FORMULA 1 EMIRATES GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2021 - Le Castellet.....RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 10 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 EMIRATES GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2021 - Le Castellet.....RACE...... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Max outlap 2 seconds faster than what Lewis managed. In lap Max was .6 faster. Sensor is after their respective pitboxes I think so Max's inlap was MEGA. Slower pit and 2 seconds faster than Lewis'.
    Unfortunately fixing such a hard to overcome problem (high tyre deg + bad at high speed corners) really isn't easy.

+1 It can be an exploding tyre, badly manufactured part that'll cause a massive swing in points easily. If Baku tyre didn't explode Max would've finished first lewis 3rd...Max would now be leading by a comfortable 28 points (he also had fastest lap). Having 30 or so points in the bag allows a nice cushion of comfort. Remember 2007, Kimi was 17 points behind lewis with only 20 up for grabs in 2 races...The equivalent today is 40 points behind with 2 races to go, if my pre-coffee math is correct. Well, Kimi managed to win that...so you're absolutely right in saying a 25 point lead is far from a ''done deal''.

2. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Not what we wanted to hear after the progress shown this year; but I hope that the decision pays dividends in 2022. :)

3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I think this year is a write-off as there’s really nothing fundamental they can change in the car anyway. And the farther they fall down the standings the more aero analysis and wind tunnel time they will be allocated for next year. :)

Having said that, they should be better at the next two races. They can’t be worse, ha-ha.

kes7u, Jakuzzi, stavura and 3 others like this.
  4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Absolutely. I think to make enough time gains it would basically require a completely new chassis. What's the point...need to crash test it, takes months to do. Money/time better spend for 2022.

ingegnere likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yes there are 15/16 races to go. Over 2/3 of the championship left. Hopefully it stays tight and may the best win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas likes this.
  6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Funny, but I remember them saying that the in-season testing ban and limits on development were intended to reduce costs, to curb any advantage to higher funded teams --- to improve competition across the season.

And one team has been largely dominant since.

Seems it didn't really work.

Bas likes this.
  7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They also said the V6 hybrids where implemented to reduce costs. Well that didn't go to plan...
    V8 Era engine cost was around €5-8 Million per season for customer teams. Currently engine lease is around €30 million per season. An insane amount of money.

For 2006, Cosworth reportedly spend only 15 million to develop the V8 engine. Hybrid engine development cost is over a billion.

375+ likes this.
  8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I thought everyone was saying that the hybrids were because Bernie's daughter got "woke" as a greenie. :p

stavura and Bas like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    lol:p but no

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Mercedes full radio transcript with Bottas. Man this guy is not valued an ounce in that team.

kes7u likes this.
  11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    He took a lot of money to accept being humiliated all the time. I have no compassion for him.

kes7u, stavura, JJ and 3 others like this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    When Bottas won the Russian GP last year and netflix showed the ''party'' (they even told him ''party in 10 minutes!") and he was literally the only person there, drinking a heineken by himself, I fully understood why Rosberg left. That's Lewis' team and Bottas is purely there to help him and occupy the 2nd seat because it says so in the rules.

Giallo 550, nsxrebel, JL350 and 3 others like this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Put your tin foil hats on.

The wind tunnel hours allocation for next year is decided after the first Austrian race. The difference between 3rd and 4th is a 10% of wind tunnel time. What if Ferrari is giving McLaren the 3rd place for now to get that extra time?

DGS likes this.
  14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Dont hold your breath for next year either, have you looked at the 2022 technical regulations?

There is an important article within these set of rules, Article 3.2.4, it title is called - Digital legality checking, seems innocent...but, it states !

" The assessment of the car’s compliance with the Aerodynamic Regulations will be carried out digitally using CAD models provided by the teams. In these models: a. Components may be designed to the edge of a Reference Volume or in such way as to satisfy a geometrical criterion with infinite precision (save for the normal round-off discrepancies of the CAD system), provided that such a design is not intended to circumvent the intention of the relevant regulation. b. Components which must follow a precise shape, surface or plane must be designed without any tolerance, save for the normal round-off discrepancies of the CAD system."

