CIS vs. D-Jetronic and L-Jetronic | FerrariChat

CIS vs. D-Jetronic and L-Jetronic

Discussion in '308/328' started by [email protected], Jun 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    #1 [email protected], Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    This is a forum for discussion, the interchange of observations and ideas in a friendly setting. I do not wish to disparage the engineers or managers at Ferrari, but ever since I bought a used (very used) Ferrari 308 GTSi ten years ago, I have been amazed at what a pain in the ass the CIS system is, and have mused frequently about how someone in a position of authority in a automobile company could specify such a clunky thing.

A few years later I bought a derelict 1972 Volvo for $500, and it was faded and rusty but complete. That car had the Bosch D-Jetronic (used from 1967 to 1979) analog EFI system, an analog controller under the dash, a fuel pump and pressure regulator, four electronic injectors, a stepped potentiometer-type throttle position sensor on the butterfly, a vacuum sensor on the intake, more primitive versions of all the same stuff you'd find on any typical digital EFI system today. I can't vouch for how well it worked back in the 70's, but I’d imagine it ran well enough when it was new. My mom drove a Volvo 145 wagon when I was a kid, but it had Stromberg Zenith carbs, not EFI, go figure.

Actually the only thing about these ancient Bosch EFI systems that is significantly different than today's systems is the computer. Back in the 1960’s there were no computer chips available on the open market that were suitable for such a task. Back then only NASA and military programs had access to those types of computer chips. So Bosch designed their own analog computer boards, It was many years before the semiconductor industry started rolling out the digital computer chips to the commercial market. An analog computer is still a computer; it just does not have the D/A converters and CPU chips.

So what I cannot figure out is why Ferrari would select CIS when Bosch analog EFI systems were available all the way back to 1967. D-jet or L-jet certainly would have worked nicely on the 308, and I would think Bosch would have catered to Ferrari in tailoring an analog electronic system to the 308 rather than CIS.

There are many criticisms that can be levied on the CIS system; issues that don’t even exist in the D-jet or L-jet systems. The K-jet CIS system is so primitive it’s like technology from the 1930's. It's clever but that's all. The entire system is a mechanical analog system. Not that anything is wrong with mechanical analog systems, but they don’t work when the get corroded, and they are very expensive to repair. As the components age and fail, they have to be replaced, and the old ones go back to get “rebuilt” and who knows if they even know how to rebuild them any more? A later analog system, L-Jetronic (1974–1989) is also described, and was used in millions of cars in the 70’s and 80’s, so why not the 308?

There are some criticisms of D-jet, mainly the cost of the analog computer, and the vacuum sensor, but otherwise it does not seem like an expensive system. Other than the electronics in the box, and its fat wiring harness, it is a simple system. And no one part is hard to get or expensive except that dang analog computer. Rebuttal: Rock Auto, $243, Rebuilt 1973 Volvo 4 cylinder ECM (not that expensive for a classic car restoration). A rebuilt fuel distributor for a V8 CIS is over $800. If you read about L-Jet and D-jet, you will see that both have good points and bad points, but I think both are superior to CIS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetronic

You would think that by 1982 Ferrari would know that everything they build is collectable and so should be built somewhat concerned about the long term drivability of their cars 40 or 50 years down the road. Ferraris are not like Vegas or a K-cars, they are for fun and collecting, not for commuting.

Disclaimer: I am an engineer and trained to get the most power for least about of money on everything I work on. I am now converting the 308 to Holley Commander EFI and so far it's working. The Digiplex also deserves a similar treatment but that's another post for another day.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I do think K-Jet without Lambda having absolutely no electronics is an amazing, and clever, achievement (and was a cost saver then). What about high RPM operation? The Probst book seems to put a limit of ~6K RPM on the pulsed systems. Not saying that an analog pulsed system couldn't be designed for higher RPM operation, but, if one wasn't available then from another application, maybe the non-recurring engineering cost that Bosch would've wanted to develop one was just too much to justify for a low-volume application -- just a thought...

QV308 likes this.
  3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    K-jet has one plus above the others, it will run without an ECU. In it's simplest form being a hydrolic system it doesn't need an ECU to function. So limp home mode is dang close to normal operation. Was that the selling point to ferrari? No idea. But I don't think ferrari had much say in it. They are a botique builder of very low numbers, going to Bosch they are in need of a fuel system that meets emissions and one they can afford. More then likely given Mercedes volume production and that of Porsche both using k-jet... It was the cost effective option.

70's into the early 90's ferrari shared allot of parts with other mfg's... Cost is why and makes a lot of sense. Could have been worse... Could have been Lucas!:eek:

kiwiokie and QV308 like this.
  4. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #4 QV308, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    K-Jet CIS (and subsequently KE) was a perfectly good system for its time if correctly maintained. Multi million Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, VW, Volvo etc models over a relatively long production period can attest to this. Deferred or poor maintenance and lack of use doesn't do it any favours, but IMO it's unfairly maligned.

