488 - My Car was hit yesterday, Person Ran a Red Light | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 My Car was hit yesterday, Person Ran a Red Light

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Badbruno, Jun 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Yes I want it totaled

2. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M

3. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Who putting glass in Ferrari?

4. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Sorry you had a beauty here too

how did you send it total loss?

ryalex likes this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Especially since it is a spider, I could never trust that mechanism again after a hard smack.

Diminished value plus loss of use is really hard to get a fair value on. They will nickel and dime you for YEARS

Badbruno likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I may be wrong, but that looks like a write-off. That's a big shunt, no telling how much damage was done to the unibody frame. Cracks, twisted etc. I'd be surprised if the insurance does not total that one.

Demand a write-off and start over.

What a shame.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Badbruno, LVP488 and Thecadster like this.
  7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Met with the body shop people and then applied continued pressure to the property damage adjuster. Only took 3-4 days for them to come to that conclusion.

Badbruno and Thecadster like this.
  8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Lauderdale is a great dealer…got mine there cool place

9. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Had the insurance company transport the car to Fort Lauerdale Ferrari . They have one of Five Ferrari Coachworks body shop in US. Im figuring that it doesnt get total at least they know how to paint Ferrari PPG and do the repairs properly..

Now we wait for Ferrari to perform their estimate to repair buy removing all the panels

Thank you everyone for your concerns with health and well being.. Todays concussion protocol keeps you active and fully engaged with day to day life rather than.. old approach, dark room and no stimulation.

Chizz likes this.
  10. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Yes II Co-Pilota, And after we got the all brake problems all squared away!

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Glad to hear the process is underway - and glad you are doing okay.

In my experience with things like car and motorcycle crashes, usually the emotional damage is worse than the physical damage. Hang in there and do something to take your mind off things. That's my advice. When I wrecked my street bike, I was laid up for 3-4 months on the couch and was concerned I might die in my sleep the first couple of nights from internal injuries, etc. Took several months before I could walk normally and use my left hand to lift anything. But the emotional damage of what had occurred was worse. Luckily, one of my girlfriend's jumped on a train and came to help nurse me back to health.

Anyway, hang in there and hope you feel better. As much as it much sucks to have your Ferrari crashed up like that, just try to remember it's just a car and the important thing is that all your arms and legs are still attached and/or that nobody was hurt to the point of broken bones or anything.

It will be interesting to see what the insurance company comes back with.

Life is an adventure huh? :)

Ray

Badbruno likes this.
  12. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Ray

Sounds like you were in a big wreck and have recovered well!! Your exactly on point with me, because Im not mangled up I'm focused on the Ferrari more than anything.. Its just a car and I'm so lucky she wasn't driving a large pickup Truck or that my wife wasn't in the car with me. Its only a car

I hope you're all mended up!! :)

Bruno

RayJohns likes this.
  13. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Sorry to overlook your very nice sentiments Ray. But I wanted to make sure no one missed this line. Bro you are my new hero! Not only did the babe jump on a train to get to you but… it was “one” of your girlfriends!!
    U DA MAN!!! :cool:

Mikael-F360 and RayJohns like this.
  14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm all better these days, but now and then my wrist still cracks (there's a bone in there which is sort of snapped off) and that doesn't feel so great. haha.

The motorcycle crash was 5 or 6 years back, but I definitely don't recommend crashing a motorcycle at high speeds :) My left hand / wrist took most of the damage (broken in 3-4 places) - it basically looked like someone hit my hand with a 20 lb sledge hammer. I also cracked a couple of ribs and broke a toe when I slammed into the dirt embankment and concrete gutter - skinned both knees (one almost down to the kneecap). I still have scars on my knees to remind me that high quality motorcycle gear is a lot less expensive than a visit to the ER. Definitely not a fun time, but in the long run it teaches you a lot about what's important and to not take life so seriously. Having almost died a few times definitely changes your view on a lot of things. Also makes you appreciate having two hands and feet that all work - something most of us take for granted. Myself, I do all my dishes by hand and after the motorcycle crash, I was unable to wash dishes or even hold a glass of water - or open a jar - for several months. I also couldn't lie down in bed (due to my ribs), so I had to sleep sitting up for 3+ months on the couch. That's really fun, let me tell ya! But even so, the emotional aspect of "what have I done to my body" and "how did this happen" was worse. That takes a while to wrap your mind around and I'm sure that's an aspect for you, plus the loss of your Ferrari there just sucks.

But yeah, be glad nobody else was in the car or the other person wasn't driving a truck or something. I've had several pretty bad crashes with passengers and that's no fun at all, so really lucky your wife wasn't included in any of this.

