Take Tesla Plaid or Cancel | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Take Tesla Plaid or Cancel

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Jo Sta7, Jun 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    There’s the understatement of the year. Their interiors are ****, pure and simple. Oh, and they’re built in tents. Show me another $100k+ car that builds cars in tents. Luxury brand my ass...

Gh21631, Zenit99, technom3 and 3 others like this.
  2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Just gonna point out that alot of assembly and maintence on $50 million aircraft is done in "tents"

It seems like everyone cared about 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times up until the point that Tesla came along and then all of a sudden nobody cared about it anymore.

For me, I need a sedan to haul the family around, and my morning commute is distinctly lacking in canyons to carve. However it does have a couple of highway on ramps, and some red lights that I can blast away from. And a blast from 0-60 under 3 seconds puts a smile on my face every time.

KY _Soldier and BJK like this.
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Id say thats your biases showing. Only time Ive known people to really care about 0-60 times was during their teenage years.

italiafan, Rrr1 and Bas like this.
  4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    large sedan should be about luxury and nothing is more luxurious than silent travel, only having to use single pedal to drive, power to accelerate away from anything. much more important than having exotic woods, fabrics, paints, and equal panel gaps. thats for show cars not daily drivers. i would take a plaid over all luxury sedans ice or ev.

and anyone know whats up with the laguna seca lap record? maybe its a great sports sedan now too. its possible they made it handle like a taycan which pretty much makes it undisputed champ of the ev world.

5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Not specifically "0-60," but? I'd much rather have amazing acceleration from a stop, crazy rolling... say 40 to 90 mph, and out of this world handling than I would appreciate a top of anything over, say? 140 mph. Honestly? Something that is a rocket on rails, with a top speed of maybe 120 (and - preferably good gas mileage when not "flogged") would be ideal.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    pretty sure plaid is 200 mph car

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    But why does it have to be viewed in black and white as an either/or? Im not saying an amazing interior and a 0-60 of 10 seconds is okay either. Im simply saying that 0-60 isnt most peoples end all be all measurement for judging a sedan. nor should it be imo.

italiafan, Bas and David_S like this.
  8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    A big problem is EV's always need to boast about their long range. Tires that help get long range are about the opposite of what would be ideal for handling/track performance.
    Nobody cares what the mpg for a GT3 RS is. BUT, if it's an EV, it better have looong range and do everything else. So they can't put the best handling tires on the car because it would hurt the range.

9. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    And? I was lost at "sedan." Not likely to ever own one of those.

anunakki likes this.
  10. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    In tents (sorry ...) -

raysur and BJK like this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ^^^^^^^
    "...... debut of our 2021 Pikes Peak Plaid race car.
    The purpose of the event was to give our legendary racing driver @Randy Pobst his first taste of Plaid's Tesla alien technology." (tech from out of this world and from another planet :p sorry ... :D)

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #37 freshmeat, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Well coz recharging is not as instantaneous as pumping gas back into an ice car…so ya, no brainer range is important but with Tesla alien tech also in their supercharger stations, 80-90% charge can now be achieved in 15min.

when it dips even more, range will be less of a thing for Teslas…other oems probably will continue to boast range since they rely on 3rd party chargers and non-alien tech in their cars. Perceptive folks would’ve recognized this and understand why dropping the plaid+ and the 500+mi range is pretty moot…

I guess having more luxurious interiors and better looking seats in a Mercedes ev is critical since you’ll be stuck in there for awhile try to charge up or stuck on the side of the road relying on unreliable 3rd party chargers.

Bas likes this.
  13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    this isn’t representative of either P1 or Tesla…

P1 driver was new to the track and was on a sighting lap here, Tesla driver is Rand Pobst a pro w ample track time at Laguna.

P1 was on trofeo street tires…Tesla was on cheat race slicks.

Bas likes this.
  14. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    BJK likes this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #40 BJK, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    my point is about what sort of tires (low rolling resistance for optimal range) manufacturers have to put on their STOCK ev's are not suited to track times.
    Race car above - not stock. ;)

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I tend to piss for less than a minute...how long does filling a Tesla take? Especially if no supercharger around...

+1 I know 0-60 was kinda important to the Yanks who where known to do races between traffic lights at night...but in Europe this was never really part of our culture (so to say).
    +1

My view as well.

2nd hand Bentley Flying Spur (preferably a Mulsanne but age?) or a new Panamera GTS ST if I want a fast, comfortable sedan (ok Panamera I'd have as a Touring but still, available as a sedan as well!).

anunakki likes this.
  17. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    Jason Fenske (Engineering Explained), about the Motortrend test:

PS: he owns a Model 3 and likes Tesla cars...but not Elon Musk BS claims and tweets.

18. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    Brand new Tesla Model S Plaid caught on fire in strange circumstances

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Plenty of exotics catch fire. The 355 was horrendous for fires until Ferrari recalled them. Lambo Aventadors like to catch thier rear bumpers on fire. Porsche 918's like to go up in flames while being refueled..

Let's see if this is a one off or a consistant issue.

20. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005

I just don’t understand your point

Just because other companies don’t have their issues sorted out, then it is ok for Tesla not to

21. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Agreed, the 'let's wait and see' thinking is cool when applied to things related to new cars like 0-60 times, track records, handling characteristics, color/spec choices, delivery numbers, pricing, etc etc. With safety, esp. fire safety, that's a bit of a line in the sand, don't you think? Especially in cars with a electronic door release...

Man, if I had a Tesla (which we got rid of after 3 years in a Model S) or any electric car with electronic door releases, I'd definitely keep one of these little glass break things on each door. Tesla should probably just give these out.

22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    And now you can't even get it til next year anyway!!!!!

23. Denyo83

Denyo83 Rookie

Feb 2, 2017
    It's a pretty cool car but I would just cancel. Tesla doesn't seem to value its customers with these odd tactics.

24. Denyo83

Denyo83 Rookie

Feb 2, 2017
  25. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Just picked up my plaid yesterday. Having never even sat in an EV, I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting the fit and finish to be sub par, coming from E63s, but find it it to be adequate. The acceleration in s simply mind blowing and instantaneous. The tech is really cool, and so far I’m blown away with the performance. The delivery is a bit odd. The staff at the service center was a bunch of kids in their 20s. Human interaction with customers is almost non existent. Had to pay double for charging mechanism thru eBay as Tesla is sold out of the charging apparatus and plugs etc.

In short, I believe the car is too fast for the average person, which perhaps includes myself. Can’t imagine anyone driving it wanting more power.

tritone and Tenney like this.