360 - (360) Heat exchanger replacement DIY | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 (360) Heat exchanger replacement DIY

Discussion in '360/430' started by fotostars, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Instead of bypassing the HX buried below the manifold didn't someone install another style of HX close to the fender?

2. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Yes, the 2 banjo bolts are feed and return of transaxle oil. The coolant goes through the 2 boots/reducers on each end going through the Heat Exchanger. I would have started by giving a 1/4 turn extra to the clamps that hold the boots to the H/E. They should be accessible with a long extended ratchet from the top (threading in between the intake plenum pipes going down to the head)....
    What you see leaking from the banjo bolt may be coming from the boot high on the HE and it catches the banjo and leaks from there.
    If you actually have coolant coming off from the banjo, your transaxle is toasted!

Good luck...

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    My are power seats, do i need to remove the tracks?

4. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    You wore 110% right. I was able to see where was coming from. I worked the scope camera around the HE and notes coolant coming from the end of the boot facing the engine. Ur suggestion is to replace the boot? Or just tighten the clamp?

5. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Try tightening the clamp first, sometimes that's all it takes... Easy, cheap, rewarding... :)

6. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    EastMemphis likes this.
  7. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    The suspense is killing me ;-) Verdict?

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the track and the seat are one unit. you remove 4 bolts and the track/seat are free to go

9. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    Great. Thanks.

10. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    all good. Leak stopped. Tomorrow i will bring it up to temp and check it again

fotostars likes this.
  11. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    Here is the latest. I was putting the cover back on the TB and I notes the right belt is lose. I had my mejor service 2 years ago and did 5k miles. should i just tighten or replace the Hydraulic Tensioner. Or they just forgot to set it. Take a look and tell me what do you tink. Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    View attachment 3671995

Attached Files:

13. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    Is it possible to remove the heat exchanger just removing the pump assembly? I need to replace the botts on the heat exchanger. Thanks.

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It is, that's how most people do it. I removed my intake so I could replace my runner gaskets

15. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    I saw the leak coming from the boot close to the engine. Ones i tide the 2 clamps it started to leak like crazy only with 5 pounds od pressure. Did i over tighten? Did i bend the exchanger? New is 900$. Any way i can still use it ? Or should i just change the boot? Whats your advice? Car only has 20k miles, but is still 17 yers old. .

16. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
  17. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
  18. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    I am going to this update during my next major, I spoke Greg and he convinced me that its one of those parts that will eventually go out.

19. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    That company no longer makes the kit are you making your own kit?

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

20. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    I can barely use a screw driver, I will contact Greg and see what's up with that.

21. Martaroony

Martaroony Rookie

Oct 5, 2020
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Hey Guys , can anyone help with advise on where to buy replacement aftermarket 360 Heat exchangers. By all accounts , they seem quite hard to come by, and are there any design improvements, ie: different metal makeup, or increased capacities. etc. Thanks in advance. Marty.

22. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I emailed them about 2 months ago and they told me a new version is coming out soon

23. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Lol I wouldn't hold your breath I talked to them 3 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

clean512 likes this.
  24. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Just use the OEM part. If you flush your coolant regularly, you shouldn’t have a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. Martaroony

Martaroony Rookie

Oct 5, 2020
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Thanks Clean512 for your reply, I was more so talking about original position replacement, I dont think the Dynamic Tech group option is viable.
    I thought some one may have reproduced them for original Placement with revised Material to Improve on the original design. But having said that , It may not be an inherent design failure , but more an Expectation short fall on our part, thinking that they should last longer with out doing periodic coolant changes.
    From what I understand here in Australia , they are quite hard to find even genuine these days, so its about now ,when someone steps up and starts after market producing, so that well well be my next task next week. (Finding a Heat exchanger Engineering shop) that can make a run of these units..
    Let me know what you think... Marty.