Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 60 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think you missed my second sentence:

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1477 paulchua, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    I didn't buy a Ferrari or Tesla for the environment. A Tesla Plaid on the road will be faster than a typical stoplight encounter than any street Ferrari in existence.

This statement is either true or false.

Environment be damned.

Ironically in this very thread @JERRYZ you'll find no shortage of folks that predicted 0-60 < 2 seconds and 1/4 mile in the low 9s is IMPOSSIBLE and won't happen from Tesla

What are they going to say next, electric will never shatter 8s or 7s?

How many times do folks have to be proven wrong to give some credit? It's mind-boggling.

Now I don't condone or support street racing, so my point is moot. If somebody wants to chest pump, then do it on the track. At the highest level, Ferrari has gotten its lunch stolen for 10 years.

I don't say this as a Ferrari hater, I'm a TIfosi for life, but I'm not going to deny credit to competitors or pretend Ferrari is 'at the top' of performance when there not. I don't care, it doesn't make me love Ferrari less.

I mean, I love the Cleveland Browns, but I'm not going to pretend they won the Superbowl for the last 50 years.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I like both, don't think just because I give Tesla their due, that it automatically means I think Ferrari stinks. I always raise an eyebrow when folks don't look at things objectively. I love Vinyl AND Digital. It's not an either/or proposition. I think digital watches are great, doesn't mean I pooh pooh a Patek. What would be odd to me is somebody that loves their analog watches, but refuses to acknowledge that a synced digital watch to an atomic clock is more accurate at 1/10,000 the cost.

Again, the statement is either true or false.

The ultimate tool of a watch is to tell time accurately yes?

ginoBBi512 and Dom like this.
  4. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Yes, but it is the chief purpose of the watch to tell time as accurately as possible as reliably as possible. It is the very minor purpose of a production street car used on the street to go 0-60 or quarter mile as fast as possible. Full power capability is maybe used 1% of the time in the average sports car, and so is deserving of much less consideration in the analogy, yet is often given full weight as THE determining comparative factor.

anunakki and Bas like this.
  5. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Besides, the conventional argument of ICE vs EV is largely a sail boats vs power boats comparison. They use two different modes of propulsion. One is a marathon runner that happens to be a pretty fast sprinter. The other is a very fast sprinter with limited marathon abilities. So which one is faster, better all things considered?

Moreover, faster—even by certain cherry picked measures—does not simply equal “ progress “. There is such a thing as too much. Jeremy Clarkson himself said in a Top Gear review many years ago that he would prefer the F12 to have less power.

ICE does not have to be at a developmental terminal either, but the government isn’t providing bonanza subsidies for it and are redirecting massive resources as a result. Imagine where ICE would be today if all those resources had flowed to it instead.

anunakki, Mickyd329, Bas and 2 others like this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Well said, and as I always point out, another spirited debate on the World Famous Ferrari Chat Forum !!! lol

Thank you gentlemen

Mickyd329 and Bas like this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Classy, anyone that disagrees with you is a troll :rolleyes:

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think a handful of laps is enough for any of the EV Plaid + superduper electricity wagon advantage to be beaten by dead dinosaurs turned into delicious petrol. The prototype plaid couldn't complete a single lap at the ring at full power. I'm sure they'll have fixed the overheating by now. Good for them. But still the battery drain around a race track (forget the nurburgring for a moment, any normal track like lets say Laguna Seca), a handful of laps at best and battery drain will significantly hamper any advantage it had.

I really don't understand teslarati's banging on about performance, anyways. Yes they're incredibly fast in a straight line, great job guys your supposedly eco friendly car is fast, but who in their right mind only does a few laps in their car at a track day? 5 laps and the battery is drained? It's a road car, for the road....let it be good at that. And great for you if it is.

I'm not convinced, I probably never will be convinced. I buy certain cars because I love them and I don't think I could ever love an EV. The engine will never offer any real emotion.

9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Its all Fn Bull **** when these ignorant pricks start with their save the planet insanity, I want the planet to survive, electric cars have not and will not ever contribute to it, its that simple. If you tell a lie long enough, it becomes the truth, just look at the jerkoff president, that says it all. Yes, we are living in the age of ignorance, lies, and insanity.

Thank you

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    A Tesla is what you currently buy if you’re after the latest and greatest in personal transportation tech. It is a step into the future.

You buy a Ferrari to represent a mechanical achievement in the decade you find most enjoyable along with visual/artistic pleasure. As cars become more like efficient appliances, you are stepping into a past when cars were more an extension of yourself. It’s only as good as how you drive it.

