Dealership won't transfer registration for out of state purchase | FerrariChat

Dealership won't transfer registration for out of state purchase

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by S.R, Jun 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S.R

S.R Rookie

Jun 19, 2021
    I'm looking to purchase a Ferrari from a dealership in Texas, I live in New York. I'm trading my lamborghini in to them, and it is going to be a cash deal, as I own the lambo outright, and am just paying the difference in cash.
    I plan on transferring my plates from my lamborghini to the Ferrari, but the dealership is refusing to do the registration transfer. They are saying I need to do it myself at the NY DMV once I get the car. I was told that they can only do the registration transfer when financing the car, not for cash deals (??). I then said ok, I will finance the difference instead of paying cash (very small amount) as it's worth the convenience of them handling the registration transfer. That was met with a big NO as well, as apparently the difference amount is less than the minimum amount they finance.
    This is very odd to me, as I've purchased many cars from different out of state dealers, both cash and finance, and they've always done the registration transfer. Anyone experience this before? I am not sure whether it is because they don't want to do it for a non ferrari trade in or what. Just seems odd and makes it inconvenient.

bball16 likes this.
  2. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Finance the minimum amount then pay it off the first month. That will also cost them their commission on the loan for being so uncooperative.

willrace and GrigioGuy like this.
  3. S.R

S.R Rookie

Jun 19, 2021
    That was my plan, but the difference I owe them is less than their minimum apparently!
    The deal is my lambo plus $5k. It's a $5k difference and their minimum finance amount is $20k.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You may be better off doing it yourself rather than leaving it to someone so uncooperative. If you don’t want the inconvenience of going to DMV use a private title agency if you have those in NY.

GatorFL likes this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You need to do it yourself, that is always what I have to do.

Smiles likes this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you are just transferring plates to another car, can't you just do it online? And if you can't, wouldn't your insurance agent do it for you?

7. Jpacione

Jpacione Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2014
    Sounds right - if you don’t have a lien you generally have to go register yourself. Not as convenient, but nice to have the title in your hands.

8. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    I'd be hesitant to rely on an uncooperative out-of-state dealer to timely handle DMV paperwork they may not frequently process.

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Are you prepared to walk away from the deal if they don't do it? If so just tell them either you guys have to do it or we aren't doing business.

10. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "out-of-state dealer to timely handle DMV paperwork"
    Much rather do it myself...process seems to vary by state and the only time I had the dealer do it, the process was screwed up with wrong tax calculated, etc.

Jpacione likes this.
  11. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    As a licensed Texas dealer, I am not allowed to handle registration/titling of vehicles sold out of state. (Conversely, for Texas buyers, I am _required_ to handle the titling/registration of vehicles in Texas.)

I'm confused why they would handle the registration if the car was financed vs. cash though. That shouldn't make a difference; they shouldn't do the registration/titling at all.

12. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Exactly. Transferring plates from your old car to the new car is entirely done at the NY DMV. Texas dealers have nothing to do with it. They couldn't handle it even if they wanted to. And why would you want them to anyway? It's a very simple process involving one trip to the DMV, just like getting new plates.

pilotoCS likes this.
  13. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    The strangest situation that I have had was buying a 996tt about 16 years ago from a dealer in Los Angeles. I flew out, wrote a check but couldn't drive the car in California unless I paid Ca sales tax. Ended up that the salesperson drove the car to the NV state line and I followed with a dealer car then swapped.

14. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    I just bought a Ferrari from Conn and had too register it myself and the worst part of if all is that Conn won’t issue you a title for a car over 20 years of age. So the paperwork I did and it worked out is I filled out the mv-82 which is the NYS vehicle registration application. Then I filled out the DTF-802 which is a NYS statement of transaction which the dealership will fill out page two of it, then I also did the NYS odometer disclosure and I did the NYS bill of sale where me and the old owner signed. In conn since they don’t issue titles bc of the age I had the owner fill out the conn supplemental of ownership with the sale as well as an original reg. But in your case you should have the title but I would bring all those forms with you and have the dealership fill them out. It took me about an hour to get my plates and reg. But before you do this you need to have your car insured before you go to the dmv.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I've never had an out-of-state purchase register a car in my state.

