Ferrari Announcing New Sports Car | FerrariChat

Ferrari Announcing New Sports Car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I feel less excited than I once did, new Ferrari's were an occasion, now one seemingly has to wait mere months for the next one to arrive.

rocketman, HotShoe, tbakowsky and 4 others like this.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Not all announcements are the same. This has the potential to be very exciting.

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    A friend sent me an article about a prototype being spotted and the title said V6 hybrid. My guess is this is it.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Texas Forever likes this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I guess its to be expected, F1 s little brother to be exact, little brother in HP for sure. I wonder what the output will spec out to be . I would not be surprised if it had a rear wing that was active , kind of like some Porsches are, thats would be cool for sure . Im not big on Hybrids, with that being said, I think its cool that Ferrari is building a car that coincides with their Formula 1 effort, at least I think thats the idea, what say you ? Thinking back , Ferraris V10 F1 car, never sprouted a V 10 road car. I wonder why that was ?

Thank you

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That’s just not exciting IMO….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnMH, timjen88 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I've said it so many times before already, due to new laws we will all be forced to massively downsize.
    V12 are becoming V8 (see SF90), V8 will becoming V6 (the new little car coming next week), etc. etc.

If you don't believe it, get used to it. There's no alternative, unfortunately.
    Even the legendary Mercedes V8 will be downsized and become a horrible 4-cyl biturbo.
    A shame.

Marcel Massini

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I understand why people get all upset about changing times, but as far as I’m concerned, if they look amazing and push the performance boundaries, than it’s all good. The world evolves. I prefer to love things of the past but also embrace technologies of today and tomorrow.

Bullfighter, Boomhauer, VAF84 and 2 others like this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Exactly. I mean, I love steam-powered cars. The smell, mystique, and theater of it all. I'm sure there were is 'steam' enthusiasts that lamented ICE winning that A/B.

One simply has to ask the honest question, what technology is cheaper and faster today?

Enzo himself would choose electric as Pierro himself said before hybrids were in vogue.

I get some prefer Ferrari to stick in the past, focus on handbags.

I'm not one of them,

Boomhauer and Dom like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The last new Ferrari that got me excited was the 458. Everything after that is divertive.

Frankly, it is hard to beat a new Porsche GT4. A thinly disguised race car for the street. 400 hp is all you need, for $120,000.

Amazing.

Mechanical Dad, Makuono, Duuc and 8 others like this.
  12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #13 Rossocorsa1, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    So, a LaFerrari or an SF90 isn’t exciting?

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    One of the two is definitely not. At least for me.

Marcel Massini

14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    The point is, Ferrari and the rest, are being forced to go a certain direction not by MARKET forces, but by REGULATORY forces. That distinction makes all the difference to me. If not for emissions, noise restrictions, and the omnipotent Green lobby, the next decade of cars would look radically different. I’m sorry, but the steam engine analogy falls completely flat.

To be clear, the manufacturers would NOT be racing to add 300lbs of lard in the form of batteries for 100hp, not when they could easily add 200hp by merely adding some displacement and turning up the boost while virtually eliminating any meaningful weight gain. The alternate automotive universe of where we would be going if not for the strong arm of government is what myself, and others, are lamenting. We’re disappointed. It didn’t have to be this way. What is happening is not a natural progression, but a forced capitulation.

Ivan Drago, Makuono, GregM and 11 others like this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The problem for me is that they don't look amazing, nothing against new technologies if they actually really work well and are fully developed and not a constant hassle....

My 2 cents.
    Marcel Massini

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Very very very well said.
    A tragedy and actually a crime.

Marcel Massini

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Well, I concede, I have not seen an SF90 in person yet, but I wouldn’t define a LaFerrari as not exciting.

Believe me, I love Ferrari’s of the past. All my cars are at least 22 years old. They are much more thrilling. But, I also think the modern cars are pretty remarkable. I suppose much of this is subjective.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Can’t argue with this.

Thecadster and ginoBBi512 like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

SF90 isn’t. And that naming is poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH likes this.
  20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    One thing that is interesting - how enthusiasts from different generations interpret things. I’m 52 (I’m guessing many on here are roughly my age). When I was in middle school, high school and college, I was obsessed with the contemporary supercars of that era (Countach, 288, F40, 328, etc.). These are still the cars that excite me the most. Frankly, I don’t even recall having much of an appreciation for the great Ferrari’s of the 60’s at the time, though I have since become a big fan. Ask a teen car enthusiast today, and they likely get excited about SF90’s, F8’s, Aventador’s, etc. So, what my not inspire you, likely is the fantasy of a younger generation for different reasons. That’s generally how it works.

21. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Most new super cars, like Lamboghinis, Mclarens, etc.., look like cartoon cars. Its getting harder to ID the different models.

Thomas Magnum and Jack-the-lad like this.
  22. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Meh, this has been happening since at least the 1970’s. My 308 GT4 came with that monstrous thermal reactor exhaust, the huge ass bumpers, etc. And let’s not forget the 80’s and the fuel injection on the 2v 308’s. And so on.

What is impressive is that in spite of those regulations (and in some cases, because of), cars today have become better, faster, more reliable. Life is about compromise, always has been.

HotRodDan and Boomhauer like this.
  23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the rush to battery power is actually destroying the earth. HUGE earth movers are pumping out tons of pollution/carbon while carving gigantic holes(mines) in the ground for the batteries minerals.
    an electric car and hybrid requires more energy to produce and more pollutants in the atmosphere.
    its all a feel good exercise with no significant value considering some ICE’s are zero emissions.

24. Ro55ss

Ro55ss Rookie

Nov 18, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ross Drake
    It’s interesting that everyone is talking about the new car announcement as a whole new model replacing the F8. Could be, but it also could be the F8 ‘competitione’ or track focussed version. It fits with the timing and evolution of previous cars.

It maybe that this version has some hybrid boost as well, as previous ‘track’ focussed cars have had upgraded elements that carried through to the next generation model.

I’m also interested in the comments about the SF90, I saw half a dozen of them at a recent owners club day and thought they looked great. But it also got me thinking, who is buying an F8 when you can have an SF90 for a bit more. I wonder how many F8 orders have been switched to SF90s and will this become the baby mid engine platform.

For a final thought, what about a La Ferrari replacement, surely there is something in the pipeline. For inspiration have a look at the Rimac Nevera, all electric and 2000 bhp. Rimac are keen to license their technology and their design is deliberately conservative, so perhaps a fully electric La Ferrari replacement……now that would be controversial

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app