Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Most of us knew this all along. The cars need to get 150kg lighter, smaller, and cut down on the aero.

Kimi has a say as well.

Hamilton: I don't understand why F1 cars are getting heavier

Mercedes Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton says he does not understand why F1 is letting cars get continually heavier while also trying to improve sustainability.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F1’s new generation of cars in 2022 are set to be the heaviest ever, with the minimum car weight currently set at a whopping 790kg.

The move to heavier turbo hybrid powerunits from 2014, allied to improved safety structures and the arrival of the Halo, have contributed to a big hike over the years.

From around 640kg at the end of the V8 era, the cars went past 700kg in 2016 and are now nudging 750kg.

The extra bulk that is carried around has contributed to cars being less nimble, and is believed to be a contributing factor in why venues like Monaco no longer appear particular well suited to F1 machinery.

For seven-time world champion Hamilton, the extra weight also seems to go against a push by the wider world for cars to get lighter in a bid to use less energy.

“I don’t understand why we’re going heavier,” he said. “I don’t understand particularly why we go heavier when there’s all this talk about being more sustainable – just as the sport is going in that direction.

“By going heavier and heavier and heavier, you’re using more and more energy. So that feels that’s not necessarily in the right direction or in the thought process.”

As well as cars being heavier, they are also much bigger in dimension compared to previous years.

Hamilton says the whole feel of the cars has changed hugely since he started in F1 in 2007.

“The lighter cars were more nimble, were nowhere near as big, naturally, and so racing, manoeuvring the car, was better,” he said.

“On the tracks we’re going to, they’re getting wider. In Baku it’s quite wide in places and of course it’s narrow in other places.

“Monaco was always relatively impossible to pass, but now the cars are so big that it’s too big for the track. And, as I said, as we get heavier and heavier, that’s more energy we’ve got to dissipate – bigger brakes, more brake dust, more fuel to get you to the locations.

“I don’t fully understand it.”

Alfa Romeo veteran Kimi Raikkonen says the change in car weight since he started in F1 in 2001 has never been a shock, as it has happened gradually.

However, the 2007 world champion says that it is only when looking back in the history books that the scale of the change hits home.

“It’s a lot when you see the old cars next to this year’s cars or even the last year’s cars,” he explained.

“Some years it’s, ‘How small they look!’ So, obviously we are not here to design.

“I think if we still did race the mid-2000s or whatever year you want to pick cars, it wouldn’t make any difference to racing. It just wastes an awful lot of money on the way to get to here and nothing else has changed.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/hamilton-i-dont-understand-why-f1-cars-are-getting-heavier/6560699/

Senna1994 and william like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Fully agree with his Lewisness here.

One wonders what the absolute morons who dream up the F1 rules are smoking.

stavura, Senna1994, Picchu88 and 3 others like this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    E cigarettes.

Bas and Senna1994 like this.
  4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Hamilton is spot on, anyone see the picture posted on line of the 2008 McLaren next to the 2021? Absolutely gigantic in comparison.

Bas likes this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep

There's a thread I posted of Alonso running the Renault R25 at Yas Marina in 2020(???) and there's a pic of the R25 next to RS20.....quite the difference. Good thread too.

Senna1994 and Bas like this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's strange to consider that in pre-war times, the technical rules for GP cars were very liberal, almost "formula libre", but imposed a maximum weight,

Now technical rules for F1 are very restrictive but impose a minimum weight.

The ideal must be in between.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Probably something legal in 17 stated and 14 more with a prescription.

Bas likes this.
  8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Now if you were to put 312T besides both of them you would see that the cars at nearly twice as long as they were in the early 1970s.

Senna1994 likes this.
  9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Minimum weight was adopted as a safety move. Maximum weight was imposed to keep engine size and on-board gasoline in check.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I am not sure if fuel was taken in consideration when the cars were weighted pre-war.
    I think I read in "Racing with the Silver Arrows" that the 750kg maximum was dry weigh and without the tyres !
    But cars had crude and heavy chassis, V12 or V16 engines up to 6 liters, etc...

Now F1 cars have many composite components, carbon fiber chassis, body, also suspension parts which are very light.
    The engines are only 1.5 liters V6, with alloy casings, same for the gearbox thanks to modern foundry technology.
    It makes you wonder where all that weight goes, and if F1 shouldn't address that

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Pretty sure the engine blocks are machined out of forged billet aluminum. Heads and Valve covers could be cast.
    Gear boxes have moved to carbon fiber with a few forged aluminum structural components.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That renault, running for from an ideal setup and pace, was running only a few seconds a lap slower on tyres it wasn't developed for, than the current cars with all their tech, 15+ years of aerdynamic knowledge and so on. Also much wider and lower front wings and wider rear wings.

Even though todays cars are impressive, that more puts into perspective just how impressive those cars where!

stavura, Senna1994, SimCity3 and 3 others like this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Alonso ran the R25 on red banded tires at night and did a 1:19 and change almost equaling Lewis's 2019 fastest lap time in the race....no DRS....yeah 15+ years later....impressive.

F1 cars are getting heavier and heavier(battery packs are not light)....where's the tech to get these cars lighter???

stavura, Senna1994, ktu and 3 others like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If the FIA allowed the minimal weight to be lower (say 650kg) for next year, the engineers would take up the challenge with gusto and some technologies could come out of the woodwork!
    I have no fear of that.

stavura, ktu, SimCity3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Fat cars are no good for the sport or the environment. End.

16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Fragile carbon fibre wings are crap. They cause punctures and time delay race restarts.

Alluminium wings would be a vast improvement !!

375+ and Bas like this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Making the front wing a lot narrower will be a good start as well. No wider than the inside of front tyre....

IIRC around 1994 F1 cars weighed as little as 505kg without fuel...!

stavura, furoni, Senna1994 and 3 others like this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    No complaint with what he’s saying. I believe he is pretty accurate, actually. I think the “goat” talk in all sports is kind of useless. Things are so different from era-to-era. You have starts of their respective eras and that’s enough for me.

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Get rid of the hybrids.
    Auto companies have now seen the hybrids are only limited in life to span between pure ICEs and pure battery powered cars.
    Just go back to ICEs and leave the hybrids out in the cold.

Bas, jgonzalesm6 and SimCity3 like this.
  21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1

And e-fuel will be with us soon enough, Porsche / Siemens doing some great work

Bas likes this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That may be a reprieve for ICE, but can it be produced in quantity and at what cost?

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The only advantage of E-Fuels is that the carbon is in a cycle rather than once through (not counting dinosaur time period).

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The batch they're ordering for 2022 is very small, hence the cost. I don't know to what scale the 2027 production is, Porsche only? Or more?

The fuel is as clean or cleaner than EV all things considered. There is hope yet...

FWIW Euro 95 (i.e. weak piss) in western Europe is already close to this price per liter, and that's todays prices. 2026 Efuel in vast quantities at 2 USD per liter will be of higher quality than Euro95 and much, much cleaner. Sounds like a win-win. EVangelicals can continue pretending to save the planet driving their glorified milkfloats, normal people can continue doing what they do and actually be cleaner than them!

jpalmito, SimCity3 and 375+ like this.
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    2 USD per liter pre tax. No matter, I'm all for it.