2000 550 maranello - intermittent no start | FerrariChat

2000 550 maranello - intermittent no start

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Protons, Jun 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Protons

Protons Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Helping my friend diagnose an intermittent no start on his 550.

The car has been to multiple repair facilities and no one was able to diagnose it properly.

Issue is as follows: the vehicle will not start sometimes, it will always crank once the alarm is disabled (using the red, master fob) but sometimes would not fire.

This usually happens after the car has been left overnight, I noticed that when it doesn't start, the check engine light isn't lit on the cluster and there is a slow down message.
    Cycling the key on and off a few times, check engine light is lit, wait a few seconds, "check ok", vehicle will crank and start.

I checked all the inputs (constant power, switched power and grounds) to both M5.2s on each side and they're ok.

I checked the two injection relays, on the control side they receive constant power from the fusebox and a switched ground from the ECUs once the key is turned to the on position.

I found that the switched ground to these relays is consistent with the behavior of the vehicle.. when the there is no check engine light on the cluster, the ECUs do not ground the relays and the vehicle does not start.

From my understanding, the immobilizer on this vehicle will only kill the starter, the ECUs should still power up correctly (check engine light) should be lit with the key on, engine off. I don't think it's an immobilizer issue.

To me it seems like an intermittent failure of the M5.2s, perhaps something with the power circuitry, faulty passives etc..

Has anyone experienced these issue? Any M5.2 gurus?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    I don't think the immobiliser stops the ECU powering up, but it will stop the ECUs firing the ignitors. A good sign that the ECU has been enabled by the Immobiliser ECU is if you can get an OBD2 scanner to talk to the ECUs. Does your car have an OBD2 port?

This is a sign that the ECUs have passed their power up tests after the key has been turned on, but I still think the immobiliser completes the final step (firing). I don't think it's an immobiliser issue. It seems that the ECU is failing the power up check or simply that the ECU relay/s are intermittent. Right ECU relay "O" provides lamp power to the Check Engine Light after the relay has been energised by the RH ECU. The R ECU also provides the ground to the lamp.

Perhaps the Slow Down Light is a clue? The thermocouple ECUs do get their power from their respective ECU relays. Perhaps the SD warning is a normal consequence of one of the ECU relays not energising. I really don't know.

If you don't have an OBD2 port, there are workarounds to get fault messages.

By the way, do you have my coloured wiring diagrams for the 550?

Protons likes this.
  3. Protons

Protons Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Thank you for your reply.

The car does have an OBD2 port, and as I stated, I know the ecus booted up correctly once the check engine light is lit (key on engine off) then there is also communication via a scan tool.

Thanks for the great info, the Slow Down message only happens when the ECUs fail to power up. All the relays have been replaced and the car has a GT car parts reman fuse box. The car behaves the same with the thermocouple ECUs unplugged.

What you inferred corresponds with my findings.

I'm leaning towards a Motronic failure, I don't know these well enough but must be some passive in the power circuitry. I don't know if these have electrolytic caps and perhaps they leaked? Maybe an oscillator issue?

I'm not sure what else will prevent the Motronic from booting and grouding the ECUs relays.

I only have the horrible factory diagrams, I will greatly appreciate anything other than the factory ones.

Thank you!

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    1st thing I would do is assume you will get a no start state. So on that 1st key start that seems to fail regularly spray some starter fluid in the intake than crank the motor. starting would imply fuel issue like bleed off of fuel pressure overnight and the inability of the pumps to deliver at initial crank. So I'd be looking at fueling. That is a quick test.

If no start and you suspect the ECU's the 1st check is to remove the RH ECU and look for corrosion in the terminals of the connector and the ECU. You will see likely corrosion on the male ECU pins because the A Piller area of ALL 550's leak water down the connector into the ECU. Also check the female pins on the connector. Replacing pins solves lots of intermittent ghosts. Looking at your pins you will find some pins open such that poor connections to the male ECU pins results. Ensure your connections 1st before you move on.

Protons and Qavion like this.
  5. Protons

Protons Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    #5 Protons, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Thank you, it's definitely not a fuel supply issue, there is also no ignition when the Motronics do not power up and ground the ECUs relay.

The car runs amazingly once the ECUs are awake.

Also, sometimes even after a few days, turn the key on, CEL on = fires right up and runs beautifully.

Other days, no CEL with ignition on, and a no start condition.

I inspected both ECUs connectors when I was testing inputs to them, no signs of corrosion whatsoever. The connectors are very clean, as per the pins.. the female sides on the harness connector have an awful design I think, I tried to squeeze each pin gently to ensure a proper connection to the ECU male pins.
    I like the idea about replacing them anyways, any good source for these?

I attached a picture showing the connector on the driver side, it's clean, same goes for the passenger side.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. fernanjos!

fernanjos! Rookie

May 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jose Fernandez
    I know for sure that an OBD2 scan is not going to tell you what it's the problem in the car, I tried and failed. You need a $25k computer to talk to the car. I would recommend to take the car to GTE Engineering in NJ for a scan and fix of the car.

7. Protons

Protons Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Thanks for the reply.

We are using Leonardo for diagnsotics.

I doubt an SD3 will be more useful at this point as it seems to be a wiring issue or hardware failing.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Protons and ///Mink like this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you mean in this particular case it's not going to work or are you saying it's not possible to use an OBD2 scanner on a 550? If the latter, I'm sure the experts can guide you through the process.

Failure is not an option
    . :cool:

10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    fusebox is next weak link. When you open it the internals look like a 5yo made it. Would be great if you could swap boxes with another 550 and see what happens

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    ;)

Protons likes this.
  12. fernanjos!

fernanjos! Rookie

May 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jose Fernandez
    A
    An OBD2 scanner doesn't work in a high end cars, Ferrari, Aston, Bentley, Lamborghini, it can't talk to the car. You need a real computer to talk to the car and see what it's causing problems.

