is the dryer has a male in and female out whereas the original was a male in and out. Is there an adaptor out there somewhere that I can buy in order to bridge from a female to male connection? Lots of nipples but nothing that would work with O-rings for the AC line. Curious if anybody has any suggestions. It is a 1981 GTSi

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    For what is worth, it might just be simpler and less expensive to buy a Four Seasons 33444 dryer. They are about $18. They don’t fit directly either but only because a mounting bracket needs to be cut off. They are the correct dimensions and have male threads on both sides.

BLACK HORSE and waymar like this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you want to end up with a male you need to get a double end male hex nipple- any outfits that make flexy hydraulic hoses near you, they might have one. Coat threads with loctite when you fit into the female, less chance of gas leak

4. Glenn308QVturbo

Sep 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    Glenn Orell
    I purchased a Dryer from Superformance back in March and it bolted right in on my 83 GTS. The part number is 106647 if that's the one you ordered I would contact them and let them know you have an issue. The replacement was a little larger in diameter requiring a longer bolt on the mounting clamp. It also has a service port the original did not have. Otherwise it was perfect.
    Couple of things I strongly suggest if you haven't already done them is to flush the evaporator. My system had been open so I flushed the entire system. Because of the design of the evaporator oil tends to accumulate in it. It took several attempts to get all the crap out. I had removed it to install a higher volume blower motor, my second suggestion. I purchased a Spal blower off of amazon that puts out twice the volume the original did. I had to fabricate a couple of adaptor plates out of sheet aluminum but it was pretty easy. If interested let me know and I'll post some pictures along with instruction.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I used a caterpillar one. Exact size. $20. Any a/c place will have adaptors to make yours fit

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I'd bite the bullet/find a drier with the correct fittings. Adding fittings is just adding another potential leak! ;)

Rifledriver likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have been buying direct fit driers from the local A/C supply on the cheap. And I don't have to wait for an unreliable delivery service.

8. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
  9. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hahaha! That's he one!

ferrariowner likes this.
  10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Don't do this. Unlike water plumbing the threads are not the sealing surface. There's an o-ring that does the sealing, it's not near the threads. There's a specific AC fitting sealant called Nylog (thanks Brian A!) that is made to ensure these o-rings seal, but they seem to do a fairly good job on their own. If you Locktite the fittings on you (or the next mechanic) will probably ruin whatever the fitting is attached to trying to get it off. No big deal if it's the dryer, but all the other parts will be a $headache$.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I was not saying to dip it in the pot, sensible use advised. He is looking for a male/ male adaptor and these normally seal on the threads, not seen one that has o rings. I must admit not heard of Nylog sealant.

12. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I just use some of the a/c oil

13. Low Ride

Low Ride Karting

Jan 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Guido Benvenuto
    Update. I did purchase the Four Seasons 33444 as suggested. (AutoZone - $21). Bolted right now and no problems. I will contact SF about the unit I purchased to let them know the issue. Thanks everyone for the help.

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    This.

I've done a lot of AC jobs, and have never used (nor desired to use) loctite on AC fittings. In my opinion, loctite is one of those things that home gamers use a lot more than professionals. (No offense meant to anyone here... I've just noticed it in various forums from time to time.)

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike