328 Space Saver Spare Wheel | FerrariChat

328 Space Saver Spare Wheel

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Question about 328 space saver wheels - I have an extra wheel that I’m going to post a classified for, but I need to understand something first. Did all 328 model years have the same style space saver wheel, or did they change during production? The extra wheel I have is from an ‘89 (photo below). Thank you.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Talon38

Talon38 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Lambert
    Howdy! I am restoring an '89 GTS and have that spare, so at least the '89s have that. What are you asking for it? Mine is dinged a bit, but I was going to sand and restore it as well, but a "new" wheel would be great as well. Mike

3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Hi, Mike. I want to respect the rules on here and not make this a classified. Ill let you know when I post the ad. Thanks for responding.

Jedi likes this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Is the tire for these still unobtainable ?

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The very early US 328's had a full size spare with the old 308 style window washer bottle. US cars went to the space saver in about December 85 at VIN 612?? or so.

Some countries did not allow space savers so the car always came with full size. At various times Swiss, Austrian, Japanese and right hand drive cars had full size.

GatorFL and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thanks, Brian. So, the extra wheel I have is applicable to all 328 models, with the noted exceptions above? Or, did the space saver wheel look different for different years?

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The '85-'88 and '88-'89 328 SPCs show two different part number space saver wheels (and also lists the markets where they are not used as Brian mentioned) -- the pics look very similar. Is there a Ferrari PN shown on the backside of the spokes?

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’ll have to look tomorrow. Anyhow, I’ll post the classified as well. Thank you.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The only change that I'm aware of was the change of color: silver for the first half of production or so, then dark gunmetal gray for the second half.

Rgds

GatorFL likes this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Has anyone actually replaced the tire on the space-saver spare? I have the original and I'm sure it's not as supple as a new tire...31 years old (!) - but looks OK for it's intended use. I keep it aired up to 60PSI/check it periodically. I couldn't man-handle a full-sized spare in/out of the 328's compartment so the space saver is the only workable spare for me anyway...

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Should you need the spare, in any way Mike, you would then have to man-handle the full size one at least once, to put the flat wheel / tyre in the front compartment.
    Unless you plan to exchange it with your passenger, of course...

Rgds

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Oh, right...good point:oops: I guess I should just carry a tubeless tire plug kit and and an air source! That way I have a lot more trunk space!

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Anyway, my understanding is that a new tyre in the flat spare wheel dimensions has been unavaible for years; driving on an 32 years old tyre (even at 50 mph) might not be very advisable...

Rgds

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I was 400 mi from home in the TR and got a 4 inch long slice through the sidewall of a front tire.The space saver kept me from a tow truck ride to a closed tire shop and a couple of days in a hotel in beautiful Fontana CA. waiting for a tire to be shipped in.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I drove mine 400 miles home. I did keep it below 100mph. The skinny spare is unnoticeable on the front on straight roads until pretty high braking effort is used.

versamil likes this.
  17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Brave move, Brian. Mine looks like hard plastic after 33 years, but I guess you do what you need to do in a pinch.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    On the ORIGINAL spare tyre, Brian?

Rgds

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #19 Rifledriver, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Yes. Most tire degradation comes from UV exposure. Spares get little of it.

Back in my younger days before exotic cars I did some tire failure analysis. It was a good education.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Good to know

Rosey likes this.
  21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I wouldn't be afraid to use the spare/original tire. I don't think it's going to explode, just that traction wouldn't be so good due to the relative hardness of the rubber. I see there are T135/80 R18 space savers available but since I'm not tire size/rim size knowledgeable, I don't know if that would mount properly (safely) on a T105 rim as used in the 328. .

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's what the factory decided for the 348

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never once had a tire failure that a plug or a bottle of slimy stuff would have gotten me back home. I'll take a spare thank you.

24. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #24 GordonC, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    I didn't get a spare when I bought my 1984 Euro QV - well, I did, but it was an ancient TRX tire/wheel that the previous owner bought for spare tire purposes. I wasn't keen on spending a thousand or so for a factory Ferrari spare wheel/tire, I wanted something functional - I bought a Volvo space saver spare wheel/tire on eBay for $80 USD for a 2000 or newer Volvo S80 - Volvo uses (used?) the same 5x108 bolt pattern as the 308/328. The S80 space saver tire is 125/80-17 - a size that is still available on Tire Rack, and is the same diameter as the 308/s 205/55-16 and 225/50-16.

Two tricks are required to use the Volvo space saver spare - First, the brake disc holding studs on the Ferrari hubs normally fit into open spaces between the bolt spaces on the back of the wheel. The Volvo steel wheel needs to be drilled with at least 2 holes to leave room for those disc holder studs.

Top down view of TRX vs Volvo space saver, same diameter

Posts on brake disc hub that need holes in Volvo wheel to clear:

Drilled Volvo wheel - drill all 5 spaces between the 5 lug holes to keep it balanced

Second, the steel Volvo wheel is much thinner than the Ferrari wheels, and the OEM lug bolts are too long to seat on the thin Volvo spare wheel. You need to buy 5 shorter 14x1.5 lug bolts just for the spare wheel - I bought mine from www.ecstuning.com, conical seat 28mm long for $2.66 ea https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/28mm-14x15-cone-seat-black-zinc-finish/b13-znnitt/
    [​IMG]

Gives a lot more room under the front space than a full size spare. I did make a ~2" deep spare tire bolt spacer to let the bolt tighten to hold the spare from moving. I also carry a Slime kit, a plug patch kit, and a battery-connect compressor - the plug kit and compressor have saved me a couple of times on the road when a tire has picked up a screw or nail in the tread (in other vehicles).