458 - Contemplating trading my 458 for an F12 | FerrariChat

458 Contemplating trading my 458 for an F12

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Jun 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    With the rapidly rising values of the 458, my car has increased in value nearly $40k since buying it. A Ferrari dealer in another state has a 2015 F12 Berlinetta Rosso Corsa exterior and black interior with 18k miles. The dealer is willing to accept in trade my 2010 458 Italia that is Rosso Scuderia/tan with 24k miles plus $10k cash.

I have never driven an F12 and there isn’t a local one I know of to test drive unfortunately. But the opportunity to get into an F12 for basically just $10k cash leaves me seriously considering this deal.

What are the thoughts of the community? Would you do it and why or why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Personally, I find the MR V8 more exciting than the FR V12 layout, but depends on your feelings. I also think the values of the 458 will continue to stay strong, but probably not like the F12 is going to bomb or anything. Maybe fly in/out of the dealer to test drive? Could be a good negotiating lever too - sign papers while you're there if they give you an even better offer.

3. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Well, I was looking to make a change after a 6 year affair with my 458. I also wanted to fullfill the dream of owning a V12 before I go Tango Uniform.(die). I drove the F12 and it was quite a different experience from the 458. On the positive side it was comfortable, has a lot more power plus a car you could make a long trip in and keep the wife happy; a grand touring experience. The sound of the V12 although a little more muffled than the 458 was great. For me the deal breaker was it is more of an insulated driving experience and slower steering & cornering. If I bought the F12 I would mod the suspension & exhaust etc. Neither is better than the other, I just like more of a canyon-carver race-car experience. Good luck & I hope you can get a test drive to help you decide.

Buzzl and plastique999 like this.
  4. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    If you want a car that’s better at road trips or just really want that v12 sound, F12 is your game. Might depend on what else you have to drive. If you already have a better road trip car or a fun, involving car then I’d weigh that in my decision.

timjen88 likes this.
  5. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I can relate to you.

I have a 458 Spider that I bought about a year ago that I really like. But the positive vibes makes me wonder what the V12 experience would be like.
    If I were to consider a trade for another Ferrari it would have to be an F12 for close to an even trade. What saves me from a decision similar to yours
    is that I love the top down driving experience where I live in the mountains.

I think you have to drive the F12 to see if it's for you. The V12 front vs V8 mid is only part of the happiness equation.

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I have a 458 and F12. My personal opinion, FWIW, would be to keep the 458. Both are great cars and built for different purposes. The F12 is great on long trips and a blast on the track. However, 99% of my driving is neither road trips or track. The F12 is very well mannered around town and the engine is quiet unless you get up to 5k rpms or so (and by then you are going 90mph). The reason I would keep the 458 is that it is more of an experience to drive. The 458 feels like a race car at any speed and the sound is much better. The F12 is so smooth you may forget you are in a Ferrari.

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I would agree with most of this except that the F12 if driven is a beast and needs respect. With this said, if I only had 1 sportscar it would be the 458 over the F12.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I personally would not. I thought about getting one some time back, but decided against it. The F12 is a great car, but just isn’t as exciting and sharp-edged as the 458. The 458 is actually plenty comfortable, but if I wanted a GT, would get another car to compliment it rather than part with the 458.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

synergy likes this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I haven't driven the F12, but I have driven both the V12 Lusso and also the 812 Superfast - I also owned my 458 for quite a while.

My guess would be the F12 probably feels much like the Lusso. Really fun to drive and a lot of power - and great for long trips - but not as much fun, nor connected to the road feeling as the 458. Interestingly, the 812 felt more like the 458 but a bit more aggressive. The 812 felt powerful yet still very nimble - but I'm not sure I'd want to cruise around town in it. But if the 458 and the Lusso had a baby, I think it would grow up to be an 812.

My vote is keep the 458, unless you're over the age of 65 and your back is starting to hurt and/or give you trouble.

Ray

Need4Spd and EnzoItaly like this.
  10. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks for the insight guys. Looks like no votes for the F12 over the 458. I’m fairly confident I will keep the 458, just need to find a way to test drive an F12 to confirm.

