458 - Cant shift to gear 1 | FerrariChat

458 Cant shift to gear 1

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F485, Jun 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Hello 458 passionated

Few days ago i accelerate from 0 and the light gearbox pop up. I realised that the gear doesnt shift to gear 1. I switched off the car and i started on again and same issue remained.

Does anyone heard or faced this issue before and whats the solution?

Thank you guys

2. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Could be a sign of a transmission issue. Many people report not being able to shift into even or odd gears when this happens.

Best to call your local dealer and make some plans to get it checked.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F485 likes this.
  3. Amrit Singh

Amrit Singh Rookie

Mar 17, 2016
    Full Name:
    Amrit
    Hi there, if you need a gearbox please let me know I’m based in dubai.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    What happens when you accelerate from a stop? Does the car start out in 2nd gear? Will it shift normally through all of the other gears (reverse, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th), or does it only shift into reverse and even numbered gears and not any of the odd numbered gears?

The only issues that I have seen with first gear is that the 1st/3rd gear shift fork breaks into two or three pieces. Have you downloaded the fault codes from the DCT ECU? If so, what are they?

I would not drive the car any more, as you could cause more damage to the gearbox. You might be able inspect the condition of the 1/3 shift fork by looking through the gear oil filler in the rear cover with a bore-scope. It is possible to change the 1/3 fork without completely dismantling the gearbox (just removal of the rear cover, but you cannot access the gear oil pickup screen to clean any metal debris from the screen without taking the gearbox all apart.

I would recommend downloading the faults from the ECU. Drain the gearbox oil through a filter and inspect for metal (aluminum) and black plastic debris from a possible broken 1/3 shift fork. Then inspect inside the gearbox through the gear oil drain and filler ports using a bore-scope camera to check the condition of the shift fork and look for any larger pieces of debris.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

F485 likes this.
  5. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.
    After 2 days I started the car and everything went smoothly brother. I asked 2 technical persons and they informed me that normally it happens when the car do quick downshifting it doesn't shift to gear one to avoid overload on it so it keeps it to gear for safer mode. I think its time to change the oil fluids for better performance.

Again thank you for your kind clarification I will try check it up and find out why it happen.

Regards,