Official book collectors thread | Page 145 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Fingers crossed they allow a free path ahead.

of2worlds and Albert-LP like this.
  2. joejackson

joejackson Karting

Aug 18, 2006
    Muenster/Germany
    Full Name:
    Gert S
    Hortons has now a couple of pictures on his website. My copy from Chater's is already on the way to me.

Zeltweg likes this.
  3. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    This from Julian Balme regarding how it compares to Simon Kidston's Miura book: Its very different to the Miura book size-wise but there is a distinct similarity in production values. There are some terrific photos within the 204 pages all reproduced really well and as you would expect from Keith Bluemel, the text is informed but entertaining. Its broken down into 8 chapters describing the evolution of the TR up to its ultimate incarnation and in particular the win at Le Mans in 1960. The 59 and 60 seasons are covered in depth, a great deal being centred around chassis number 0774 - the Le Mans winner. Theres sidebars on the drivers who piloted the car and the circuits it competed on along with in-depth studies of the car’s main opposition. The final chapter is about 0774’s life after Le Mans and its time in private hands. To round it off there’s also a salon of Michael Furmann studio shots and various appendices including a reproduction of the cars factory build sheet.

gpiro, of2worlds, stevewak and 2 others like this.
  4. Zeltweg

Zeltweg Karting

Apr 8, 2021
    Sounds like an instant classic to me.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Just arrived! This is my best man's present for my birthday. I was after that for a couple of years.

I'm so excited to read it!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

456-boy, of2worlds, jm2 and 3 others like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Also exists in a leather bound Schedoni version.

Marcel Massini

Rosey and NürScud like this.
  7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh i didn't know that. Must look very elegant with the leather bound Schedoni version.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    +1
    Learn something new every day.

NürScud likes this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Great new book about Swiss race driver Herbert Müller.
    Tons of nice period Ferrari photos.
    384 pages in total.
    McKlein Publishing.
    ISBN 978-3-947156-33-7.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud, F1tommy, joejackson and 7 others like this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    NürScud, ferry430, -CD- and 7 others like this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    ivo73 and of2worlds like this.
  12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
  13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    My copy arrived a few moments ago, so only had a chance for a very quick flick through but I'm well pleased with it.

of2worlds, Zeltweg, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    All good to know. I ordered a copy this morning.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    how ironic as #50 of TOFM just arrived on the doorstep an hour ago. Thank you for your timely updates on the latest issues!
    Ferrari part number for #51?

375+ likes this.
  17. joejackson

joejackson Karting

Aug 18, 2006
    Muenster/Germany
    Full Name:
    Gert S
    I received my copy yesterday. It looks amazing!

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I looked at the web site a year or so ago and decided the book didn’t appeal to me too much. I don’t recall exactly why...I think it was a bit too “high concept” for me. Nathan would certainly be a more credible authority than I when it comes to accuracy and authenticity.

ivo73 and jm2 like this.
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Thanks!
    Too many books.

Rosey likes this.
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    and yet if you look on Nathan's web site the quality books on post cards and on early Ferrari literature for example are all sold out. Seems strange to only print 25 copies of a book! Keep the press running for more copies!!!
    Seems like a license to 'print money'...

Rosey likes this.
  22. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I came to the same conclusion at about the same time. Certainly for me, price is a factor. 400 pages but the sample pages show there isn't that much text on each page. Then there's the indication that quite a lot of the content may be about "geopolitical and socio economic events". Certainly it looks like a nice object but that isn't why I buy books. If I had the opportunity to browse a copy before purchase I might come to a different conclusion - or if it were half the price!

I'm guessing you're not a publisher! Anyway, there aren't only 25 copies. There are different editions, some more limited than others. I imagine publishers make a judgement on how many copies they think they can sell whilst considering their costs and the price they need to sell them at to make a profit. Then part of the incentive to buy a limited edition is the limited number.

joejackson, gt4me, Lusso123 and 3 others like this.
  23. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    I have another title by the same author: Metal Memory. It’s a book unlike any other, and may not generally appeal. It is very well, custom made, and is written as were it a novel. An acquired taste, but not a bad one.

24. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    I have both books, and bought the Observations book because I enjoyed Metal Memory. I agree with bloomberg's assessment. I found the juxtaposition of the geopolitical and socioeconomic backdrop with the business and personalities involved provides useful context for explaining what happened. To me it's an interesting change of pace from books devoted to critiques of car designs, or recitations of specifications or racing history. However my criticism is that some parts are written in an almost conversational tone with some subjective comments - when coupled with a lack of citations or a bibliography, it causes me to wonder how much of the backdrop is researched versus folklore versus personal opinion. With that said, I'm glad I have the book.

I bought Metal Memory based on positive comments about it I believe were previously posted in this thread. It was one of the first Ferrari books I purchased that focused on 1 particular chassis, and really opened my eyes into how much research might be undertaken to uncover the history of a car. The production values are superb.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

bloomberg, of2worlds and Zeltweg like this.
  25. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #3625 Llenroc, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    I bought a copy of The Kings Eye last fall. I like history and Scott mixes in world history of the books time period with Ferrari’s history.
    Very well done book in the artistic sense, ie; beautiful paper, photos, cover in leather. The only complaint I have is there are several grammatical errors, lack proper editing, his other book Metal Memory was fine in that regard. With that said it was a fun read for me at least. Scott contacted me over the winter for an opinion on the book and I pretty much relayed the same to him as said above. Overall great book, If you are interested in how world history effected Ferrari then you will find it to be very interesting. Also all the technical drawings of the engines that are in the book were done by Scott.

of2worlds likes this.