Bosch is a system developer. Ferrari in the late 70's were never going to bankroll a bespoke EFI system development on such limited production volume. As the previous posters had mentioned, K-Jet was a cost effective solution that would meet the emission / consumption requirements. D-Jet was already at the end of its development by this time and (I suspect) L-Jet was significantly more expensive.

Re. K-Jet replacement partx /rebuilding, in EU Bosch Automotive Tradition has put effort into ensuring fuel distributor metering units and warm up regulators can be officially refurbished in Nuremberg (and you have CIS FlowTech in US), and many K-Jet items such as fuel pumps, fuel accumulators, injectors are all still in production (in-house) at Bosch.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have either owned or still own (36 years now with one) 6 cars with K jet.

I have never had a single problem with the CIS on any of them at any time. Ever.

Am I the exception?

QV308 likes this.
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am kind of surprised at the OP as well (sorry to hear it has given them so much trouble). I have previously heard only good things about K-jet.

For my car, there are no records of CIS problems in the Service Records and no problems in my 8 years of ownership. Its been “set and forget” and passes California SMOG. I have open loop K-jet (‘83 QV).

Don’t forget Rolls Royce.

QV308 and Dr Tommy Cosgrove like this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My L jet has never acted up on my Alfa either.

25 years now.

QV308 likes this.
  8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Their lack of complexity is their secret sauce.

mwr4440 likes this.
  9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Plain Jane k-jet is reliable. K-jet E .... More complexity brings more fussy issues.

EFI is just as reliable as k-jet and easier to work with.

Modern fuel with ethanol causes issues for k-jet. The issue is ethanol fuel does not share the same specific gravity or energy density as pure gasoline. The system is based on airflow pressures and density for pure gasoline, so ethanol fuel is not going to have the right ratio.

All stuff wears out and breaks down. I don't think k-jet is honestly any better then EFI in that regard. Both have injectors that fail, seals, filters etc..

For myself, EFI is simply the superior system though.

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "You would think that by 1982 Ferrari would know that everything they build is collectable and so should be built somewhat concerned about the long term drivability of their cars 40 or 50 years down the road. Ferraris are not like Vegas or a K-cars, they are for fun and collecting, not for commuting."

Remember, at that time, Ferrari sold road cars to finance their race program. Enzo Ferrari stated that on several occasions, making clear his personal lack of interest in them. So there wasn't any concern about the drivability in 40 or 50 years...or, based on their warranty, much more than 40-50 weeks! ;)

11. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    again, my situation is that the Ferrari is a rust bucket, was left out in the rain in Florida for an unknown number of years, and the K-Jet sat out in the rain too, and was very corroded by the time I got it. And it was canibalized.

I am sure that if you bought a car new in 1980 with K-Jet and always kept it properly garaged (70 deg F, 50% humidity), changed the air filter and fuel filter regularly (no one I know changes the fuel filter until after the car stops running) and so on, it would still run fine now. But, real life has a way of interfering with plans sometimes,

12. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think from the standpoint of Ferrari, or any manufacturer in 1980, the choice of a purely mechanical FI system was based on proven reliability. This stuff was not new, it had basically been around for 50 years and to this day most piston driven general aviation aircraft use the same basic type of constant, mechanically controlled injection due to it's reliability. In the automotive world much of this is driven by emissions standards. Even a crude carbureted Chevy small block runs clean at a constant cruise, it's only during cold starts or dropped throttle deceleration or enriched full throttle acceleration or hard cornering when the float level is upset that they get dirty so all the fancy electronics take care of all that.

But in regards to planned, or unplanned obsolescence I think it's the CPU's and other electronics that endanger us the most and this may become more evident as time marches on.

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yet even in 2021, I'm working on modern, mass-produced cars with direct injection that are so poorly designed that they need the throttle cleaned with a media blast before they've reached their 4th birthday.

IE - don't be too harsh to judge the decisions Ferrari made, especially given than so many of them are still running well (as-designed) 40 yrs later.

14. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Andy,
    Going back your original post, I think if the K-Jet system is worn out and missing parts, you may as well upgrade to something more modern. The cost would probably be the same considering how inexpensive EFI parts are now days and that even though lots of 70's-80's cars had K-Jet systems, they are all tailored to the application (so cross matching parts is not that easy and either is finding some of these parts). How are going to fit the Holley system though? You will need a new custom intake manifold as the Holley is 4bbl throttle body! Quite a few people on the forum who have gone down this road have modified the OEM Ferrari intake to take electronic injectors and a modern throttle body. They are the two biggest hurdles - once overcome the rest is pretty straight forward. Choose your aftermarket ECU, some sensor wiring and a dyno tune!

15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Or a manifold that holds a pair of them....a tunnel ram with dual quads would looks kind of cool...wrong of course, but kind of cool.

The mounting is the issue though....is it going up on top of the engine? I don't think there is room for that and a workable plenum on top of the stock TUNED length runners? So cut the runners or cut the hood.....just doesn't seems like a very easy to install option unless cutting the hood is the plan.