Newbie 308 GTS 1978 I can buy for $25k | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Newbie 308 GTS 1978 I can buy for $25k

Discussion in '308/328' started by mrnation8, Jun 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Wow, you have no idea how much I appreciate that information! I will update some pics and all the paperwork that I receive once I get the car on Monday. It’s funny you say that, because my dad and I just yesterday was watching YouTube and we were like we probably just need to take our time with no rush and pull the motor….that may be the decision now but I’ll still wait to find out all the details from the paperwork over what’s been done.

Nuvolari likes this.
  2. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Congrats on such a great find! I would suggest you also perform a leak-down test. When we bought our '85QV we did get a PPI and that included a compression test, but after doing all the basics it still wouldn't run well. After using a gas analyzer it was found that the forward bank just wouldn't respond to FI adjustments. After a leak-down we found two bent exhaust valves. It is such a simple test and it could have provided a lot of peace of mind or sent us in the correct direction quickly. The end of the story was that the engine came out, the "bad" side head came right off, but the "good" side didn't and was destroyed in the process. We sourced a used head, had them both rebuilt, most of the valves replaced, and all the springs along with hoses and belts and such. It runs perfectly now! It was just a product of poor previous maintenance. You have restored/rebuilt other classics so you know all the tests to run. Great peace of mind to knock them all off the list!

Franny

mrnation8 likes this.
  3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Before pulling the engine you should pressure test the cooling system. Once this is done just commit and take the engine out. I always go by the 'Rule of 3' which is if you have 3 or more things to do in the engine bay, just pull the motor. It is incredibly tight in there and all the time I see people just struggle and struggle rather than approaching the service with the engine out. It looks dramatic but as I said it will save time and lead to a better job because of the access.

Once out a compression test and leak down test should be done on the ground. I suggest these tests once the engine is out because it will give you a chance to remove the cam belt covers and give them a good visual inspection. A belt that is about to break will be very visible and with this knowledge you can feel confident about safely cranking the motor for the test with minimal risk.

If the engine has not run in a while the compression test could be misleading as a slightly sticky ring could give a false reading. Just bear that in mind before making any rash decisions. At 50K miles (assuming even just ok maintenance) the bottom end should be fine. These are robust engines and there is no need to re-do it just for the sake of it.

4rePhill and mrnation8 like this.
  4. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Thanks! I’m starting to take notes over all the great advice. I think the hardest part will be the wait and time to do everything to get it on the road lol! I know what I have to do but I want it now haha.

FrannyB likes this.
  5. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    I’ll know soon about the maintenance and records. I would think with the shop it was stored in and the looks of the other cars etc. the maintenance was done professionally up until he fell ill.

6. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Speaking of records, if it happens to be missing its set of books, I'm offering a spare set in the classifieds for a discounted "f-chat" price. Just an FYI.

mrnation8 and 308 milano like this.
  7. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Still planning on Sunday to get it! Quick (dumb newbie question) the odometer shows 51000 miles but then I just thought is that kilometers? If so would that be closer to 30k original miles??? That would be amazing! I’ll start googling now and may find out but just figured I’d see what the experts say first. Either way still all good with me.

8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It would only be Km if it's an in-completely federalized Euro model. There are easy ways to determine that for instance, are there vents on the rear lid that go all the way across aft of the hump?

9. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Just post a bunch of pics when you take delivery, and this forum will decode your whole car for you in about ten minutes. If it’s a US car with mph speedo, those are miles. Bear in mind, could be the original gauge, but they frequently crap out between 40-50k, so don’t presume too much about it’s accuracy. So happy for you, can’t wait until Sunday.

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Screaming deal. Congrats to you

If you're good with engines, you can rebuild this. Take your time, ask lots of questions, measure everything twice, post stuff here and we will squawk about what is going on and do our best to help and not inflame the situation :D Guys such as yourself is why this forum exists.

Cheers

Nuvolari likes this.
  11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Lucky you! I thought I got a good deal but not this good. Googles Derek’s 308 and many of your tasks are covered. Good luck :)

mrnation8 likes this.
  12. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Ok, I have it and will post some pics now. 1978 vin 23337. Been sitting since 2010, the owner had the car since late 90s. I’ll post some more details in a bit.

13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    First impression, overspray on the rear deck lid so it’s been repainted but seems you got one hell of a deal! Huge congrats! :)

mrnation8 likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrnation8 likes this.
  15. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yeah it's been repainted, seems mostly all there. Looks like it was enjoyed thoroughly on the passenger side. Still, the buy in price was dirt cheap. Hell of a deal..

mrnation8 likes this.
  16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Good purchase. Focus on the mechanical for now and enjoy it.

mrnation8 and 308 milano like this.
  17. mrnation8

mrnation8 Karting

Jun 5, 2021
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Chris Nation
    Do y’all have a recommendation for tire sizes- these have been on since Jan 99 so I’m going to go ahead and get some on it while it sits here and we work on mechanical. What’s on it now are 205/70R14

18. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    That's the original spec.

mrnation8 likes this.
  19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    First and foremost $25K was a smoking deal so take any observations I note here merely as general information. Even if the motor was totally blown you are in the money with this car so congratulations on an excellent buy. Here is what I see:

1. Car has been repainted. No big deal most of them have and the paint looks ok so it is a big advantage
    2. I'm almost sure the seats have been re-done and they ok'ish. Hopefully a good cleaning will make everything look better
    3. Tail lights are inverted. Very common and easy to fix
    4. I'm not sure what is that cover over the dash binnacle. Either way removing just the binnacle and re-doing it is no big deal
    5. Car looks to have all of its emissions equipment. Take it all off and put it in a box to store for future sale. If one of those air pumps seizes (which they do) the engine will jump time and blow itself to pieces
    6. I'm not sure why the hand brake is crooked but it should sit straight
    7. Bumpers and trim look to be in really nice condition. This is a full US Spec car.
    8. Tires are definitely aged out. Replace them before doing any driving on them.

The car looks generally VERY complete. Far and away the best buy on one of these I have seen in a long time. Simply put you bought this at call it 2004 values. Take the time and give it a complete service. As I said before remove the engine and replace every piece of rubber. For not a lot of money you will have a very very nice 308 which you WILL make money on in the future. Well done!

20. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Wow oh wow oh wow!

Beautiful!

Welcome to the family! :D

mrnation8 likes this.
  21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Very Nice and great price!!!

mrnation8 likes this.
  22. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I would consider one of 2 options:

1. Get the existing wheels re-finished and put a set of Michelin XWX tires on it. It is the ONLY tire that looks correct for the 308 (because it IS the correct tire) but they are shockingly expensive. Refinishing the wheels won't be cheap either as they are magnesium. There are cheaper 14" tires available but not one of them really looks good on the 308 and 14" tire tech is pretty old now so most have low speed ratings on them as they are for economy cars.

2. The MUCH more popular option is to store the wheels you have and buy a set of reproduction 16" wheels from Superformance and fit modern 16" tires to the car. There are endless threads here so search for more answers but the long and short of it is the a new set of wheels with tires costs less than the 14" Michelin tires. In addition you get higher performance tires, and updated look, and everything new. It is a very common and popular thing to do to a 308 so it is worthy of consideration.

djs308, mrnation8 and 308 milano like this.