308 injection to carbs or EFI? | FerrariChat

308 injection to carbs or EFI?

Discussion in '308/328' started by r-mm, Jun 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    Hi all

Is there a common path people take to bring a de-tuned (perhaps that's not the right word?) GTBi or GTSi back up the power specs of the carbs cars or surpassing it with EFI? In the Porsche world people use PMO carbs or one of various standalone ECUs to achieve this on mid year 911s and modified turbos. The early 80's cars are attractive for being galvanized and often sold at lower prices than the early ones but the power seems a bummer. I'm not trying to make the car into something its not and I am well aware that all old cars are not impressive by modern standards. Just curios if there is a relatively straight path to wake one of the early CIS cars up/

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Why would you go backwards and put Victorian era technology on the car? Carbs were terrible at best. EFI is a huge part of why modern cars are making horsepower never dreamed of when cars had carburetors. Leave those for museum displays where they belong.

And there was just another thread on the same subject. CIS did not slow the cars down. The low compression, lawn mower cams and lack of ignition advance did. No fuel injection will cure that.

Albert-LP and tbakowsky like this.
  3. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    I get all that. The reason in this case would be that the carburated cars made more power and are said to be more eager. Putting carbs on a car which had them the year before would certainly seem easier, less expensive and more original than building a standalone EFI. The later has all the benefits you noted. It's not black and white is it.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

It really is. Reread my post.

5. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    Brian that's a little gruff don't you think? There are so many reasons we do things to cars I would never endeavor to tell someone that originality or value or outright speed or miles per gallon are the sine qua non. Seems unfriendly to me.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Brian's point is that just changing the CIS on a 308i-2V to carbs or EFI would do very little to increase the power output -- carbs would be about a wash, and EFI would only add a few HP. To take advantage of going to carbs or EFI would require changing the cams to be much more aggressive with far more overlap (so big $s needed). Then, once you've done that, keeping the low compression ratio doesn't make much sense (so more big $s for that). Do agree that everyone should do as they please, but the best way to "wake-up" a 308i-2V is to sell it and buy a 308QV or maybe a 355 ;) (I do like seeing 355 powerplants installed in a 308, but that's not cheap either.)

eskamobob1 likes this.
  7. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    Point very well taken. My experience from the Alfa world is that induction, cams, cam timing and ignition advance go a long way to turning a US / DOT motor into a ROW or ROW+ motor. I need to read up on whether or not the pistons, combustion chamber or valve sizes were different from the early to the CIS cars. My goal would not be to increase power past ROW ~240hp, it would be to bring it back there while refreshing components as I go.

I surely note your point on the cheaper way being to buy a later car but I'm in this for looks, style and feel as much as power. Its a project I've long contemplated and as I round a corner with my Alfa my mind naturally wonders to next projects...

The QV is certainly in the running.

8. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I'm a mid-year 911 guy too, and for those cars it seems the biggest benefit to ditching the CIS or even the EFI and going to a carb setup is throttle response. It makes the car feel more peppy. I don't think the 308/328 needs more HP, it just needs more zip. Carbs may do that and sound better to boot. :D

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you say so. Read into it whatever appeals to you.

We'reAllF'd likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    To pass the smog laws in that period the cams were drastically changed. That was done while carbs were still in use so there is a very big difference between late and early US carbed cars. The ignition used on CIS cars in the USA had very timid advance curves. Ferrari was always very timid about compression ratios until really the 355 except on the race cars. After modifying many the V8s really respond to big changes in compression. Heads on all the 2v v8s are the same.

I admit it. I grew up doing 6 carb motors and do it very well but does not change my antipathy for them They had no place on the automobile since the late 50s when we had workable gasoline fuel injection in all of the industrial nations. At their very best they do a mediocre job. Since the late 50s even the only race cars using carbs are due to the rules.

11. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    I am basically with you - I went to great lengths to restore and tune the - excellent for its day - SPICA MFI on my Alfa Romeo. I will never go to carbs on that car and don't understand people who do. I've owned very few carburated vehicles in my life but love a good MFI/EFI motor, feel Motronic is a bit of a golden age for the later and have liked it on many cars I've owned (E30, Carrera 3.2, 964, etc). The early 80's are a bit of a blind spot for me, I've never loved working on CIS so it leaves two avenues open...

12. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    We are of the same habit of mind. When I rebuilt the motor in my E30 the only 'mod' was a lightened flywheel and remapped ECU to suit. I really liked the character of the M20 and wanted only to make it a big lighter on its toes. With those cars everyone yells at you to swap an S50/S52 in but I like the 'peppier original' look and feel.

