Ferrari Announcing New Sports Car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Announcing New Sports Car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It -is- a new model announcement.

https://www.ferrari.com/fr-FR/auto/new-ferrari-sports-car?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021_FerrariCarLaunchJune&utm_content=COMM1A&idm=9d2fae58f9db3e12d07be7252e6115ed&ids=6944154aa510777a1c78cee4e51f25a3bebbc3103a49e57f5970a3db3efbee9c

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Problem I have with this post is it implies that everything new is better than everything old. Which simply isnt true.

3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I dont know, I do not have any affinity for a 2000 HP electric exotic, if you want to call it exotic , nor , as I stated ad nauseam, would I ever want to see an all electric Ferrari, just because some other factory is building one doesnt mean Ferrari should. I dont think an SF90 is as nearly as nice of a car as an F8, I wonder how soon we will see them in videos wrapped around trees and telephone poles.Hey, why dont we all wait for an all electric 5000 HP car to come out, then I will surely want to buy one of those, good grief, and then , we can all go to the drags at Pomona, and race our electrics side by side with the Funny Cars !!!

Thank you,

Thecadster and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Not for me. I like to drive sport cars on the back roads of this great land. 400 hp, mid-engine, great handling, reliable, stick shift works for me. Both of those cars are too big and too powerful. I'm betting the only place you can really drive those cars is on the track. I know some like the bragging rights of owning one of the most powerful street cars in the world. But I wonder how many of these customers feel comfortable driving them? Maybe if I was young and stupid, instead of being old and stupid, I might feel differently. But I'd rather drive a great "slow" car fast than drive a car that scares me to death.

5. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think both are relatively good looking. But definitely not exciting. My 355 was exciting. My 400 hp Dinan M Roadster was exciting.

Texas Forever and SAFE4NOW like this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Safe bet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

No special version for the f8.
    Also sf90 is close to double the price of f8 so I think you are not aware of the price or are very rich;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    a couple of hundred thousand pounds may only be a bit more to you but to some folk its quite a lot more !

9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    What you describe as “has been happening” since the 1970’s were really minor evolutionary changes. What we are talking about today is the complete cessation of ICE in the absence of better tech. Electric fuel injection replacing the carburetor is not remotely the same thing as battery packs replacing the iconic Ferrari V12. Everyone understands that eventually electric will have both weight and cost parity with ICE, but that is currently a long time in the future. In the meantime, soon, we won’t even be given a choice. It’s as if chocolate and strawberry milkshakes are being outlawed in favor of vanilla milkshakes only. If it weren’t actually happening, I would think it absurd.

10. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    +1, Exactly!

Spezia and Thecadster like this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    That future will literally never exist, ever, mostly regarding weight.

Important to also remember the absolute control that will occur, "your" car will not be yours to control. That future is certain for full EVs, they will be controllable by the government (and criminal actors), complete loss of personal freedom is the end game.

Not to mention there is absolutely no way possible for full EV production in the next 30+ years that will match current annual worldwide production volume of cars/light trucks (about 80 million per year), maybe never. That's the most puzzling part of all these 'plans' various car companies have, there is no way VW, for instance, will produce, per year, 11m full EVs anytime in the next 30 years. So either these various car companies are planning on dramatically downsizing their production or they really have blinders on, we'll see. Maybe banning of personal vehicle sales is in the mix (in 10 years time), so only "fleets" can purchase, and everyone has to use a "service" to get around...because there is no way that many 100kWh battery packs are going to be produced annually to match existing production.

Nevermind producing 600m+ (just USA and Europe) to replace the existing fleet. To produce 600m+ full EVs (just one time) will, on its own, take nearly a century, never mind needing to produce 80m+ per year for, none of this makes any sense, unless the game plan is to announce no new ICE, EV only, but due to low production volumes only fleet sales allowed, and move everyone away from personal transport....

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I appreciate all the opinions on hybrids and electric. All valid points. But, honestly, I just can’t wait to see what the damn thing looks like.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Please don’t take this the wrong way, the problem with Ferrari today is too many fan boys who will buy whatever they make. Competition is a good thing. Just like in F1, Ferrari needs to step up to the plate and hit an out of the ballpark home run. Rust never sleeps.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jpalmito likes this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Certainly one doesn’t have to like Ferrari’s product lineup. Nothing appeals to everyone. But, they are the undisputed heavyweight in the ultra high-end sports and GT segment. They dominate the competition, and one has to admire there business model. I get that a certain segment of the market longs for days gone by, but they continue to churn out product that people consume. This is coming from someone who’s owned modern cars, but chooses to focus on older models. I wouldn’t exactly characterize the buyers of Ferrari’s current lineup as any less passionate or serious about their hobby. Just because people have different tastes doesn’t mean they deserve to be disparaged.

15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    If the "fan boys" didn't buy my 328 when it was new, I wouldn't own it now. I'll never denigrate the folks who can buy these things off the showroom floor, or who can order them before the new models even exist. Depreciation is my huckleberry :)

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You bring up a good point: Political reasons are the sole reason for the electric proposition. There is good proof your point has merit.

Let me simply provide you with 10 thing that has nothing to do with social policy, but pure market realities.

