Longest road trip in your Ferrari? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Longest road trip in your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robstand, May 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KGRacer

KGRacer Rookie

Apr 2, 2008
    Stoney Creek
    Full Name:
    Paul Kitchener
    In December 1995 I decided to attend the Delivery of the first F50 to a fellow Challenge racer Paul Frame. I hopped into my 1976 308GT4 in Toronto, Ontario and headed for College Station and Texas World Speedway. This was the site of my first Challenge race. I would have taken my 348 Challenge (#32 of 32) but it was in New Jersey getting some repairs done after a crash at Mt. Tremblant. It was a great Weekend and he 308 did well on the track. After the event I decided to visit my 348 and headed east and stopped in Tennessee Woke up the next morning to snow. Interesting driving with my track tires still on. Stopped in NJ at Classic Coach.
    Fascinating visit, spectacular work being done on their customers' cars and there was no more gracious host than Frank. Then it was Back home through Buffalo. Somewhere along that leg my speedometer clicked over 100,000 kms. The total distance of approx 3710 miles certainly added to that.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    308 milano, Nospinzone and Bryanp like this.
  3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Interesting Ferrari.

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Well....not my longest trip but sure glad it's over.

I just arrived to my home in the mountains. Drove 800 miles from Naples FL to Living Falls NC in my 330 GTC. It rained almost the entire way.

The GTC performed flawlessly. Great little car.

flat_plane_eddie and Way2fast like this.
  5. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    German version

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    pdxjim488 and tomc like this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sam, this is Officer Doofy (Scary Movie reference), I have a search warrant to download your black box. :D:D:D

Outstanding!

Way2fast likes this.
  8. NioMarvin63

NioMarvin63 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nion Marvin
    The "longest trip" I've had. It happened when my friend and I decided to take a ride from Miami, Fort Lauderdale to Tampa St. Petersburg. We decided to have fun on the weekend. But as soon as we drove no more than 30 miles, the fuel pump failed. My friend in motor trader has had this problem for a long time. In general, this was the end of our journey and he got into a rather expensive renovation. This is the "longest" journey in my life)

9. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    Tonight I just finished my longest road trip in my 2013 458 Spider. It was only 107 miles roundtrip traveling from Estes Park, CO to Grand Lake, CO on Trail Ridge Road which reaches over 12,000 feet in elevation. I had the top down most of the time especially for the high altitude part. Car ran flawless and was very comfortable. I have not quite owned it a year and am finally getting to know it enough to bond with it. I am having Ferrari of Denver put a cruise control on it soon to make it suitable for longer trips. Then probably some much longer mountain trips around the entire state.

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #85 Ingenere, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    There have been lots of cross country Ferrari trips over the years. Aside from the journey itself, its really about the memories and the people met along the way. One story was the pick up of my TR.

It took months to find the right TR and negotiate the right price. I am in AZ..... and the car is in Menominee, MI. That sounds like a 2000 mi road trip to me!

It took 3 planes to get there. I was the only person to get off the plane and there was one guy there, wearing a Ferrari sweatshirt. This must be my ride! Outside the airport was #71011, black/tan...... my perfect spec. Much to the owner's surprise, I hoped behind the wheel for the short drive to his house.

Car was as represented, fresh service and ready to go. Deal done, money changed hands, he asked when the truck was arriving to bring it home. When I informed him I was driving, I saw the blood run out of his face as the car was about to get more miles in 3 days than it had in 5 years! He informed me that it was about to rain and I could stay over (car had never seen rain). I told him that I had to get back to work, so unless the windshield wipers don't work, rain was in our future.

First night...... windshield wipers work. After check in at the Holiday Inn, off to the car wash. As I'm doing my thing, a limo passes and then backs up. It is a bachelor party, replete with 'rental girls'. Lots of pictures, questions, girls on the TR. Rather entertaining first night.

The first 400 miles, I wasn't that impressed with the performance until S Dakota, where 175 was hit rather undramatically. Somewhere north of Mt Rushmore I stopped for a walk about. When I came out of the mall, the TR had a crowd around it. After making my way through, 2 twenty somethings were left. First they asked to see the engine, so I popped the rear deck. Then they asked if they could smell the interior, so I let them sit in it. As I was about to leave, they offered to buy lunch. I was beginning to enjoy this TR ownership thing.

Mt Rushmore brought a brief stop. Upon returning to my pretty dirty Ferrari, another crowd, more pictures, lunch and new friends.

