458 - Pothole wheel damage on lip | FerrariChat

458 Pothole wheel damage on lip

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Jun 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Driving today and hit a pothole, made a loud noise. The wheel is fine, not dented, tire is keeping air and is fine, but it gouged the lip of the wheel and looks to be only cosmetic. What are my options to repair it?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Get yourself a few nail files from Sally's beauty supply and go to work. Then some touch up paint.

Duplicolor has a Toyota silver that matched the silver perfectly on my 355 wheels, so well it made curb rash pretty much vanish. If you need the code, I might be able to dig up the exact paint code #

Ray

Ivinsea likes this.
  3. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    You can also call your nearest high end car dealer like Porsche. They have a company that repairs these on their trade-ins. I’ve had this done in the past before trading in a car.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That wheel needs to go to a repair shop. It is bent, 100% sure.

Get a new tyre. You don't get that kind of wheel damage without a "snakebite".

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Viperjoe likes this.
  5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The damage to the rim lip is so minimal that I doubt that the wheel is bent. It just had a chip in the paint!

You can jack up the corner of the car with the wheel damage and manually rotate the tire/wheel to see if there is any radial run-out in the rim lip.
    The tire doesn't even have a scuff mark on it, there is no way that it has any damage, let alone require replacement.

Ivinsea likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    These wheels are pretty soft. They get bent with no visible damage. Suit yourself.

7. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    That’s an easy fix by a mag repair place they can strip the wheel and repaint it.

Here is SA it’s about $200 to fix.

I cannot see if your wheel is diamond cut.

If it is that’s also a easy fix but know you will have to take some of the face of the wheel off with a cutter.

Personally this happened to me and I just had all the wheels redone in a solid color.

Once you cut the face the pattern does change and on for eg the 458 wheels you can get about 2 cuts out it before you notice a big difference in the design. The rounded painted grey inner will go from a nice round end to a point an inch our so down the wheel spoke so to speak so I prefer not to have wheels cut where this can happen.

I agree if you it a pot hole it will get a buckle. Easy to check. Drive at high speed. Say 100mph +. If you feel a vibration you have a buckled wheel or out of round tire.

As far as the tire is concerned. If there is no visible damage internally and externally you are probably ok.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

whatheheck likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A wheel that is out of round does not have to shake. It needs to be measured.

9. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If a wheel has even a moderate dent in the rim lip you will not feel a shake at speed, as the balance of the wheel has not changed. A severely bent rim will show up mostly at slow speeds and diminish with higher speeds.

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    If you are like me that has no experience repairing wheel curb rash and then repaint perfectly to match wheel color I suggest you just take it to a reputable repair shop as Mick / Mafiaboy has suggested.

Here's mine when I hit curb on my front wheel on my California T.
    Before and after photos.

Wheel repaired like nothing happened, perfect color match by a professional wheel repair shop for $200.00. Cheap!
    All done perfectly while I sip coffee.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

evo3 and Thecadster like this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Call Wheels On site, they are in Sterling. They do good work. They can also remove it and ensure it hasn't been bent if you take the car to them.

Thecadster likes this.
  12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    The outside, or front of the wheel barrel is supported by the spokes. You need to look at the back of the wheel, which is NOT supported by the spokes, to see if it is 'flat spotted'.
    I hit a pothole, wheel looked fine from outside, no air lose. Pulled the wheel off and clearly saw a 6" flat spot of rim barrel. ;)

xBox likes this.