Some simple mods | FerrariChat

Some simple mods

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by sebackman, Apr 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi,
    I just did some minor mods and thought I share.

I have swapped all bulbs for LED's, except for high and low beams. Even swapped in LED's for the front fog lights with H1 bulbs.

Dimmer (reostat) has been disconnected for some time so I bough a small LED dimmer and monted on the tachometer in the original spot. I removed the reostat but kept the turning knob. I did put a thread inside it using an M3 threaded tap. Then I used brass studs to prolong the adjuster to reach the small LED dimmer. Works fine.

I also removed the old cig lighter and installed a USB charger in the same hole. Not visible with the cover closed.

I have also swapped in new lenses on all gauges as the old ones were "milky".

Stereo is out and I installed a hidden Bluetooth 5.0 adapter and will run all from the phone. Works fine.

Some additional info on new door speakers to come.

Stay safe
    //Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Abl8r and Il Tifoso like this.
  2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Your led dimmer is far less bulky than mine!

I would be interested to know the solution you came through as all the dimmer I came across would modulate the negative instead of the positive (which is an issue a the bulbs negative posts are grounded).

3. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi raemin,

I used this.
    12v DC Dimmer (pca.com)

You can connect it on either side. I connected the 12v on the "in" side and put all the LED's after the dimmer and kept their ground.

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    This one seems to modulate the (-) ,
    which was a big issue for me: once the instrument cluster was plugged in the harness, the (-) was grounded causing the bulbs to be at full power regardless of the pwm signal sent to the (-).

5. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    I have only tested on the work bench and that works with minus after the LED's. They are going back in tomorrow and I hope it works. I can't see that that should be different than the work bench. But you may be right.... Now that would be a disapointment.

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    most of the dimmer that I've bought do rely on N-channel MOSFET so they have to be placed between the load and the ground. As the bulbs are connected directly to ground this does not work (i.e you need to have the dimmer located between the load and the positive supply rail). So you need a dimmer with P-channel MOSFET. Sam could probably explain it better than me, but that's the idea...

Chineese dimmer are easy to check: if the FETS legs are on the negative side then the module is not appropriate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I've spent hours on AliExpress and ebay searching for a proper module, even bought 2. In the end I just bought one from ABELtronic that works but more bulky and more expensive.

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Indeed, low-side switching (e.g. switching the ground to control a load) is way more common than high-side (switching "+" to the load) with newer and more modern electronic switching devices (e.g. FETs, MOSFETs, etc). I will not bore you all with why... unless there are some that wish to be bored to tears ... The basic reason is that low-side switching is much easier to do with these modern components and also because these components are a lot cheaper than the high-side equivalent. Can high side switching be done with the appropriate version of these components? Yes, but additional circuitry, etc is needed along with various electrical protection components. Since most large manufactured products are designed for the lowest of costs they typically choose low-side switching... which is why these products are abundantly available and are inexpensive.

Depending upon what I am designing, I also will normally go with low side switching unless the design must use high-side switching (e.g. auto industry, etc). This is not necessarily because of cost, but that the low-side switching components are far more common, have a lot more manufacturers, have lower on resistance, can be found in much smaller physical packages given the switching current, and are stocked 5-10x as much as the high side equivalent. Interestingly, a few of my somewhat recent designs that include high-side switching components, had the these high side components discontinued. Since these components can be tough to second source, I will have to redesign those designs because I cannot find an alternate high side component that has the same physical and electrical characteristics... and this is another reason why high-side switching is not used as often unless absolutely required.

I hope the above makes sense.

Cheers,

Sam

Jasonberkeley and raemin like this.
  8. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I wish I understood electrical stuff!

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jason,

Me too :) ... Just when I think I know or feel comfortable with some new tech another one pops up and the learning process starts all over again. That being said basic electrical knowledge and understanding is not too tough to learn. However, be advised that the rabbit hole is endless, as one can dig deep into the physics of it all, or its application, etc.

If you are keen to jump in I believe that a number of Universities offer free online courses because of Covid... Now would be a good time to take advantage of these items.

Cheers,

Sam

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Hello. Sent you a message. I’m definitely interested in getting the replacement lenses.

11. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    I just wanted to confirm the the LED and PCA LED dimmer described above works perfect. It took some to time to free up some garage time but the interior is now going back. I can dim all instruments from off to pretty bright.

raemin likes this.