599 Cam Solenoid replacement | FerrariChat

599 Cam Solenoid replacement

Discussion in '612/599' started by jimshadow, Jun 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Anyone here replace them? I found a high level 599 video. Curious of anyone here has done the job? Looks like I have 1 that is bad which means I"ll be doing all 4 since I'm in there in addition to a full fluid change and my Fabspeed cat delete pipes......

We need a sticky DIY thread for the 599 with more of us doing our own work.

Jim

George Vosburgh likes this.
  2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I would be great to have a sticky thread for all of the various fixes and repairs everyone does.

3. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I"ll document this one and hopefully a MOD can get one started. I'm envious of the 308/430 threads where they have TONS and TONS of DIY'ers. Some here, but we (I) can do better at documenting.

Jim

4. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Here is what I'm looking at. The upper Cam Solenoids are leaking oil down the wiring. (REALLY hard to see in the pics!)
    There's enough that it's running down the face of the heads on both sides. I have an error code P1552 which indicates a Right Camshaft Control Inlet OPEN fault. It's either cooked or the oil has penetrated the wiring connection. Either way, the valve covers have to come off to inspect it as the solenoids are INSIDE the covers!!! Thinking hard about what I want to do while I'm in there. Might be a good time to gather parts (I'm thinking about (?6&1) Headers) to go along with my test pipes and just make this an all winter project. I'll do a full fluid change while it's in the air and get it ready for spring 2022. In the meantime, I'll be doing Fabspeed headers and exhaust on a buddy's F430 later this summer (I have a lift in the garage), so this could come after.
    Not keen on driving it with this error!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- The WSM has a procedure for both replacing the solenoid and using a special grease on the connector. Assume you have the WSM? Lots of seals on the solenoid from the photos.

jimshadow likes this.
  6. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Taz,

YES, thank you I DO have the WSM. I've been studying it carefully.

Looking at parts, the Solenoids are CRAZY expensive! ($800+ each!). Where do you DIY'ers turn for 599 parts?

Jim

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I am not much of a DIYer anymore, but I check with Ricambi first, then Maranello Classic Parts, and then Eurospares.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Add scuderiacarparts

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ferrari use the same part in 430's, and the Maserati engines in those cars are based on the 430 unit just with a crossplane crank. I'd put money then on the cam solenoid being the same part used on Maserati 4200 and QP models- part number 212423. Gives more options for finding it cheaper. Indeed Eurospares list it as a cheaper part for Maserati than Ferrari.

Ferrari:
    https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part/14334/ferrari/250646/variable-valve-timing-adjuster-sole.html

Maserati:
    https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part/205500/maserati/212423/variator-control-solenoid-valve.html

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dominick- Affirmative, have used Scuderia before (wheels) and they were good. Forgot about them.

11. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    brogenville and Rex71 like this.
  12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The P1552 fault code indicates that there is an open in the cam solenoid circuit. Before taking everything apart, I recommend checking the resistance of all four solenoids at the pins of the ECU connectors, before you disturb/move the connections. If and when you find high/infinite resistance on the particular solenoid causing the fault, you can wiggle the connector while monitoring the resistance to see if it changes.

I have seen solenoids that were replaced (due to oil leakage) that still had problems with bad solder joints where the female connectors join to the injection wiring harness. You should be able to disconnect the solenoids and jump the pins inside the harness connector and see a very low (1 Ohm) resistance at the ECU connector.

Be very careful with the solenoid connectors as the oil and heat cause the plastic connector housings to become very brittle over time. It seems to take three hands to get the connectors apart with no damage.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

13. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    THANK YOU Brian! I’ll check that out. I was just debating ordering all the parts today so I’ll pull the plenums off and get those checks done his week before I order new solenoids.

Jim

14. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Finally a rainy Sunday here and not much going on this afternoon so I decided to tear into the 599. I was also tired of not driving it, so that was a motivator as well. :)
    LONG STORY SHORT, the upper solenoid connection (the one that requires removal of the intake plenum!) was APART, hence the code. Someone was in there once before and I'm guessing they did not put the wiring together with a 'click', rather felt the resistance of the o-ring and quit. It eventually vibrated loose and here we are....
    I did voltage check both sides of the connections multiple times before and after cleaning the oil off of the ends of the wiring and snapped the connection back together. VOILA, problem solved. (once I cleared out the codes)

I also put the car up on the lift and did the Fabspeed pipes. Getting the secondary cats out was a breeze. Everything came apart as it should, but going back together was a different story. True to Fabspeed QA, the drivers side pipe was just a hair off. I could not for the life of me get it fit, but after 30 minutes or so of sanding both surfaces silky smooth, I was able to get it together. (SAME problem experienced on my DB9 as well...).

The only issue that I faced was with the exhaust hanger brackets. One of the bracket holes would not line up and I accidentally rounded the first two threads of the bolt attempting to get it in there using some leverage. Mistake on my part. I'll get another bolt and then loosen everything up to re-align it after I put a few miles on it.

Great day working on the car, oh and WOW does it sound wicked now! The Fabspeed pipes are excellent if you have the patience for fitting a handmade piece to a finicky car. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    FWIW I did a Fabspeed pipe job on my 599 . Got lucky with a perfect fit. Mike

jimshadow likes this.
  16. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Awesome!
    In all reality the fitment issues were pretty minor. Just a pain in the butt considering what you spend on the pipes and the car. It should not be a difficult job… :)

17. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very nice, Jim! it's great to get a lucky break once in a while with these cars :)

jimshadow likes this.
  18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Glad to hear your solenoid problem was an easy fix, Jim. I've never heard of anyone going after one of those! Great pictures, great garage!

19. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Thanks George! I’m glad it was too. Might have taken a while to get the valve covers off to replace them (I would’ve likely done all 4 as a precaution). Luckily, I don’t have to for now.

Now, if the rain would ever quit here, I’d be driving it!

Jim

20. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
  21. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    Nice 599 color!
    I did the Fabspeed pipes on my 599 too. Had the same fit trouble with the brackets. I also slotted the Fabspeed pipes to slide them on more easily. Somewhat painful but well worth it!