The last night had me stopping in a little town in CO. One more visit to a car wash. This time my visitors were some teens with some gang tats. Just when I thought the Glock was going to get some use, they just wanted to know about the car and how I managed to earn it. Maybe there is some hope for the kids.

Last day brought an early start, empty roads and long straights. I had only been on the road for an hour, so I wasn't ready for triple digits. While just cruising I catch a NM state trooper on the other side of the highway with a customer. As hard as I tried to be invisible, both of them stared as I went by. I didn't think much of it until about 20 minutes later I catch flashing lights in my rear view a good 4-5 miles back. It couldn't possibly be for me, but I decided not to hang around to find out. Several miles at 150+, the vision in my mirror was gone. I spy a rest area and I duck for cover. I wait for what seemed like an eternity and finally he streaks by with his lights on. Now I'm feeling a bit trapped, but eventually I said to hell with it and took off. It wasn't 5 miles down the road when my radar detector starts tapping me on the shoulder. It keeps getting more frantic and as I come over a rise there are 2 of NM's finest in the median, radar on, lights blazin', standing next to their cruisers waving as I go by. When I stopped for gas 3 of my new trooper buddies pulled in, we talked cars, smelled interiors and I bought them coffee and doughnuts.

The rest of the way to Phoenix was uneventful...... but quick. The point of this story is not so much about the cars, but about the people you meet and the memories you make that last a lifetime.

First pic is the previous owners saying goodbye. Second is near Mt Rushmore.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

pdxjim488, ryalex, JimEakin and 4 others like this.
  11. Nero308QV

Nero308QV Rookie

Feb 4, 2011
    My longest trip was in the summer of 2007 with my 308 GTS QV (at that time already with 207.000 kilometers on the engine and gearbox) from Munich, Bavaria (Germany) to the North Cape (Norway) and back. that was 9,000 kilometers in total.

12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    As I mentioned earlier I while not the long journeys of other posters last Monday I completed the 800 mile trip from Naples FL to our home in the mountains of NC in my 330 GTC. The impetus for getting the car up here was an invitation to show the car at the Highlands Motoring Festival in Highlands NC. I committed months ago and had to get the car here.

Naples to St Pete was fairly uneventful. Done that trip about 50+ times. From St Pete we left mid-day Sunday.......big mistake. On i-75 in Ocala there was a typical "gaper-block" accident on the opposite side of the interstate. Probably a 10 mile back-up in 95 degree FL heat. After too much stop and go the engine temp creeped up toward 130 C. Not good. So I pulled over to the shoulder put my blinker on and slowly made my way up the shoulder at about 25 mph. Hoping nobody would get pissed off at me for using the shoulder but I had no choice. The ploy worked and the temp came down to about 100 after a few minutes.

That was just the beginning. Once we hit the FL/GA line the skies opened up. Non-stop rain from Valdosta to our overnight stop destination in Athens GA. Some of the rain was torrential. Had to dodge fallen pine trees and branches in the dark of night in no-where GA. I have to admit the car did really well. I have a great a/c [modified] in the GTC. And even the wimpy little windshield wipers worked enough for me too see in the heavy rain. When the rain slacked I drove 4000 rpm in 5th = 90 mph. The car sits well below 100. Above the front end gets a bit light. Both water and oil temps were 90 while I ran 90. Great little car.

When I got home last Monday I had to pull some pine needles and small branches out of the grill. Apparently picked them up somewhere near Athens. On Wednesday did simple wash and interior clean for the show. Car looks great.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

pdxjim488, ryalex, Nembo1777 and 3 others like this.
  13. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    This thread and old mate and his concern of hitting 30000 miles in a Ferrari should be merged......briefly!

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    That would result in a bad accident.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    In June 2017 we picked up our new 2017 Cali T at Boardwalk Ferrari on a Tuesday afternoon and drove it approximately 35 miles to our home. The next morning (Wednesday) we put our luggage in the trunk and took off on a road trip from Texas to Illinois to visit family. Detoured a little bit on the way home through the Ozarks and driving some back roads rather than interstates the entire way. When we got home our new Cali T had over 2000 miles on the odometer.

ryalex, Nospinzone and tomc like this.
  16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Can't get much further south than today in the CONUS! The overseas highway must have been a lot of fun in the 612!
    T

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Actually I've also done that ride twice on my Harley Deuce. All of the drives were tons of fun. I highly recommend it for everyone!

