308 window motor repair | FerrariChat

308 window motor repair

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Glassman, Jun 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I jumped into this a couple eof days ago. I have read all available threads regarding removel and re-install. I knew this would be a tough one and now know many things not to do. One thing never covered in detail is how to properly rewind the cable onto the spool. Anyone able to help? Birdmans tutorial indicates that you should just fill all the grooves winding in one direction only. Is that correct? I wound both ends of the cable originally and found my cable too short to get over the last plastic wheel. I'm thinking if you just load a couple of turns on the spindle, then install and operate the thing a few times without attaching the glass it will wind itself. Am I nuts??????

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I had a diagram of this but I am unable to locate it. (Go figure). It’s been quite a number of years but when I did it, I believe it called for five wraps around the spool then you put a piece of tape over it and installed and then picked up all the other little pulleys. Once you had everything set in place then you removed the tape holding the cable on the spool I vividly remember not being able to get the last pulley with five wraps on the spool. I finally made it 4 wraps and installed. Everything worked fine then. Hope that helps

waymar likes this.
  3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I won the battle today............it is four wraps with one end of the cable only. I was about a half inch from getting over the lower rear pully. Later after thinking about it I realized that once I cut the Zip Tie I would have the needed slack. Window works great. That green goop from the factory is bad news.

miketuason, waymar and 308 milano like this.
  4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wish you have taken a video of your work as I need to do the same thing to my window but I’m afraid I may not be able to wind the cable back the way it’s supposed to.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I doesn't matter as long as you wind only one end of the cable onto the spool and leave the other as slack. Four times around then cable tie it to the spool housing. I left the top cable long so I could wind the cable around the most pulleys. When you get to the tensioner, use a spring clamp to hold the cable tight against the window frame close to the lower pully and cut the cable tie. That will give you enough slack to get around the lower pully. Then run the switch a few times up and down and it will load its self correctly. My window is so fast now I will need to do the drivers side to match. First time 8 hours...........second time 4..........start to finish.

miketuason likes this.
  6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will definitely save your note/instruction for when I do my window soon, thank you very much!

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I remember doing this on my old Fiat Dino 2400 GT. Quite a bit of trial and error, so nice it has been documented for the 308.

8. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Here is a picture of the winding. Pay attention as to where the cable leaves the spool in relation to the posts securing the front and back of the motor.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Here is a better picture of the cable routing out of the spool. I leave the top cable long and wind the bottom cable only. That way you can get all the pulleys loaded up to the bottom one just before the tensioner pulley.

Attached Files:

miketuason and 308 milano like this.