NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 112 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    My opinion/prediction:

Artura, which is replacing the wildly successful 570S, will be very fast on track, and it will feel like an incredible supercar on the road with the hybrid drivetrain. McLaren has had a reasonable amount of seat time with the hybrid system in the P1, with an additional 4-6 years of studying aging on the platform while they were designing the Artura. When I had my 570S, I was easily reaching high confidence levels with it on track with P-Zeros (not even Trefeo Rs), and the fun factor was very high in that car on the road. While I knew it wasn't the fastest out there, the experience felt like you were getting into an exotic super car, as it was truly an event to open the doors, fire it up, and hit the road.

LB, which is sounds like it's creating a new segment for Ferrari, if based on the 458/488/F8 chassis or the Portofino/Roma chassis, will likely be aimed at thrills on the road than on track. Even the marketing material seems like it is not aimed at convincing customers that the car will break any records, but more so that it will be very fun to drive. Personally, I think that's great, and it takes the pressure off of development $ going into things that are meaningless to customers on the road. If more development focus went into making LB a fun to drive car that also happens to be beautifully sculpted, sounds amazing, and keeps up with most other supercars on the road, then they'll have a winner.

IMHO, over the years of canyon carving, I've come to appreciate cars that have power levels matched to realistic road speeds and power delivery in symphony with exhaust tones throughout the rev range. Of the recent cars I've owned, I felt that, in order from better to best, the 570S, Lusso, 991.1 GT3, and 458 Speciale all did that very well. With my new exhaust set up, while the exhaust tones are much improved and the power delivery very linear, the power levels, as most without an inferiority complex would agree, are definitely beyond what is usable and needed to enjoy public roads.

Also as many have posted above, Ferrari fans (like myself) fall in love with the dream of driving their beautiful Ferrari on track. While some (also like myself) actually do use their Ferraris, for most, reality is often very different than the dream. For example, Range Rover owners dream of their cars hitting the snowfallen roads, rocky terrains, or sandy dunes, but most never so much as change it out of the Auto Terrain setting. The biggest bumps most Range Rovers see is a pothole, speed bump, or those annoyingly tight Starbuck drive thrus where they tend to curb the rear wheel. The Pista and soon the 812 Competizione are much the same. None were really bred to truly be track vehicles for their customers; instead, they were made to fulfill the dream.

TLDR: I think the LB could be a real winner for many Ferrari dreamers out there

adall, BB84, Caeruleus11 and 7 others like this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have no doubt that the V6 hybrid will be a success even if it only succeeds partially in its stated goals, especially if is exceptionally attractive. Aesthetics will factor pre-eminently in this model.

Shadowfax and Jonathan19 like this.
  3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Must be instantly recognized as a Ferrari but bolder with a more modern imaginative design aesthetic.

ARAUJO77 likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  5. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I would say no, as the way the batteries are implemented in the floor is not what we have seen in the SF90.

SoCal to az likes this.
  6. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    "Fun to Drive"

I think those words represent the intangible...the magical...and are not specifically defined by numbers. Truth be told, many many vehicles are fun to drive. To make that the design criteria is no easy task, as this new Ferrari will need to go beyond the fun that is already expected from these type of cars. For years, members on Ferrarichat have opined about the virtues of a simpler car, perhaps a smaller car, a car that would capture the aesthetic beauty we all hope to see in a Ferrari and one that isn't overwrought with such a ludicrous level of technology to take the driver's skill out of the equation. It has been argued on our forums countless times that an additional mph, percentage more horsepower, or second off a track time was, on some level, missing the point. We have talked about getting back to the basics for a long time. Give us fun, good looks, and great performance. Give us a big smile. I think it's quite possible that is what we will get next week. That's something to be thrilled about, not worried about. Consider this: If we continue down the current rabbit hole of supercar development, what does that really get us? If Ferrari developed a road car that could go 0-60 in 0.5 seconds, could reach a top speed of 320mph, and could stick to a track better than an F1 car, how does that relate to how most of us would ever use it? Even the most dedicated track driver? It doesn't relate. There really is such a thing as too much. What, then, becomes the discriminator? What makes us smile. That's what. Good looks, sufficiently high performance, and great fun. Those have always been superior virtues and will define the success of cars in the future, just as they have in the past.

fil, Lukeylikey, Senna1994 and 4 others like this.
  7. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    So maybe the SF90's chassis is kind of a stop gap. As I posted a few pages before, the SF90 is one of 3 models to be based the current platform. Only two more to come..