The latest and greatest for Monday to Thursday. A Ferrari for Friday to Sunday.

As good as a Plaid S is, I just can’t bring myself to spontaneously stare at it for hours like I do with my Ferraris. Visual appeal is half the enjoyment of having a sports car.

bernieb, Mickyd329 and ginoBBi512 like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You bring up a good point. What is the chief purpose of a car?

I would argue is 'transportation point A to point B.' Other considerations would be speed, comfort, cost, reliability, aesthetics, etc

One has to approach cars as a confluence of factors that are important to the buyer.

Reliability is your main concern? Then get a Toyota
    The most exclusive? Ferrari 250
    Speed in a 'knuckle drag' on the road? Tesla Plaid

Of course, it's rare any person buys cars for just "one" reason, it's a combination of factors - otherwise, companies like Honda or Hyundai would never have got off the ground.

I'm not saying Tesla is the end all be all, it's not. But it's also not a Yugo, which if reading the detractors here is what it's been painted as.

This 'hate' about Tesla and electric cars is as logical as hating fuel injection or better tires. Sound, aesthetics, feel are always subjective. Numbers are not.

The Rimac just embarrassed the SF90, is the Ferrari trash? Heavens no! It's 1/5 cost! That said, there is a reason Ferrari is releasing an all electric car in 4 years.

The next wave of cars is starting at 2,000 HP. This is simply not possible with exorbitant ICE configs.

Progress stops for no one, and the performance objective factors of electric are simply either true or false. 1/4 mile, 0-60, track times don't care about the environment, they don't care about sound, they don't care about looks, they certainly don't care about your feelings.

Dom likes this.
  12. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I agree. If Iraq invades Kuwait, and we bail them out Iraq will now reimburse us for the cost of our effort. That's how things should logically work.

But 500 + million pissed away on solyndra, $1,000,000,000,000 every year down the crapper to prop up the lazy/unambitious is seriously huge coin for NOTHING in return. Literally nada.

kes7u and Mickyd329 like this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I doubt any of the latest crop of electric hypercars are environmentally friendly. They're coming out not because of the environment, but simply for one reason

Speed.

There are some that argue perhaps Ferrari should stop competing in this arena, focus on food, clothes, toys, handbags, and computer games.

Please do not find offense if I think Ferrari should still have a 'fast' product that is competitive with the rest of the car industry.

And in the next 10 years, being 'at the top' starts at 2,000 electric HORSEPOWER.

If you don't like it, nobody will force you to buy one. That's the beautiful thing, isn't it? Just like nobody at the Apple Store will force me to buy MacBook over a Rolodex and typewriter.

Some of my favorite people I love refuse to use cellular phones. It's okay, no judgments. I do get confused though if those same people get mad about folks using wireless phones.

ginoBBi512 and Jaguar36 like this.
  14. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

Half the dirty emissions of say a hybrid/ICE engine? Hmmm, maybe you should do some research?

Newsflash: that wasn't the point of the post. If CA has rolling blackouts already, how would it support a state full of EV's like it's 2035 mandate is trying to steer the state to? DUH!

Another newsflash! Tesla builds 500k units per year in a world that produces in excess of 90 million per year. A worldwide network of chargers for Tesla is a drop in the bucket.

Sure, your apartment complex in San Diego has some chargers. How many units in that complex versus how many Tesla's? What would happen if just half of those residents drove EV's? Where are you going to put all those chargers?

Your assertions only work in the current scenario where EV's are still a small % of the auto industry. Once you get to a mass scale where you have to support an entire country/world full of EV's how feasible is it?

Billion dollar companies sprouting up in the recycling business of batteries? Is a billion dollar market cap supposed to be impressive or something?

Get a grip. If you want to own a Tesla, fine with me. It's a free country after all. Just don't try to convince others that it's an eco friendly solution to transportation because it's not.

anunakki, ginoBBi512 and 020147 like this.
  15. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I think the mods should ban all threads that have the word tesla . or any other threads that talk about electric cars and Ferrari in the same sentence, unless of course there is news of one blowing up or catching fire lol . By the way, it has happened more than once . Once Ferrari starts with this insanity, I hope there will not be an " Electric Ferrari " category here on the forum, but I know thats wishful thinking lol .I will always be thankful and grateful that I had the blessing of owning a real Ferrari .God has been very good to me .

Thank you

16. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Even Ferrari will go electric. It's simply the best drivetrain for performance cars. It's the future. Are you still addicted to your Blackberry? Times change and it's not always comfortable for people that stick to what was dominant in the past. Again, leave cycles out of this discussion. And by all means keep enjoying your ICE.

