550 won’t start | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 won’t start

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Olivier Faure, May 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Olivier Faure

Olivier Faure Rookie

Jul 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Olivier Faure
    Thanks for info. I will check it out and report back this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Dr. Oscar Berube

Aug 10, 2017
    Eckersweiler Germany
    Full Name:
    Oscar Berube

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    And when you pull them out the plastic insulation will disintegrate I'll bet. :(

4. Dr. Oscar Berube

Aug 10, 2017
    Eckersweiler Germany
    Full Name:
    Oscar Berube
    Oliver- I think you may have a fuel pump problem. Have a fire extinguisher handy and spray a little starting fluid into the intake of the air filter then try to start. If the engine catches or tries to start and coughs a few times and quits right away--you are not getting fuel from both of your fuel pumps--they are probably completely plugged by breakdown of a rubbery coating on the fuel pumps which over time deteriorates due to the alcohol in the fuel . The fact that you almost ran out of fuel means that the low level of fuel in the tank may have led to the aspiration of the sediment into your fuel pumps. Answer me and I can relate how I fixed this in my garage without going to an authorized dealer.

5. Olivier Faure

Olivier Faure Rookie

Jul 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Olivier Faure
    Hi Everyone,
    I ended up bringing the car to the Ferrari dealer. They confirmed that they was no ignition. They then checked immobiliser, ECU, fuse box, crank sensor… after removing the cover on the driver side, the car started normally. They then realized that one or few wires had been damaged by the speaker inside the cover, probably when I put the driver side cover back in place. I attach a picture that shows the purple wire that was damaged after the repair. It was probably in direct contact with the metal part of the speaker. I will try to get the pic taken by the technician before repair and post it to the group.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Checking the passenger side they also find a bit of water under the carpet under the seat. I will investigate further to find out if the water came from the under carriage clean or from the damaged gasket already ordered (see pic).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    They also find some rusted connectors on the passenger side so definitely worth checking further.
    The car is now starting normally for few days. Cross-fingers! I can finally enjoy my car again!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

///Mink and Qavion like this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The purple wire carries the voltage for the left bank O2 sensor heaters. Are you saying this was stopping the car starting... or is this something new?

7. Olivier Faure

Olivier Faure Rookie

Jul 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Olivier Faure
    Not something new. I am still commenting on the cold start issue . Ferrari dealer mechanics are saying that it could have been the cause. But they didn’t rule out that there might have been another issue on the passenger side that could also have been the cause (water under the seat and rusted electric connectors. I asked them to send me pics of the wire before repair to make sure that we are talking about the same wire and to check if there wasn’t another wire damaged. Hopefully, I will have more info soon to share.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Qavion likes this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Make sure the AC evaporator drain is not clogged. That will tend to back up water into the passenger side carpets.

F456M likes this.
  9. Olivier Faure

Olivier Faure Rookie

Jul 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Olivier Faure
    Hi All, my cold start issues have just reappeared after few months with not issues. I left my car for few months in an air conditioned parking. During that time, I drove it few times and it would start and drive with no issue. When I took her back 2 weeks ago and packed it outside overnight, the cold start issue reappeared the next day. Note that the temperature was around 38 deg. My car fired after cranking 6 to 10 times. I then tested every day for approximately 12 days to check if I could identify a specific pattern that would get her to start. I tried to identify if it would start after 2 minutes of example or if I needed to press the fob few times to dis-arm the immo, but it wasn’t conclusive. The only thing I can confirm is that, after testing it 12 times, the car would start after 6 to 10 attempts. After starting the car, I could always wait few minutes and re- start the car again without any hesitation or difficulty. So it is definitely a cold start issue where it cranks but it doesn’t fire until I tried at least 6 times.
    I can see the immobiliser disarm which allow cranking and rearm if I don’t try to start the car for 2mins.
    Also I always have the check ok orange light and the abs+asr orange light appear while cranking. When I crank and the car start, it is always almost instantaneous and I have no Abs or asr orange light on the display before or after starting. Also the car drive normally.

Yesterday, I decided to try to turn the battery switch off and launch the on off ignition procedure. Unfortunately, after more than 10 attempt , the car would rank but not start. I tried again today but same thing. I have fuel pressure at the rail.
    I am considering changing the crank sensors although they don’t seem to be damaged and they are 3 yrs old. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thx

10. Olivier Faure

Olivier Faure Rookie

Jul 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Olivier Faure
    Thanks so much Taz for your advice and everybody else for your help. I did contact Gobble and ordered from him a new alarm. When disconnecting the connector of the alarm, i broke a very corroded pin. Ordered a new wire, re-installed the new alarm and bingo, my car is now starting perfectly well and run like a dream!!!

So if you happen to have similar start issue: crank but won’t start/ immo disactivated/ no ignition/ normal fuel pressure at the rail/ red alarm led stay on; it might be worth checking the alarm!

Qavion likes this.
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Olivier- I love a happy ending.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The "start enable" and "engine ECU enable" wires are separate. I wonder if it was the ECU enable wire which was corroded? That might explain why you had cranking, but no firing.

Did you get any pictures of the wire?

13. Olivier Faure

Olivier Faure Rookie

Jul 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Olivier Faure
    Qavion likes this.
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Strange, I still don't understand how that would stop the car starting. The black wire is just an earth wire for the siren.

Red is power from the car's battery. Green/black is the siren enable/disable from the Immobiliser ECU.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    i had 2 550s. Both alarm removed Imobilizers ecu intact. Car starts fine with working immobilizer just no noise.

Ferrari55whoa and Qavion like this.
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ian- Beats me, but have heard it before here.

Qavion likes this.
  17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Considering all the other problems with the car, I think it would be hard to say that the siren was the cause of the fault.

Anyway, I wish Olivier luck