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I hope you are right. We need more “fun to drive” and less weight, less nannies, more engaging. Looking forward to Tuesday.

Senna1994, Culprit and SAT4RE like this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    These highly priced cars have only one function- to enhance the owners’ enjoyment of life. They must thrill, and excite.Tickle the senses, cause goosebumps to trickle down the driver’s spine, induce adrenaline to flow through the body, stir the heart to pound, and create an ear to ear grin.

If your car fails to elicit these emotions, you own a simple mode of over priced transportation.

BB84, red passion, Gh21631 and 4 others like this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Keep in mind that fun to drive is different for everyone everyone. Some like speed, others sound, etc. Get what you like but don't **** on others choices.

Thecadster likes this.
  11. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    You're preaching to the choir my friend. I couldn't agree more.

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Good story.... but the DINO is not a Ferrari. Don't kill the messenger please...;)

Gh21631 likes this.
  13. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    So are we done talking about McLarens?

14. B-side

B-side Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Pretty impressive that there have been no solid leaks. What happened to paparazzi culture ;)?

15. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Glad you got around to reading that! I only posted that a month ago. Ha! Anyway, as I clearly illustrate with quotation marks around Ferrari and through other comments, I'm very well aware of what a Dino is and is not. That doesn't mean, as I also stated, that Ferrari hasn't tried to place much of the Dino's glory - which is considerable - on themselves. And that's great in my book!

Jakuzzi likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Probably not as I’m sure the topic of comparing Ferrari and LB to competitors will come up. I also don’t recall you adding anything to the discussion so not sure where the term “we” comes from. If there is anything else you would like to talk about, by all means post it and if it’s a compelling topic, I’m sure it will evolve into a productive discussion.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    By current platform do you mean the SF platform or the F8? To me, they look very similar with some slight tweaks but I'm likely wrong.

18. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Obviously I stayed out of the McLaren discussion because I'm here to talk about Ferraris. Specifically, I come to this thread to see if anyone has any further info on or pics of LB. I would imagine that there are McLaren forums (although you won't find me in them).

Is there anything else I'd like to talk about? Yes, Ferraris.

OSUferrari, Doug23, fil and 3 others like this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No one is stopping you from talking Ferraris. All you have to do is post and if people find the post interesting, they will respond.

F2003-GA and Coincid like this.
  20. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    I do often. And people seem to like my posts. In this particular case, I do not have any further information on LB and but am hopeful others do. But if I have to weed through dozens of pages of talk about McLaren this or McLaren that (all of which is completely meaningless to a discussion about LB and, frankly, meaningless in general), it's just aggravating and not useful, similar to your last several posts which are clearly intended to antagonize.

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s a discussion board. People discuss things. Next Thursday is the reveal. I’m sure lots of great discussions on LB then. I’m not antagonizing. Just responding.

F2003-GA likes this.
  22. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    U-Boat Commander's a good guy. Been around for years and with good posts (when he chimes in about as often as me)! Anyway, it would be easy for someone that's just starting to investigate the LB to hop on this thread, read the last few pages, and wonder where to find the discussion about the LB. The McLaren stuff is relevant, and understood to be so, if you've been glued to this thread the past week.

Now, back to the LB! I think everyone is just on edge with excitement! All friends here!

U-Boat Commander and SoCal to az like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    All good and I’m not trying to offend but if there is something about LB you wanna discuss, throw it out there.

Every thread always has tangents. Every single one. If you feel a thread is getting detailed, just post something you feel it will get back on track.

Personally I’m very excited to see LB and have inquired with my dealer about getting an allocation. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t discuss related items in addition to LB.