13. fernanjos!

fernanjos! Rookie

May 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jose Fernandez
    I was actually talking about an ST5 Tester

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Welcome to the 456/550/575 forum, Fernanjos. It sounds like you or your tech need some help setting up an OBD2 scanner on a 550?

High end cars in the 90’s were quite primitive compared to today’s cars. Most of the proprietary Ferrari diagnostic software for the 550 runs on Windows 95. OBD2 was limited to mostly engine diagnostics… and cheap OBD2 scanners work perfectly well on the 550. The original poster has an engine problem. He really doesn’t need to buy a $20,000 diagnostic tool for this issue.

15. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    This sounds like a scary issue to have. Please once you resolve it update the forum and let us know what the solution was incase anyone in the future has this problem.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What is a gt carparts reman fusebox? Anyone ever see the inside? What is actually done? When I did mine I ditched the film boards and rebuilt who box pegboard style. I posted about it on FC years ago and still working flawless.

If GT does what other owners have done in past resolder on flim boards that will fail. Also so stuff should be moved off board like radiator fan circuits. The connector melts outsude the board causing failure. There couls be failures outside the boards in the connectors too. Look for burnt wiring. I'm sure you will find some. Those may or maynot be your start problem but it is a problem and will fail long tetm

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  18. Protons

Protons Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Small update, replaced injection relays, now have terminal 87 output from both consistently, meaning motronics grounding the relays.

Check Engine light still coming on intermittently.

Noticed whenever no CEL (and obviously no start), ASR message is on.

Almost like a can bus issue where the ASR kills the bus or something or the motronics aren't fully powering up.

Wondering if Qavion may have a diagram for the ASR system and/or full CAN BUS plan.

Thank you

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Had the exact issue on a 550 a few years ago. It was the alarm module.

Qavion and Protons like this.
  20. Protons

Protons Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Thank you for your reply.

Would you mind expanding a little?

What was your exact issue? Was your CEL coming on intermittently when the ignition was switched on? With CEL car would fire, run normally? No CEL with key on = crank no start?

I was under the impression the alarm on this car only kills the starter, I "proved" it by getting a CEL with the alarm armed, but I couldn't crank the engine.

Please share more if you can.

Thanks.

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Protons likes this.
  22. Protons

Protons Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    #22 Protons, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Thank you!

Will scope the bus when I have more time to spend with it.

BTW the lack of CEL is always due to the ground from the RH motronic, bulb gets power from terminal 87 of the RH motronic relay, but it seems like the ECU fails to power up correctly (or missing some handshake with the alarm module over the bus) to ground the bulb and complete boot.. the lack of SI is the main challenge and I'm very grateful to all of the ones contributed.

I know some Alfas that used the same M5.2s would fail to power up if the alarm wasn't happy, if this system works the same, I guess I should investigate the alarm more.

If it is the alarm module, I wonder what will make it act up so intermittently.. I will first verify the inputs to it and make sure all are there, maybe this is the module failing to wake up / missing terminal 15 signal sometimes?

In case all the inputs are there and the failure is internal, I will see if I can spot which IC(s) store the immo data and perhaps will try and clone it to a donor module.. from previous experience with bosch systems, immo data is usually on an external eeprom and not internal to the mcu but I don't know if that's the case here as well.

I will make sure to update if I make progress.

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The immobiliser rolling codes are stored in the Motronics ECU (as well as the Immobiliser ECU).

Note that there are three channels (at least in the Immobiliser ECU), one for each fob (red master and two blacks). I wouldn't mess with this stuff unless you know exactly what you're doing. Clones can really mess things up.

I was working on my master fob EEPROM recently and managed to fry it. It cost me $800 to have the system fixed and reset by the expert at Immofixer.

Protons likes this.
  24. Protons

Protons Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    #24 Protons, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Thanks.

I made a backup of both motronics before all the diagnostics, I was able to obtain the pin code and verified it by disabling the alarm with the pin I extracted using the key and ignition switch.

I need to verify all the inputs to the alarm module before attempting anything else, as there wasnt a difference to the CEL behavior with the alarm armed / disarmed I didn't thinker with it extensively.

As far as cloning, I was referring to the alarm ecu. I don't know what memory is in there as of now, knowing bosch systems from that era, most likely an HC05 or a custom chipset with a soic8 eeprom to store the immo data itself or neither.. I'm hoping to find a lack of some input to the module rather than a faulty module.

I wasn't familiar with immofixer, maybe he can provide insight as to whether or not a faulty alarm module would stop the motronic from booting up. If he can confirm it and has a solution then we will gladly ship the modules to him for a resolution. my extensive effort to diagnose this issue properly is simply because the vehicle has been to professional repair facilities that ran out of ideas and parts to throw at it.. previous facility also mailed out both ecus and immo modules to the only NA company that specializes in them just to get them back in the same condition without a solution.

Qavion likes this.
  25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The alarm would disarm and do it beeps thing like nothing was wrong. Car would crank but not fire. After spending a ridiculous amount of time chasing ghosts...I went after the alarm module. I took it out and noticed it is the exact same as a 355 unit. Hummm..I just so happend to have a 355 in the shop for some serious long term repair work..

Pulled the 355 immobilizer set up with fobs..and plugged it into the 550. She started right away. Tried over the course of a week and zero fail to start. Ordered a new imbolizer set from Ferrari..and installed. Issue never re occured.

So I you have access to a 355 or another 550, you can swap in immobilizers without issue to test.

Qavion and Protons like this.