Dom likes this.
  17. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA

Yes, hybrids use more gas than electric for your average commute. And do you really want two drivetrains in one car? That's a motor AND an engine. A battery AND a gas tank, etc. More to go wrong, less space, heavier car etc. Cars are best with one drivetrain.

You clearly should learn more about how Tesla's charge before engaging in a friendly debate. 95% of Tesla's charge at home through an electrical outlet. The charger is built into the car. AND those charges happen after 10 PM so as to get cheaper rates. There will be no lack of supply of electricity. The charging stations are meant for long distance travel.

You like newsflashes? Tesla's 500k cars from last year are growing at 50% per year. They have since 2012 and continue to do so. Within a few years Tesla will be a big time manufacturer. 2 giant factories are close to completion in Berlin and Austin.

Tesla adds infrastructure and apartments add electrical outlets in garages as demand grows. Not a problem.

I don't drive Tesla because it is eco friendly. It's just an added bonus for me. I drive Tesla because it is the future.

Dom likes this.
  18. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

You are assuming everyone lives in a single family residence and have access to an electrical outlet in the garage? Your logic is comical.

You don't burn fossil fuels to produce the electricity to power your Tesla? Lol.

I'm in the auto industry and have access to a lot of industry information. Maybe you are the one that should do more research without the Tesla fanboy bias.

Nonetheless, enjoy your Tesla and the straight line acceleration it gives you. Just remember to brake WAY before the turn as they don't corner very well. That is from first hand experience.....

BTW, what are you doing on a Ferrari forum? Doesn't Tesla have a board you can all kumbaya in?

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Electric is the future. Don't worry about the grid. It will be just fine once the manufacturing of ICE parts is no longer needed, and and gas stations disappear. Just that alone will free up a massive amount of electrical power. Don't believe your own hyperbole. It really won't be that bad. However I could be out of a job in 10 years..so I think I have more to lose then most.

JERRYZ likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U will always have a job servicing vintage cars. Our guy Roberto Roselli here in San Jose has (no kidding) at least 30-40 exotics lined up for service all the time of all ages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1496 freshmeat, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    I know many people in the city who do NOT have a charger at home and they EV on just fine…seems like folks like yourself who have never owned an EV would make such uninformed assumptions…very very disconnected from reality. With the superchargers today, folks are getting 80% charge in 15min, having your own slow charger at home is becoming more of a backup than a primary charge source.

As for the cornering bs, EVs in general have proven to run with a much lower center of gravity and higher structural rigidity due to the low and central location of the battery pack, and apples to apples comparison of a comparable sedan, a Tesla will out maneuver the crap out of the ice car in a corner and leave it in the dust on a straight line. This is not debatable, it’s been fact for awhile now.

These comments of yours will not age well…just like those from that alleged founder guy who also had a “I know everything and I’m better than you and that justifies everything I say” attitude…you two can share the podium of shame together.

JERRYZ likes this.
  22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

Sounds like him and I have the same problem. I can't keep up. Its overwhelming at times. But for how long?

23. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    You’ll be fine…plenty of petrol heads like myself in early 30s w fun cars that will need tlc for at least another 30yrs…as long as gas doesn’t shoot up to $10/gallon

24. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/ev-owners-switch-gas-power-study/

Article dated May 4, 2021

“Surprising number of EV owners switch back to gas power, study says”

“... 18% of electric vehicle owners switched back to a gas-powered car. For plug-in hybrid owners, 20% of them flipped back to a car solely powered by an engine.

The major takeaway from the EV flip-flopping lands in the lap of charging -- specifically at-home charging. The lack of reliable Level 2 charging at home (that's a 240-volt plug) was a major factor leading to EV "discontinuance," as the researchers called it. That makes sense. If you don't have a place to charge reliably, it makes it a lot harder to enjoy the benefits associated with an EV...”

Mickyd329 likes this.
  25. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I want to add this to the above post
    We dont care about you driving your tesla, just dont be an ignorant fool when you start to say they are better performers, of course in some instances a straight line, who cares about that, I can put an electric motor in a tractor, same thing . Try and keep up with a 3x8 driver who knows what he is doing in the canyons, or a 911 for that matter, you will get your ass smoked, thats if you dont wrap your slot car around a tree first. Just because its " the future" does not mean its better. For years , I had an analog cell phone in my car , it never dropped a call, and was never out of a service area, much much better than this digital crap they crammed down our throats. If you really want to experience what fast really means, your not going to get it out of your tesla, thats for sure.

Thank you

Mickyd329 likes this.