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Actually I've also done that ride twice on my Harley Deuce. All of the drives were tons of fun. I highly recommend it for everyone!

20. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil
    5200 km from Prague to Venice in 8 days…
    via Slovakia, Hungary, Romania ( transraru transalpina tranfagasan mountain passes) Bulgaria, Serbia Macedonia Cosovo Croatia to Italy.

Came back with a bunch of stamps on my passport and memories for a lifetime

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    The longest one-way trip I ever made in my 1967 GTC was on the day I bought it, November 8, 1975.

I purchased it from FAF Motorcars (Now Ferrari of Atlanta) in Tucker, Georgia. They obtained it from Ed Waterman who purchased it from the original owner.

The trip home to Rochester, NY was just under one thousand miles, with one overnight stop. The engine had a major rebuild by ALGAR, at around 40,000 miles. I purchased it with approximately 600 miles on the rebuild.

I in Rochester, I made many trips: for example to Toronto, to Mosport, to Westchester County, to Long Island and to the Jersey shore. When I moved from Rochester to the Philadelphia area in 1989, I continued to make many trips, anywhere from 100 miles to 500 miles round trip. I should also mention that while living in Rochester, I attended many track events – Lime Rock, Watkins, Mid-Ohio to name a few. I drove approximately 10,000 miles on the various tracks.

In 2008, I retired and moved to South Carolina, still driving the car regularly but no more track events. I made many short round trips – 50 to 200 miles and one long trip – around 1,400 miles to the fca event in Millville, NJ. After that, I was so disgusted with fca that I vowed never to associate with the organization again.

I still have it of course and it has over 201,000 miles. As a point of interest, when I lived in Rochester and Pennsylvania, I only drove it for around six months per year – lots of road salt in the winter. Had I spent those 34 years in the south (NO SALT!), the car would probably have around 400,000 miles.

Just my 2-cents!

Bob Z.

NYC Fred, SCantera, Llenroc and 5 others like this.
  22. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    ERROR: "I in Rochester" should read "When I lived in Rochester"

23. khcompt

khcompt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2013
    Halifax, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ken Compton
    I purchased my first and only Ferrari, a 1999 355 F1 spider, in Kelowna BC early 2015. In July of that year I traveled to Kelowna to take delivery of the car and drive it back to Beaumont Alberta. The total trip was 870 klm. I took the route through the mountains from Kelowna NE on 97A to Revelstoke via Vernon(see picture). Then # 93 and 11 to Lake Louise. From Lake Louise I took # 12 to Rocky Mountain House in Alberta. To this point the trip was all through the Rockies and Banff National P Parks so the views were fantastic and very little traffic. At Lacombe I took #2 on to Nisku then Beaumont. The only issue I had was by the time I got to Vernon the RPM would not return to idle when I took my foot off the gas peddle. I called the company where I bought the car and headed back to Kelowna for a repair. However when I got out of the car at the shop I noticed the floor mat pressing against the gas peddle. When I pulled it back I discovered that the 2 sets of mats were installed, so I removed one - problem fixed!!!

So all in all not near as fantastic as some of the trips you all have recounted, but for me being my first run in my, new to me, 355 it was a BLAST and one to remember.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Bob...I remember driving to FAF in my [first] GTC in late 76 that I had bought in May. I kept thinking I was lost because FAF was located in an innocuous industrial park. Not a place you would expect a Ferrari dealer to be. My "home" Ferrari dealer was Algar. Can't remember how many times I visited Algar whether for parts for my Dads multiple Ferraris or just to gawk in the showroom. Made good friends with Lee Rimani....THE ultimate parts expert. Lee did wonders for me and my Dad.

Another common experience with you is that I purchased my first GTC from Ed Waterman. His dealership/showroom was in a underground parking garage of a suburban office building in Arlington VA. For years after the purchase I was told that buying a car from Ed was somewhat of a roll of the dice. Fortunately 10857 my first GTC was a solid car that I put 100k miles on it before selling in 1985. Back then 330 GTCs were $10k and 275 GTBs were $25k.

DE to FL was a trip I made more times than I can remember. One time in the snow at Christmas coming back to DE. The GTC is a practical vintage.

Texas Forever likes this.
  25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I've been thinking. Your GTC may be the perfect car for the mountains as long as your synchros are decent.