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Here's solid feedback data, 2V engine. Piston change to 10.5:1 CR, mild cam change and EFI nets a ~30/30 hp/tq increase. Done that one a couple times. Increase is in the bottom/mid range. Improves acceleration from a stop and around town driving. The downside is cost, the parts are just about $10k.. the balance point is that sure you could get very aggressive on CR11:1, wild cams for the same price point.. But now it's no longer street friendly and it's aggressive enough to now be in need of a clutch upgrade... More $$$.

I'm not against any of that, I rather enjoy finding new ways to make more power out of these engines. But for each option there is a trade-off. As long as people go into it with eyes open and aware of that then there should be no surprises.

328 is a great option for more civility and power for those looking for a simple upgrade. Highly recommend that. For those who prefer the look of the 308 and or want updated power etc... Just be aware that there is no inexpensive way to do it. Really wish ferrari had used L or D jet instead of K.. would have made the EFI upgrade a 1000 times easier.

14. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks SMG, very useful data. What induction are you using on the motor builds you mention? 4 Carbs, CIS, aftermarket EFI?

15. Andretti Molletti

Andretti Molletti Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    Hi, I'm really interested in converting my 308 to EFI.
    Did some cars before (lotus/Alfa Romeo) and the system has nog secrets to me.
    If I look at my 308 QV (USA specs) then y=the biggest problem would be the placing of the injectors near the throttle body, especially the fuel rail.
    There is already a mounting for the throttle position sensor and the TDC sensor should be made with a bracket on the distribution cap. 60-2 toothed ring on the crankshaft pulley and then the biggest part is done.
    Things as MAP, air intake temp etc aren't that difficult, even the Idle regulator will not be that difficult (instead of the original air regulator).
    Ignition maps are in the Ferrari manual and with the wide band lambda sensor fuel maps are quiet easy.

So is there any body who has made a nice fuel rail and injector placement and are there any pictures?

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I've built 5 or 6 or these over the years...its neat buy not reversible.

For crank pickup I added 33 pins to the back of the flywheel on a couple to make it a 36-1 and use 1 of the original picks. Again neat but this is sort for reversible as the pins can be removed I guess.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Andretti Molletti likes this.
  17. Andretti Molletti

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    Nice! You putted the injectors as deep as possible.. didn't think about that option !
    If I do so I ant it to be reversable... so this winter I will have a better look on "how"

This is what a friend of me made:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes, as low as possible and you need to use the short pico style injectors. I set them up with about 1/2mm below the o-ring in the manifold and about the same above it in the rail. It just fits, I cut a little off the top of the rail to clear the throttle linkage or you could add a little spacer between the plenum and manifold. I forget which TPS that is...GM I think? but its been a while, but works with the TB shaft as is, I just add a couple mounting bosses to screw it onto the TB.

Many people use a in front of the balancer, its a fine setup. I pin the flywheel because its neater not better.

19. Andretti Molletti

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    Thanks!!
    it certainly is! But it means engine out?? I will sort out the part of the fuel rail... will be winter... or if I got that damned CIS not working properly :p

20. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Change your ignition curve.
    This is the curve for my '79 368 GTS. Yes, its bigger than yours and has higher compression, but the curve should work well on your car.
    You will probably have to get diff ign control box, and maybe mod your dizzy, i don't know squat about the CIS cars.

Doug

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Andretti Molletti

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    I would defintly run a wideband to monitor the mixture and even a knocksensor to see whats happening... its an expensive engine ! ;)

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    No need to pull the engine to pull the flywheel.

Timing wise QV like a little less than the 2v....32 maybe 33 should do it but the dyno will tell you, other than that the curve I used look pretty much the same as Doug's for WOT.....more timing at partial throttle.

23. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    That does not surprise me one bit.

On the same (large CI) small block Chev motor, changing the heads to better breathing/flowing head necessitated the timing be backed off about 4 degrees. Dyno time isn't cheap, but it sure helps you dial things in. Note that one must retard the timing about 2 degrees from what the dyno says gives the most power, for street use.
    Doug

24. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    here's some ignition curves, the QV/328 is right from the WSM.. the 308 is the baseline map I came up with on the dyno, it's a very good starting point that only requires on-road tweaking due to shift/load points between 3rd and 5th for cruising matching up. ideally a 3rd or 4th map that took into account gears would be best, but not a cost effective option. all my other maps are build and dyno specific.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    aftermarket EFI, Link is my go-to normally for the ECU, the rest of the parts are custom fabricated.