1984 400i S2 vent switch seized | FerrariChat

1984 400i S2 vent switch seized

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Anthony bentley, Jun 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    1984 400i vent switch seized, where do I start?

Attached Files:

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Backside of engine near the firewall you'll see the heater valves. Coolant hoses running there, cables on top running to the levers in the cockpit. They easily seize.

Spray them with penetrating fluid and work the lever gently until free. Easy.

3. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley

Great I'll check it out tomorrow, out of interest what side so I go straight to it, mine is a right hand drive car.

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    On my '84 these levers and AC controls are on opposite side. I am guessing you have a RHD car. On my LHD car the two heater valves are under cowl near the left hand wiper pivot point. Beside penetrating oil, use liquid graphite on both ends of cable.
    Ken

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Interestingly enough, the manual LHD cars have the levers on the right side like that, same as the RHD autos and RHD manuals. The LHD autos seem to be the odd duck out with the levers on the left.

Wonder why they did it that way? An interesting observation.

6. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Ive unseized the valve in the engine bay but now need to look under the leaver in the car as it’s not moving how I would like it, how easy or hard is it to remove the centre console panel?

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Remove the instrument cluster (clock fuel gauge). This will give you access to the 3 screws (on the 400i the cluster is bigger so you may have only 2 screws on your gen2/412?) that hold the top of the console against the metal frame of the instrument cluster.

No have a look at the hand-brake, you will notice a small vertical plate (5x15cm) covered with leather (or simili). This plate is held by two horizontal screws (you will have to hold the screwdriver parallel to the handbrake handle). Once this small plate is removed, the console gets loose.

From then on either you disconnect everything (switches & levers) from the panel (tedious) or you just slightly (15cm) raise the panel above the rest of the console in order to access the levers.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  9. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    #9 Anthony bentley, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    luckily I have managed to go through the gearstick aperture removing the surround.
    My heater lever is broken, next what cars if any are these shared with?

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    There is a guy, Verrell. His web site is Unobtainium Supply. He had some of these units made up to a very high quality standard. Not sure if he has any left but his units were chrome plated brass as opposed to the plastic from the factory.

http://unobtainiumsupply.com/