430 - Engine Bay Panel Bolts - Titanium | FerrariChat

430 Engine Bay Panel Bolts - Titanium

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tackleberry, Jun 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Firstly I will point out I have no affiliation with this shop, just a happy customer spreading the news for an excellent product.

I have no doubt, like myself, many of you are fed up with the stock bolts the secure the Engine Bay Panels on the F430.
    While the genuine items are stainless steel and don't corrode, the fact they are made from SS means they have the integrity of cheese and are easily rounded off either by accident or passage of time.

Finding a good quality "low profile" replacement has always been a bit tricky as while you can get the 20 & 30mm lengths, the 50mm ones are not so easy to come by, especially if you want them all the same.

Yes you can probably find regular head Cap Bolts, but the heads on these are bit on the large side.

So I was chuffed to nuts when I finally got my hands on what I consider to be the perfect Bolt.

I've been buying Titanium Bolts and Fixings from RaceTi for many years, and while he does a certain type of bolt - RaceTi PRO - in a couple of sizes he didn't do them in M5.

So the other day I asked him "can you". His reply was yes, I've been looking at doing that size for a while and in the process of having them made. What sizes did I want ?

When I said 50mm he said he doesn't get a lot of call for that length, but as they are being machined he'll get a batch made.

Anyway, a few of days ago I get an e-mail to say they are ready. A day later they arrived in the post !

Like all his Bolts they are superb quality. Specs as follows:

RaceTi Pro
    Flanged Torx Head -T25
    Grade 5
    Hard Black Ceramic Coating
    Rolled Threads

Sizes required for F430 Coupe:

M5 x 20mm x18
    M5 x 30mm x2
    M5 x 50mm x4

They aren't listed on his site yet as they are so new, but you can drop Rauf an e-mail and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

raceTi | Performance parts

Fresh out the packet !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kevin Rev'n, Need4Spd and armedferret like this.
  2. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I have a few panel screws missing too! Are all the 24 screws for the panels?

3. Tackleberry

Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    All 24 are to do all four panels.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Cost ?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

5. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Love that your using not ferrari parts. I switched out alot with titanium. Its definitely the way to go.

6. Tackleberry

Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Apologies, they come to about £50 (+ shipping to wherever)

flash32 likes this.
  7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thanks..

Do you have a pic of old one for side to side compare

8. Tackleberry

Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Yes, I'll dig some out and do a side by side for you.

Manda racing and flash32 like this.
  9. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Just sent an email to order a set. Thanks so much for doing the footwork on this.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Tackleberry likes this.
  10. Tackleberry

Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    You're welcome ;)

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The advantage of titanium is that it is almost as strong as good steel, lighter in weight, and more heat resistant than aluminum. Costs a lot more than either. Fail to see why replacing good SS bolts with titanium ones is an advantage unless you are rich and really, really concerned about weight.

Rifledriver likes this.
  12. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Looks cool and being a perfectionist its all about the attention to detail

RANDY6005 likes this.
  13. Tackleberry

Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    flash32 likes this.
  14. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My stock stainless ones are kinda stripped out and they are difficult to get the Allen wrench to stay in.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Very good lead ! I was looking for the black coated TI for my carbon CS door panels look on there sight did not see any black for sale ?

Tackleberry likes this.
  16. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    clean512 likes this.
  17. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Tackleberry likes this.
  18. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Fully insert the Allen key, or bit, by tapping it in with a hammer. If totally stripped out, hammer in a star bit, remove it, and order replacements. If the Allen bit or key is fully inserted, the screws should not strip out. But, very easy to just partially insert the key. Installing titanium replacements seems way over the top. Just keep spares on hand or better yet, insert the tool properly, to begin with.

19. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    When you look at the cost of the titanium bolts compared to the Ferrari OEMs and consider the increased durability, they make a lot of sense.

20. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Neat project. FWIW, black stainless fasteners are available from several UK suppliers at a price far lower than Ferrari that match OEM. After all, Ferrari bought them from suppliers. They did not make them.

21. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Those stupid hex head bolts. I don’t know what alloy they used, I still say it’s made from recycled amalgam silver fillings and aluminum foil. I hate those.

Love your progress, you are inspirational.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LorenzoR likes this.
  22. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    This is super cool! However, there is something fundamentally wrong here.

1.64 lbf = 26.24 oz. density of steel = 7.85g/cm^3, density of titanium = 4.5g/cm^3, ratio = 1.74.

26.24oz steel = 15oz titanium. You simply can't get to 7.4oz of titanium without reducing the volume of material by 50%.

As the scale shows 11.4oz steel and 4.4oz titanium. I think this is the more accurate comparison since the heads appear to be hollowed out on the titanium. However, that is still an incredible reduction, since one would expect 6.5oz. 33% less than the expected value would make me wonder/worry about equivalent strength.

There might be a lot more to be told, but it seems too good to be true. I would take another look to be sure it's all that you think it is and it's safe.

What you are doing is totally awesome and I would love to see your car someday!

23. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I'm about to place this order. But I hate it when the shipping is as much as the bolts.

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Titanium is not as durable as SS. If you don't like SS you really will not like titanium.

Besides there are many low cost sources for black stainless flanged button head allens or torx and if a good socket is used they will not strip the head out.

Atlantic likes this.
  25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As for engine mount or trans mount bolts. There is a very big strength factor difference. They are not interchangeable materials.