Stuck head | FerrariChat

Stuck head

Discussion in '206/246' started by plugzit, Jun 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Dammit dammit dammit
    It's been hanging for weeks. Soaked, chiseled, etc, etc. Have given serious consideration to entering destruction mode. Sawzall, laser, TNT, C4. Gonna have to make a puller. Friggin' metal problem. Anybody already made one who would sell or rent?????

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Does it not budge at all? Usually it is corrosion in the stud hole where coolant has leaked. Possible to weld the head nut to the stud and try to get it to break loose. I would go with all new studs as the originals were not that great. You may be able to double nut the stud but there is not much thread to work with.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Message Rob C (Nuvolari) i seem to recall he made one

Tony

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Unfortunately the one I made was for a 308 and the holes just won't line up.

5. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    For *very* stuck head studs, I take off the nut and washer, soak for a day then TIG weld the nut to the very top of the stud and hit it with an impact wrench on a low-ish setting so as not to break the weld.
    After a few min of the wrench they have always come out.
    See pic for examples.... obviously everything is a throw away afterwards but it gets the job done with minimal fuss.
    Good luck, Andrew

Image Unavailable, Please Login

swift53, GermanDino, MarkT and 3 others like this.
  6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    There is nothing that can’t be fixed with an impact wrench...just as useful as a sledgehammer on a oil rig

best, Peter

dgt likes this.
  7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You could try putting some rope inside the cylinders, alternate 1,2,3 at TDC,
    and keep on putting moderate pressure via the crank bolt / nut, between the tree cylinders without damaging the rods.
    Works on Alfa.

Is the head in the car?

Regards, Alberto