Stalling while decelerating to a stop | FerrariChat

Stalling while decelerating to a stop

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by djs308, Jun 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Been experiencing a stall while driving in recent weeks. Weather is quite warm. While approaching a stop sign, or red light, I've typically used brakes to slow down 75% of the way, and then engaged the clutch while letting it coast to a stop in neutral. My DD doesn't mind that. But in the Mondial, it seems that the rapid RPM drop is too abrupt, with the tach indicating revs rapidly bottoming out. I've had the engine stall on me a few times, but not always. Did not happen at all in colder months.

While testing, If I wait until just prior to stopping before engaging the clutch, the RPM drop is more gradual and no stall occurs, even though the tach is showing engine speed at idle, while stopped and in neutral.

I've had it stall while reversing out of my driveway at a snail's pace. In that instance, I just give it a little more gas to compensate, and it's fine. In all other driving, the engine is operating just fine. Producing good power all the way up the rev range.

Is this an issue regarding my technique, or is there something I need to further investigate with the engine's operation?

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Throw some fuel injector cleaner in a very low fuel tank and go for a quick drive, i used to come up to the halt sign with a dead engine and no brakes. Doing this once a year is enough

3. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    That typically happens when your injection is set up too rich, or has degraded, and is running too rich. Having the a/c on, accentuates the engine load at very low speed causing a stalling condition. When this doesn't happen in colder months, the air density is all different, not causing this condition ( and your a/c is also probably turned off)
    Gary Bobileff

moysiuan likes this.
  4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Is it a US version 1987 Mondial 3.2? (Although regardless of version, it shouldn't undershoot on free engine deceleration.)

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #5 moysiuan, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    As noted, that means the fuel mixture is too rich. Take out a spark plug and you will see it is likely black from over fueling. The cause could simply be the mixture adjustment needs refining, but it could also be a sign of leaks within the fuel distributor. Might be time for a fuel distributor rebuild if it is original, the rubber items in there degrade with time and modern fuels. My car presented similar symptoms initially, and eventually got worse to the point where the car would barely start, and the fuel distributor was the cause.

You might turn the mixture screw one sixteenth of a turn counter clockwise, that will lean things out and might solve for things. Do not play around with this, as small adjustments have big outcomes. But these cars are not so easy to set up with the mixture correctly in the first instance, as ideally you need the gas analyzers that many garages no longer have for emmissions testing.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  7. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Dont adjust anything......Have the fuel distributor serviced.

8. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Thank you all for your excellent info! And yes, Gary, the A/C HAS been on when the condition presents itself. Steve, yes, it is a US Spec coupe. Will have to get this looked at. Awesome help, folks!

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You have a few good options to look at but try the injector cleaner in a low fuel tk first before you rip things apart.

djs308 likes this.