Depreciating Asset likes this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed BUT with a proper exhaust f12>458 sound wise.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I went from Speciale and 16M to TDF (similar platforms - V8 to V12). Love my TDF but sorely miss a Ferrari NA V8 and really miss my Speciale. The V8’s are incredibly agile and so well balanced, it is difficult to match that agility in any V12. The TDF has rear wheel steering which shrinks down the feeling of the car but light weight agility is a wonderful feeling in the V8.

13. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I test drove both many times. For me it was a easy choice to go with the 458 as I wanted the little more aggressive feel. Added to that I think the F12 will continue to depreciate but the 458 values will likely stay strong. If I want a comfortable car I drive the SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Don't do it! I have experience with the 812 and traded it in for my Pista. After just a 100 miles, I really found out that I missed my 488 terribly! Unless you drive in higher rpm's to achieve a wonderous sound, it is just a great GT cruiser. I also have an F-8 on order as for me, there is nothing like driving a Ferrari mid engine V-8. Whatever you decide, keep the 458 and add a V-12. There should be 812's you could test drive and I mean at least an hour drive before deciding. There are several here who really prefer the V-12's but I am not one of them.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    good point. i did lay down my best track times in the f12...

LVP488 likes this.
  16. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I went from a 488 Spider to a 812SF so it’s not a direct comparison. They are different cars so you need to drive a F12 to see what you think. My 812 is a beast and the 488 is no comparison. Even in Race mode you have to respect it’s power. The rush during hard acceleration with a V12 is amazing. Even though it’s a GT you feel like you are in a rocket ship. It handles much better than I expected for a GT.
    Like you I was offered more than I paid for it and decided to sell. The reason is I missed the open air ride and at $500K+ for the GTS I decided to look elsewhere. Crossing my fingers the LB is a good option.
    Good luck

17. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Almost predictably those in the 458/488/F8 forum mostly prefer the 458.

Have you asked in the FF/Lusso/F12/812S forum? They might have a different perspective.

Boomhauer, Ash Patel and LVP488 like this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

How much more special is a speciale over a regular 458?

19. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    #19 axlesofevil, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Well a good Italia is ~$200,000+ and a good Speciale is ~$350,000+ so I'd say about 75% more special(e). :p

20. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    James May's take:

RayJohns and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    My vote would go to the F12 with no hesitation, but I'm certainly in the minority here.
    Front engined V12 Ferrari are awesome - after the 599 GTB,my first choice was an F12; the 488 won because of offering the opportunity to configure and buy a new car AND the turbos addressed the shortcomings (mainly the lack of torque) of the 458 (again, I know I'm in the minority here).
    Still, while I'm very happy with the 488, I eventually had to add an old front-engined V12 to complement it... there is something much more special in those than on a desperately (and uselessly) screaming engine.

Boomhauer and EnzoItaly like this.
  22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    James May really sums it up beautifully. It's the overall experience that matters most to a lot of us - not just winning an imaginary drag race by 2/10th's of a second.

Ray

23. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Indeed: as mentioned by several posters... as their character is different... test drive to learn which experience you prefer.

24. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta

I think I may have some perspective. I had an F 12, and traded in for an 812. I formerly had a 430 spider, and have missed the convertible. So I was lucky enough to add a 458 spider in March.

I loved my F12, but the 812 is absolutely amazing. It sounds wonderful and could easily be my only F car. That said, I had the opportunity to take my F12 to Daytona. As loud as that thing was, I had a couple of 458s pass me. Speaks for itself and the sound almost made me crap my pants.

Keep the Spider, it will only go up in smiles and value. If you do have a chance to land an 812 too, do it! It’s incredible and way more than the F12, which is a terrific car.

25. jackal2513

jackal2513 Karting

Oct 17, 2005
    F12 and 812, when driven hard, are much more exciting than 458 … more special too and that would include the Speciale too. GT’s they are not.

Boomhauer, Need4Spd and LVP488 like this.