1) Oil is more expensive than electricity per mile, more volatile in price, and unless your JR, you have no way to control, (say if you take yourself off the grid) with solar/power walls - reverse charge)
    2) No more trips to Jiffy Loop, far less brake wear, way fewer consumables.
    3) Two words: Instant Torque.
    4) No need for multispeed transmission
    5) Less NVH
    6) Quieter (remember those Rolls Royce commercials?)
    7) You don't have to waste time going to a place simply to 'fill up' - you doing it overnight every day, Ironically I plug in my 3 Ferrari anyways (Tenders)
    8) Safety, IIHS constantly shows EVs while not fireproof, catch fire far less than a gas-powered car (ugh yeah) - The lowered center of gravity helps to handle as well.
    9) With 1/5th the components of ICE, they are more reliable
    10) Cheaper in the long run to own.

Notice, none of these things have anything to do with your main gripe. I did not mention the environment, liberal policies, or anything 'subjective.' Sure, some of the things are seen as demerits by us exotic car owners, but we represent less than 1% of all buyers. (namely sound, DCTs and the SF90 are not exactly what I call a Shelby Cobra from an NVH standpoint)

All 10 things I listed above are either TRUE or FALSE. They either are the way they are because of Politics (as you posit) or due to Physics/Reality.

I said it many times, for 95% of car buyers (read: non-enthusiasts) it comes down to cost/value. If electric is cheaper than ICE with the same or better performance, it will win. Nobody rents VHS tapes, buy CDs, or pay their paperboy anymore.

That doesn't mean I'm telling folks they can't have their DVD cabinet proudly displayed when folks come over.

You do you.

flat_plane_eddie, Dom and greyboxer like this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Oh agreed. Cars have a subjective component that has to be judged. I'm not decrying that, in fact, I embrace it. I prefer classic Ferrari myself. So you're preaching to the choir.

However, there are 'objective' measures - top of the list - speed - that is either 'better' or 'worse.'

Pretty simple as that.

Again, do you want the new Ferrari to be faster (or at the very least in the ballpark) or far slower than the competition?

If you say the latter, do not be offended if Ferrari management and I disagree politely.

anunakki likes this.
  18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I certainly do not mind and in fact could really like a NEW V6 sports car from ferrari but please just no turbo and forget the hybrid while we are at it lighten it a little make it a little smaller ..like say the 2022 911 GT3 500 plus hp 9000 plus RPM and great sound …and while we are. At it throw in a stick…I-like the sound of 500hp in the right car it would wonderful..I know. . One day ferrari will have to deal with new regulations but today Porsche will build over the next few years 10000 of these GT3 sports cars so why cant Ferrari……
    I would be good to mention I love my 246 dino….

Texas Forever and Thecadster like this.
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I don't even know what the heck a "fan boy" refers too. I suppose we're all fan boys. So was Phil Hill, Steve McQueen, the boys that dream of owning one someday, the doctor, business owner or lawyer who loves his Ferrari and takes it to events, and many others. Some 'fans" have one car, some have 20, some have none. Some prefer vintage Ferrari's and others like the new models. It's all good. I often get the sense that some on here think they are a superior fan because of they like cars from a certain era or enjoy their cars a certain way. You can sense some peculiar anger in their posts.

Anyhow, back to the topic. It will be exciting to see what they unveil. It's always exciting to see a new Ferrari model.

HotRodDan likes this.
  20. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    #45 GTHill, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    3 day ban for ginoBBi512 for P&R rant outside of P&R.

anunakki likes this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Your command of the subject material is impressive for sure, but you seem to have missed my core assertion despite my use of full caps to drive the point home. Once more, owners are not demanding this shift, regulatory forces are dictating it. I am correct when I explain to my kids that broccoli is better for them, but they don’t enjoy me force feeding it to them. Worth noting too, of your list of 10 key advantages, only the “instant torque” feature is anything that most Ferrari owners would give a flying blank about.

I will end with a fun thought exercise. Imagine that Ferrari were to offer each of the following cars in 2026 for the same price point. Perhaps with proper developmental budgets and focus, each of these cars could be designed and builds. Which would be more sought after?

1). A visually stunning 3100 lb mid-engine V12 with 1200HP, a 10,000 rpm rev limit, no GPF.

2). A visually stunning 3400 lb mid-engine EV with 1500HP.

Maybe I am by myself (“doing me” as you suggest), but the car that I lust for will never be made, and it’s not because I am longing for a clunky steam engine, it’s because certain powerful forces have joined together (producing cool talking points and lists of features/advantages/benefits along the way) to force the industry in a completely different direction. After all, EV is like broccoli, it’s good and good for you, and you never have to take your Ferrari to Jiffy Lube again…

Jpacione likes this.
  22. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont care if the new Ferrari is faster than the competition. As long as it can do 4 sec 0-60 Im happy. Anything faster doesnt matter to me.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes, I have no doubt you feel this way.

Hence, I said many folks believe Ferrari should no longer worry about going faster. You have every right and are not wrong to personally want this.

I just simply disagree that each new Ferrari should not get faster.

Both valid opinions.

Kind regards.

Natkingcolebasket69 and anunakki like this.
  24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My biggest problem with Ferrari is their attitude toward their customers. You gotta buy a POS to get the car you want, for example. I dunno. They will keep doing it as long as fanboys keep buying everything they make. I'd love to see some pushback to get them back to reality.

As far as looks go, Ferrari, McLaren, and Lamborghini are all starting to look the same. I guess there is only so many variations on the angry insect on LSD theme. The only new Ferrari I've liked how it looked was the Roma. It looks like a Ferrari.

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thread ban or site ban? It’s too bad bannable posts are deleted because then we don't get to see where the line is drawn.

ebobh15, Thomas Magnum and Thecadster like this.