Aside from nearly killing myself on the motorcycle, the other worse crash I had was back when I was 24 (I'm 55 now). I had a head-on collision at approximately 70 MPH with a large truck (I was in a small race prepped street car and the truck turned right in front me me while attempting a U-turn). Nothing I could do. I slammed right into the side of the truck; the last thing I remember was hitting the clutch and brakes and sliding into a big white object. Pow.. lights out.

I remember waking up and thinking I was at home in bed having a dream - and in this dream, the crash was replying over and over again in a loop. Let me tell you, it was a very odd sensation to think you're at home in bed, but wake up to the realization that you are down town in the middle of a car wreck with people bleeding and screaming. The woman in the passenger seat had failed to put her seat belt on and went through the windshield. She required plastic surgery. I remember looking over at her and seeing her teeth through her cheek. I'll spare you the rest of the story, but we both ended up in surgery that day.

Also, it's worth mentioning that sometimes Ferraris have a bad habit of bursting into flames - if they are hit just right. The gas tanks are very close to the exhaust manifolds. My buddy Gary crashed his Enzo about 10 or 12 years ago and the car burst into flames with him in it (they think he died prior to the car exploding, however). So be glad the impact was on the door and not the rear quarter, because the gas tank on most of the Ferraris is just aluminum last time I checked and in some cases you'd be surprised how close the tank sits to those hot manifolds back there.

The main thing is I'm glad you are okay and super glad your wife wasn't along for the ride. Flesh and bones don't repair nearly as easily as aluminum and paint does.

I'm going back to bed. Glad you're doing better man! Good luck with the insurance company.

Ray

VAF84, Chizz and Badbruno like this.
  15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Haha.. well, technically she liked referring to herself as, "Not my secret mistress" :)

Super sweet girl, Natasha. I met her at a coffee shop and let her crash at my place for a few months while my kids and their mom were living down south. They all knew each other and everyone got along pretty well. When I wrecked the bike, my kids' mom was busy taking care of our new born, so I just told her I was going to have Natasha come down to help nurse me back to health, since she was busy taking care of our son at her mom's house.

You can actually hear Natasha in this video talking.. super sweet person and really showed me how great life can be when you are with someone that enjoys the day and doesn't take everything so seriously. She really helped change my perception of life and what is and isn't important. The fact that she came down on the train from Oregon (a 2-3 day ride as I recall) to help nurse me back to health and take the edge off getting back on my feet is something I'll forever be grateful for.

Ray

Chizz and Badbruno like this.
  16. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello Bruno,

So sorry to hear about your baby, but thankful you are ok… Hopefully you do not have to retain a lawyer to ensure you get a fair settlement on your car.

Rexcat

17. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Hi Rexcat,

I’m very reluctant to engage these folks, and they want 33% of the settlement.. I might need on for personal injury.

Any advice to share with me or experience, a suggestion who I might use ?

18. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I hired a company that specializes in diminished value claims and they provided me with a report and dollar amount, I then submitted that to the at fault insurance company. They did pay out, although it was not as much as my DV company calculated. Better if you can go that route without getting an attorney involved, but then again even better at this point if the car can be totaled and not have to deal with any of the mess…

Badbruno, Chizz and Thecadster like this.
  19. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Rob yes getting it totaled is the cleanest path forward.. thanks

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    So happy you are OK.

You have crazy motor car insurance there in the States.

But i ask if the car was 403 K was that total including taxes etc, ? If its Totaled what will you get ?

Badbruno likes this.
  21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am a member in a men's club, just for fun, but I am going to recommend you sir as our Honorary Overseas President (position created just for you). LOL!

PS: I am glad that you all are okay after your crashes.

ScottS and RayJohns like this.
  22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Tampa Ferrari

23. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Good idea Bruno. Once the airbags are deployed insurance company might just do you a favor and total it. Unless you want to keep this particular car forever, just push to get it totaled and move on. Here's to a speedy physical and mental/emotional recovery.

Badbruno likes this.
  24. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    soooo sorry!!!!!!! Sucks!

25. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    My son has exactly the same color Spider, calipers, wheels, etc. Total twin. I had a F430 and took it to Wilde (at the time, they had the Maserati dealership - now only Lexus and Range Rover) in Sarasota to have a small paint repair (about a foot long) over the wheel well. About twice the price but impossible to find the damage afterwards. You will have a deprecated value situation on your hands thanks to CarFax even if the repair is perfect. Grateful that nobody has touched my 488GTB or Portofino.

Badbruno likes this.