Manual transmission question. | FerrariChat

Manual transmission question.

Discussion in '360/430' started by DRAGANFERRARI, Jun 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DRAGANFERRARI

DRAGANFERRARI Rookie

Oct 12, 2016
    Hello fellow enthusiasts,
    I sold my gated 360 spider and I am once again in the market for a manual transmission 360, my question is: how do I know the car was built with a manual and not a conversion? I’ve noticed whenever you run a carfax it always says F1. Does it normally state it on the original window sticker? Is there a way to decode the vin? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    For a 360, you can pretty much bet the car is a manual from the factory. The kits to upgrade (really, downgrade) to the manual seem to be more expensive than the differential between the two options. That said, there are probably a handful out there. One clue would be the lack of a cavallino on the gate. Depending on the level of the change, it could also be seen with extra bits in the engine compartment for the F1. A brand new clutch pedal might also be a clue it's Frankenstein's monster.

A build sheet from the My Ferrari website would also prove it as the F1 was an option and will appear there.

The VIN doesn't break down options as far as I know. If the conversion was done professionally and all the parts were properly sourced and switched, the end result should be the same.

As long as the conversion was done properly, I doubt the difference in sales price between the converted and factory will be that significant. Personally, I see this as more of a 430 issue than the 360.

3. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Euro cars have a sticker under the hood called 'ECE Approval'.
    The Codes are:

• F131 ABM = 360 Modena 6 Speed Manual
    • F131 ABE = 360 Modena F1
    • F131 ADM = 360 Spider 6 Speed Manual
    • F131 ADE = 360 Spider F1

Non-Euro cars do not have this sticker as far as I tell

Red 27, DiabloTerr and EastMemphis like this.
  4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Checking with Ferrari is the only fool-proof way, but top tip would be to look for plugs on the steering column where the floppy paddles would have been.

Caphill, hessank and DiabloTerr like this.
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    The copy parts are easy to id. The clutch pedal and shifter tower are not exact copy and do not have Ferrari pn’s.

Caphill and DiabloTerr like this.
  6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The copy parts sure, but there are certainly a few conversions out there that used all factory parts.

7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Brogan—. I bet you could see where the f1 pump was bolted to the engine area…. Should be tattle take marks.

I bet you could interrogate the ecu’s for swap footprint?

look for the f1 paddle plastic trim covers…. Which were not factory??

8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Agreed - there will be evidence in the engine bay of where some F1 parts used to be, or still are. Problem is that these might eb hard to identify unless you really know your stuff.

As for the ecu's, most commonly people will reflash the engne ecu's, but they will still have the original sticker on from the factory build. If the ecu says "CE" on it, then its F1.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This isn't 100% though, as at some point Ferrari stopped putting the c.e on, but you could still note down the 6 digit Ferrari part number and have a look on Eurospares and see if that relates to an F1 car or not.

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Brog- could you query a cars service history for any f1 specific service to id a swap car?

10. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Depends what records you can find, but its a bit of a red flag if you find "F1 System Fluid Change" in an old receipt. I think I'm correct in stating that Ferrari never stated a fixed interval for F1 system service however, so you might be limited in what you could get from the dealer. Then again, if you're at the dealer, then its the work of a moment for them to look up a VIN number and tell you what options the car came with.

If you're in the engine bay, then an obvious clue would be if the previous owner who converted the car swapped out the hydraulic power unit for the manual version. Manual 430's still need the power unit for the e-diff, but will only have a couple of connections on the manifold, whereas the F1 cars will have loads more for the gear/clutch actuators.You could look out for evidence that these connections have been blocked off.

Attached Files:

flash32 likes this.