I did it myself.

What's the issue? Do it yourself.

Get temporary tags and go!

Matt

16. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Yep. Law says you must pay sales tax to the state in which you take delivery. So if you had the car loaded on a truck at the dealer's location and shipped it to you, you'd only have to pay sales tax in your home state when you register it there. But if you drive it off the lot in CA, you have to pay CA sales tax to the dealer and then get a credit when you register it at home, IF your state gives credit for sales tax paid to the other state.

17. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I work for an authorized Ferrari dealer and we use a third-party titling company that handles the titling and registration in other states for our customers. the company we use only works with dealers. I would assume most Ferrari dealers offer this service as we generally sell cars to many different states.

All that being said I am confident there are titling companies who deal with the end-user directly. To the OP - what state do you plan to title/register your car in?

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What is interesting about this is every state has their own laws and requirements. For instance Matt, Massachusetts does not have temporary plates, only permanent license plates. In fact it is illegal for a car with temporary tags from out of state to drive in Massachusetts. If a cop wanted to be a hard ass, he could impound the car until the owner showed up with permanent plates or had it towed out of state.

And Dave, when I bought my 612 from a dealer in Ohio, I had to pay the Ohio 6% sales tax. It didn't matter whether I picked it up or had it shipped, Ohio wanted their 6%. However, they have an agreement with Massachusetts. So when I registered my car I received credit for the sales tax I paid to Ohio and only had to pay Mass the .25% difference (MA sales tax is 6.25%).

Dave Bertrand likes this.
  19. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "Law says you must pay sales tax to the state in which you take delivery. "
    Must vary by state....I have gone on one-way trips to Conn., TN, IL, TX, wrote a check, drove off the lot and paid sales tax at home DMV.

Dave Bertrand likes this.
  20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    But in a similar case, if I bought a car from Massachusetts, I’d expect to get Massachusetts plates that I would later transfer to my home state.

Right?

Matt

21. JHNurse

JHNurse Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2021
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Andy King
    I do think it varies from state to state. Whenever we purchase cars in Utah, the Utah dealer collects the correct excise tax and forwards that our local county in Wyoming. There is no sales tax in Utah, despite collecting the car in Utah. It only depends on where we intend to title and register the car. To that end, the Utah dealer provides temporary tags that we replace with Wyoming license plates as we take title back in Wyoming (after the paperwork transfers). Just my local experience….

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. S.R

S.R Rookie

Jun 19, 2021
    Very interesting responses. My experience has always been that the dealer has taken care of the registration transfer. Whether they had a 3rd party agent/title company do it for them I am not sure, but I never had to worry about it. But I guess that's not always the case! Good to know.

Registering the car in New York. Transferring the plates from my lambo that I'm trading to the Ferrari. Anyone have any experience with title companies in NY who could take care of this for me?

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No. Why would you get MA plates, you would simply get PA plates. When I bought my 612 in Ohio, I didn't get Ohio plates (only paid Ohio sales tax), I wasn't going to garage the car there. I got MA plates and flew out to Ohio, attached my MA plates and drove the car back home.

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    How did that work? Did you have the title to the car before you had possession of the car?

Re-read post #15. I’d always get temporary tags from wherever I bought the car in order to drive it until I got permanent plates.

Matt

gt1995 likes this.
  25. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, I paid for the car, the dealer Fedex'd the Ohio title, went to the MA Registry, transferred to a MA title and got my permanent plates, flew out to Ohio and drove the car back. MA does not have those temporary cardboard plates. The only MA plates you can get are the permanent metal ones.

The funny thing is at the Registry the next plate was 1VD247. I told the woman I didn't want a plate where the only letters were VD. However, all the plates in her stack were 1VDxxx, so I had no choice but to take it. This was the only time in my life that I got a vanity plate FER612!