Clever indeed - In other words each car design will have to be downloaded into the FIA CAD system and if it doesnt fit their "pattern" then its rejected. So one mould fits all.

Also Appendix 1 regulation volumes is even more restrictive as many items on the car are also limited by size and CAD co-ordinates so again creativity is destroyed. 2022 F! will end up as the most homologous racing series ever conceived, apart from NASCAR i guess!

I doubt you will see much difference between any of the cars visually except for the colour schemes.

Although alarming on the technical aspects of F!, the driver input may increase and skill returns once again. Ditch driver aids and we may get a little bit of racing.

As for the tyres, they are already on the shelves having been closely monitored by the FIA and their band of ex F! technical warriors who seem to have lost the reason they got into the sport.......... competition.

Best

Tony

DF1 likes this.
  15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Just think how many commands and rules Schumacher had, being that he "built the team"

16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Wolff welcomes Bottas’ feistiness over Mercedes F1 team radio
    By: Luke Smith
    Jun 21, 2021, 4:36 AM
    Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff welcomed Valtteri Bottas’s feisty radio messages during Sunday’s French Grand Prix, saying he was glad the Finn didn’t “internalise” his feelings.

Mercedes kept Bottas on a one-stop strategy, much to his displeasure as he vented his frustration on team radio, asking the team: “Why the f**k did nobody listen to me when I said it was a two-stopper?”

Bottas told his engineer soon after that his tyres were “f**king finished” before being overtaken by Sergio Perez, relegating him to fourth place at the chequered flag.

Speaking in the media pen after the race, Bottas said he did not believe he had gone too far with his initial message, and that he was simply “making very clear what I was thinking”.

But Mercedes team principal Wolff had no issues over Bottas airing his thoughts publicly, saying it was good he did not keep it bottled up.

“I loved it, that he speaks his mind now, and doesn’t internalise,” Wolff said. “We still believe the one-stop was the better strategy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes W12, in the pits

Photo by: Glenn Dunbar / Motorsport Images

“But when fighting so strong after the stop, we just stretched the tyre, stressed the tyres too much to make it all the way to the end.”

Bottas maintained after the race that a two-stop strategy would have put him in contention for victory, having ran closely to Verstappen and Hamilton through the first half of the race.

Wolff was pleased with how Bottas had performed despite his late drop back to fourth, believing he has made decent progress with his race displays recently.

“I still think that he delivered a good race to be honest, because he was right up there with Lewis and Max for large parts of the race,” Wolff said.

“I think the development goes in the right direction, to be honest. Yes, there is still a part, or a gap in tyre management [to Hamilton]. But we’ll look at it in detail in the next few days.

“But I see a real progression with how Valtteri tackles the races, and qualifying, we never doubted.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/wolff-welcomes-bottas-feistiness-over-mercedes-f1-team-radio/6592779/

17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

It’s unimaginable how many lies Wolff can say in a single interview.
    He really has the talent for taking people for fools.

kes7u, jcurry, Giallo 550 and 5 others like this.
  18. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I am hoping this race was the turning point of the season as Redbull start to romp away from Mercedes, Hamilton has been very lucky so far (Imola, Baku).

Picchu88, Bas and ingegnere like this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Imola especially, a gift.

Picchu88, nsxrebel and Bas like this.
  20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    How do you know Toto is lying?

His mouth is moving and noise is coming out

nsxrebel and jpalmito like this.
  21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    That would make a lot of sense, and i would buy it if it was Cesare Fiorio in the lead, not Binotto..but i could be wrong...

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Wolf is such a piece of crap.....

jpalmito, Bas and crinoid like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

How was it the better strategy since the winning car beat his own car like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Intersting, Horner "used" Perez (the master of tire preservation) to mess up Merecedes tire strategy to go for a one stopper ALL THE WHILE knowing full well Horner would pit Max for a 2 stopper......that's forward thinking.

25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Classic split strategy. Finally the have a driver that has the experience they need and capability. Too bad it took them YEARS to see the 'light'.

nsxrebel likes this.