Rough start/running/stalling issue. Tests to run to diagnose it? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rough start/running/stalling issue. Tests to run to diagnose it?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ketel, Jun 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Sounds like back to basic's, gas, spark, oxygen. Is it running on only one bank? no slow down light eh? coils don't all go bad that quickly.....hmmm. Nor do spark plugs. My fuel pumps started leaking at 40K but no running issue. Battery/electrical issue sounds right. If you can, do the relearn procedure after cutting off the switch for 24 hours. see if that helps. Grounds are another issue with this car. check all those connections as well as the cables at the alternator. HTH
    Brett

one4torque likes this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Agree w Brett, start checking the basics off the list—

fuel
    Gas quality?
    Fuel pressure each bank?

spark
    Heat gun or water squirt bottle test each cylinder to ensure combustion.

codes— scanner
    ltft- will reveal a lot of info — rich lean???

battery—.
    Full charge?
    Good connection?

Drive cycle?
    Consider reset… then run through complete readiness reset.

All of this troubleshooting adds to your f car knowledge tool box… and if you are successful keeps you out of retail bank account redux!

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Fair enough. As it was first on your code list, I thought it might be possible. I don't know if the right bank ECU alone is responsible for putting on the gas tank symbol or either can generate it, but the progressive nature of the fault seems to be pointing in the wrong direction. The only way to completely discount it would be to compare the signals on pin 11 of the inboard connectors on the L/R ECUs.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    I have no idea if it's running on one bank. No, no slow down light

If by "relearn procedure" you mean re-plugging the battery back on, clearing the codes, and drive cycling the car, I have done that several times already. If that's not what you mean, then I don't know what the relearn procedure is

5. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Gas should be fine now. Any old gas in the system would have been burned up by now.

As to fuel pressure, I have no idea. I suppose I will need to learn to check that since I've never done that before.

I've changed plenty of spark plugs but never performed any of these tests you're suggesting.

I've never done a ltft test. Any links?

Thanks

ketel

6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Fuel pressure can be checked w a fuel
    Pressure gage from Amazon. If you are not comfortable doing this get w a local buddy or ind mechanic.

if you don’t have header blankets.. you can take a squirt bottle w water and spray water on each header outlet to confirm each cylinder is firing. This will confirm spark, compression, fuel.
    A heat gun can do this.

ltft- aka long term fuel trims. Obd will read this real time. Ideally +\- 0-3%. Showing ecu is not having to compensate for lean or rich condition.

suggest you team up w a local car nerd guru or indie shop to diagnose. I would help if you were local. Gl!

BrettC and flash32 like this.
  7. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Running on one bank is kinda.....blum, blum, blum...hit gas not much response...blum, blum blum may get faster but engine not firing on one side of motor. ECU can do that if it thinks cats too hot or whatever....that usually is the slow down light issue. Try the water bottle idea....I've never heard that but makes perfect sense. If one side is cold...ecu shut down issue. Relearn is drive cycle in owners manual...certain speeds for certain times etc to help the ecu relearn the fuel trims, etc.

Qavion likes this.
  8. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    I will order a fuel gauge off Amazon. And watch a few YouTube videos.

Of course, these tests assume I can start the care safely, which is a big assumption right now.
    ketel

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Don’t drive around w a cheap non liquid filled fuel
    Pressure gage installed .. they can leak.

I just use it to spot check key in engine off… and engine idle fuel pressure.

just be sure each bank had fuel pressure.

the squirt bottle test is fairly common w the ls crowd. Easy check for coil sp plug fuel inj etc… look for a cold cylinder.

ketel likes this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    A 360 is not a car to learn how to fix your car. Air, spark and gas. Fuel pressure is a good idea. How do the fuel pump fuses look? Usually when a motor shorts or is about to die you can see changes at the fuse.. is it darkened or the metal changed in color? (Fuel)When we’re the coils changed last? What is their date stamp? (Spark) do the plugs have the usual white ash? (Buy 8 and change them out) look in the cylinder while they’re out. MAF? Buy some cheap ones on eBay and use them for diagnostics..

edit: see above..

11. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    If you need i have brand new bosch maf that i never used you can try. I'm over in Burlingame

12. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    BrettC and Qavion like this.
  13. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    - I will check the fuel pump fuses.
    - There is nothing in the service records indicating when the coils were last changed, so I don't know. Where is the date stamp on the coils?
    - I have not yet pulled the plugs, but will check as to their wear. They are only a few thousand miles old per the service history
    - I cleaned the MAFs last week. No difference.

ketel

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When you pull the plugs, take a look on their appearance. Smell them.. fresh fuel smell (after cranking for a minute)? Black? Fresh plugs are a good idea regardless of the miles or condition of the car. Always start simple and work to complex. It's usually something simple... usually.. :)

15. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Check my video and see if this sounds similar to your car. It progressively got worse.

I tried a lot of the things people have mentioned in this thread, but I fixed my problem when I Replaced a MAF.
    Cleaning did absolutely nothing for me.

one4torque likes this.
  16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Listen to Elvis!

17. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Yes. Very similar to my symptoms. My 360 will fart and burble and stall the first few times I try to start it.

Besides just reflexively replacing the MAFs entirely, is there a test I can run to determine if the MAF sensors are bad?

ketel

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    yes.. unplug them (one at a time) to see what changes there are. An engine with no MAF data is sometimes better than a poorly operating one. The ECU has a backup mode with loss of MAF data.

Did you clean your MAFs with proper MAF cleaner? Anything else (including throttle body cleaner) and you're asking for trouble .

one4torque likes this.
  19. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Yes, I used MAF cleaner.

I'll try to start the engine and see if it runs any better with the MAF sensors unplugged.

ketel

Qavion and one4torque like this.
  20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Any luck? My experience with MAF's is don't clean them, just replace.

21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    My experience is that unless a larger amount of gunk is on them .. cleaning them didn't seem to make a difference

When they are sub 100 in many cars ..easy to just replace..same work ..but with Ferrari tax and all .. a cleaning is worth a try

I chased down a lean condition on two different cars/makes after very hot dor a few days and then just replaced maf and bingo ..no more issue

The amount of grams of air as indicated on a scanner real time help me a lot to figure out it was the maf

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

22. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #47 FatMike, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021

How much MAF cleaner? Spray many many small bursts.

Also clean the MAF electrical contacts with electrical contact cleaner. I just did that to my new to me 360 and I perceive a difference.

I still think your issue is the old fuel that ran through the system.

/

one4torque likes this.
  23. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    I'll tackle tomorrow. My order of operations will be: (1) check fuel pump fuse and relay to make sure they're good; (2) turn key to "II" position to see if I can hear the fuel pump working; (3) check fuel pressure.

If those check out then it's not the fuses or fuel pump. Will then perform the MAF disconnection test and clean MAF sensor contacts.

If none of those work, I'll order new MAF sensors. Any good sources/links for reasonable MAF sensors for the 360?

ketel

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The pumps don't start working until the engine starts turning. 40 rpm's to be precise. Your previous car also operated in a similar fashion. The crank sensor signal is responsible for measuring rpm.

I was originally thinking that the crank sensors were causing your problem (they can progressively fail), but you don't appear to have any fault messages for these.

You can jumper the relays to run the pumps.

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    ... sockets 3 and 5.

Note that live battery power is on pin 3, so expect some sparks when hooking up the jumper (unless you have your battery cutoff switch in cutoff).