NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 114 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512tr1992

512tr1992 Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    The rear half (which is SF90's biggest issue) seems very promising. The C-pilar goes down very nice and the tail looks low and flat (TR/348/355 style, which is a good thing to me).

2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    As long as it doesn’t look like a McLaren it should be nice, LOL. And as Ferrari have a proper design department, I expect new and stylish.

Bas, Tomw384, Doug23 and 6 others like this.
  3. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Yes, actually if you project forward 6-9mths it will be Portofino/Roma/V6/Purosangue/SF90 and who knows about future of front-engined V12

Caeruleus11, SoCal to az and 9nb like this.
  4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I haven't seen the SF90 in person yet, but that whole back window setup looks very awkward to me. Whatever they do with regard to this new V6 model, I hope they will not continue over the crazy rear window look the SF90 has. Maybe I'm missing something or perhaps because I haven't seen the SF90 in the flesh, I'm too concerned about it - but to me, it seems like that is a sort of odd-ball setup back there on the window and all that.

Ray

BB84, babgh and Juvendude like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    What is it that bothers you? Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Other than the fact that it looks like a Speciale was rear ended by a Prius - and they were unable to extract the Prius from the engine bay - nothing at all.

Ray

ilko, junc, BB84 and 8 others like this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    OK

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Did you ever watch that movie Total Recall? Where "Kuato" pops out of the guy's stomach and starts talking? I'm just wondering if the designers in Italy had been watching that movie on late night TV a few days near when they penned the design for the back window of the SF90 maybe? It sort of has a similar feeling, but maybe it's just me. Like I say, I have yet to see it in person, so maybe photos don't do it justice or something.

Ray

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray

And how did this giant ugly block make it through wind tunnel testing, that's what I want to know? Or is that some sort of after market add-on from Napa Auto?

If that's all the better Ferrari can do for their sat antenna - a big block that looks like a bird took a crap on the roof - then people in the design department at Ferrari need to start being fired.

I hope the V6 car is amazing, but I'm not holding my breath based on the rear lines of the SF90.

Ray

BlackRivazza likes this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I can tell you that that antenna has been optimized for aero & packaging.
    The inner components dictate the size & shape. Not a whole lot can be done other than what they've done.

11. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I know the SF90 looks odd in pictures but it looks WAY better in person.

Remember when the 275 came out and everyone thought that it looked odd because of the headlights? The design language has to move on. I applaud the daring design. I just don't like hybrids.

Caeruleus11, SVR, cesman and 2 others like this.
  12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    And what happened to the logo? Did they forget to glue it to the body and it’s falling off ?

vij23, RayJohns and jm2 like this.
  13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I also think it’s dreadful

RayJohns likes this.
  14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    So you're telling me that for $50 to $100 I can buy a beautifully sculpted carbon fiber satellite antenna from Amazon, yet Ferrari's entire design department that builds F1 cars can't come up with something better than basically a big ugly square brick for the roof of the SF90?

Oh hey, listen, before I forget.. a few of us are going in on this bridge over in Brooklyn... we are gonna setup toll booths and make a killing; I've already discussed it with my partners and we can still get you in, if you act fast.

PM me for details.

Ray

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ya, sure. Optimized would be it not existing. It looks dreadful.

RayJohns likes this.
  16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Funnily I don’t really mind the overall design of the SF. A lot of people don’t like the front but I like it.

The rear is awful, however. There is no fluidity or continuance about it. And that antenna is an abomination.

Bas, Thecadster and RayJohns like this.
  17. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Also acts as a rudder to aid in high speed maneuvering.

Cigarzman, AD211 and Dela like this.
  18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1

I wouldn't even put that antenna on the top of a Transit van.

If you look at how a typical shark-fin antenna and GPS unit is laid out from a circuit board standpoint, there sure seems to be plenty of room in there to slim things down. Again, maybe I'm missing something which required the SF90 to have a giant block on the roof.

Ray

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  19. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019
    #2844 Ale55andr0, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    V-6/812( that will be replaced by next gen V-12)/SF90/next gen V-12 hypercar

"fixed"

kane00, cesman and 9nb like this.
  20. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Doesn’t photograph well.. rear window is not an issue in the flesh or while driving it..

21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Based on @jm2 ’s design CV I think I’ll take his word for it and reserve my sarcastic comments for the guys posting about how they are surgeons versus the carpenters defending the alternate view point.

Doug23, F140C and Bas like this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The irony here is unbelievable. About 20 yrs ago our studio was asked to work with the Delphi engineering group that was developing the ‘new antennas’ required for On Star and GPS/Sirius radio. While doing our regular design work doing Cadillac Exteriors, we worked hard to optimize these awful antennas. We hated them, but we’re told it was the only solution at that time to provide the necessary functions for celestial communication with our vehicles. They were going on hundreds of thousands of vehicles.We did the best we could within .5 mm to get the best looking solution to meet aero targets, cost, function,etc. etc.

So here we are 20 yrs later with the same packaging. No one liked them then, and apparently no one likes them now. But I’m confident Ferrari engineers and designers worked tirelessly to optimize the solution. Deal with it. If you get your car and it has one and you hate it, remove it. No GPS/satellite radio/cell reception. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Doug23, Caeruleus11, F140C and 4 others like this.
  23. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    OK OK... You got got me... It isn't my favorite design. But I am old school! I suspect pretty much everyone here is. No one here wants a hybrid Ferrari. I get it. I think all these new car designs would look so much better if they were the size of a 355 instead of a Cadillac. I hope the new Dino is like that.
    I do though like the fact they are doing something completely wild and daring. The two window rear window (one half is above the rear engine cover and another is below it) is pure lunacy that only you could find in Italy and I admire it just for that. Sure they could have gone with a one piece rear window but that is on every 360, F430, 458, 488 and, F8 coupe not to mention countless other mid-engine cars like the C8 Corvette (soon to be on every street corner). You got to do something different.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Don’t worry you’re not the only one who has arrived at this same conclusion. And no it doesn’t get better in the flesh. Only the rusted on Ferrari diehards believe everything Ferrari does is beyond reproach and will continually offer a range of excuses to jolly themselves over the look but the irony is if Kia or Hyundai came out with this design these same diehards would be all relentlessly throwing off at it. It just goes to prove how a Ferrari badge can make an ugly duckling take on the guise of a Swan to the diehards. Sad but true.

Anyway…the greater majority are hoping and praying LB looks nothing like SF90 and Im also sure the design team knew they had to do something to recover the situation so fingers crossed.

Senna1994, BB84, pk328 and 4 others like this.
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I may be wrong here, or tech sorted it out since then, but early full carbon tub cars (even up to Aventador IIRC!) had issues with the antenna transmitting very poorly due to carbon fiber disturbing the signal, or something?

the sharkfin isn't beautiful or anything but it doesn't disturb me. I quite like the SF90, not a big fan of the squared rear lights really that's it, can still live with it...

ingegnere likes this.