488 - My Car was hit yesterday, Person Ran a Red Light | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 My Car was hit yesterday, Person Ran a Red Light

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Badbruno, Jun 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Unless you have an emotional attachment to the car and expect to own it a VERY VERY long time, do everything you can to ensure the car is totaled. You will be much better off in the long run as any significant repair damage on these cars is seen as poison and will decimate its value. Glad to hear you are ok.

Graz, VAF84, Shark01 and 7 others like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yes that car is totaled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Did the steering wheel air bag and/or the passenger side dash air bag deploy?

From the photo, it looks like much of the damage is isolated to the passenger side door and a tiny bit on the fender.

Have you ever watched any of Vlad's videos over at LNC? He rebuilds exotic cars. I know for me, if I was not going to do the work myself, he'd be high on the list of people I would want rebuilding my Ferrari. Check out his YouTube channel here:

Ray

4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That sucks! Always a nightmare dealing with underinsured and irresponsible drivers. Probably better if the insurance company can total it and start over. Love Blu Corsa, total bummer!

Badbruno likes this.
  5. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Well said "any significant repair damage on these cars is seen as poison and will decimate its value" !!

6. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Hi Ray yes Ive seen Vlads tubes and they look great when they're done. But value is gone so thats the trade off

350MH83 likes this.
  7. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Yes I even reached out to Scuderia and got pricing for all parts

8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I'll echo comments that it's really good to hear you made it out OK. Probably not something that always stays on your mind after you walk out and look at your car, but after a t-bone incident, we're all glad to have you on FChat posting the experience!

Enjoy your day, my man!

JJ, Chizz, Badbruno and 1 other person like this.
  9. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    The most important thing is your health… keep us updated on that and your beautiful car…!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Badbruno likes this.
  10. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Secret Very cool thanks for reaching out to put emphasis on stuff that matters.. But us Car people get crazy with our stuff. Warm Regards

11. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    ‘Diminished Value’ is something we learned about after being hit a couple of years ago… we had great insurance, other driver had minimal through GEICO & they denied our diminished value claim… if airbags deployed the value of your car is diminished by a LOT…. In hindsight we should have held out for car being ‘totaled’ instead we repaired (which GEICO paid for) but immediately after sold it and took a loss and then had GEICO deny our diminished value claim… we were not hurt and moved on being non-litigious folks BUT we should have lawyered-up from the beginning… lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rw99, EastMemphis and Chizz like this.
  12. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    MegaMarco9 thanks for going out of your way to educate me on this nuance! I get it yes its getting crazy with the numbers changing by the hour, yes the passenger door airbag certain when off.. I have a hard time paying a percent fee for legal support vs fixed amount ~ 33%???

13. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Yep I was thinking the same thing. After you take a huge lawyer hit then you are back where you started upside down in a situation at no fault of your own. I was hoping some brilliant legal mind would chip in here. But unfortunately insurance companies will not do the right thing simply because you ask them.

Badbruno likes this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Glad your ok… let the pros handle this…top notch lawyer and the Ferrari dealer. Suspension parts, frame damage possible if hit was hard enough and new door and fender…is going to cost a lot. Diminished value which here in Florida is legal but a huge fight…went through it with a 2018 AMG C63 and it took almost 2yrs to get anything ….will be huge on this high msrp car.

Chizz likes this.
  15. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Unfortunate circumstance but as others have said, you’re ok so that’s the main thing. Push hard to scrap this car, as the value has plummeted and it’ll be very hard to unload in the future. You’ll also be without it for quite some time if you decide to repair, and you’ll possibly miss out on the Summer driving, which has a value as well.

rw99 and Chizz like this.
  16. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I am so sorry to see this Bruno. Thank god you have your health back, this car will be replaced. Quite incredible to see that it took the impact well and totaled the other car but most importantly, it protected the precious cargo...you.

Chizz and Badbruno like this.
  17. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Yes push hard to scrap it Niklas. Cheers thanks for your thoughts and advice

niklas likes this.
  18. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    mdrums thanks for your experiences, Im here from VA and wonder if VA law allows Diminished value , another wrinkle

19. Arsnlrob

Arsnlrob Rookie

Sep 25, 2016
    So sorry to see this, glad you're ok. Wife had a simlar accident last year, door took small amount of damage. Bottom line: Airbags deployed = totaled

Badbruno likes this.
  20. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    This stuff normally happens in the winter months in Naples when all the snow birds are around. Sorry it happened to you. It's a gorgeous car.

Badbruno and Chizz like this.
  21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #46 ryalex, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    +1

I had to do the same last summer. It's cleaner break to send it off as a total loss than to be stuck with an unsellable car later.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

megamarco9 and Thecadster like this.
  22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Humm don’t know…adds another twist in this…so you drove down to Naples and this happened? I’m sick to here this..truly sorry.

I’m in Tampa and was just in Naples with my 488 for a car event at Gulf Coast Motorworks….took a rock to the windshield on the way home and cracked it. Took 3 weeks to get the windshield in and now scheduled the install next week.

23. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    If this car is repaired, it will NEVER be the same. Very sorry this happened. Went through the same thing with a Bentley Continental GT and an Aston Martin Vantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. So sorry to hear and see this.

Whatever happens, push to get it totaled.

You just want a clean break from this car.

Good luck.

rw99 likes this.
  25. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    I had my cars shipped in Feb and we have been here enjoying Naples
    Then this happens! I’m not going to fool around I’m going to ship the car to Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale,, they have Ferrari certified body and paint shop!

mdrums and Dolcevita like this.